fok oil seals

I'm about to replace my leaky oil seals any tips or things to look out for I should know about..Its been awhile but I have done them in the past on my old 96 Rm 250 but I want to make sure I do it right on my 04 450

Thanx Craig

Here's a step-by-step with pictures:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/fork_seals.htm

Look for scratches and nicks that you can feel with a fingernail. Some pretty small stuff can cause a new seal to leak. Sand them out with 240 grit (or so) wet/dry in a cross hatch pattern. don't worry about the finish on the tubes. the normal fork operation will restore that in a while.

thanx man

Man I don't think I'm up to do this ..What whould it cost to have them done?

Man I don't think I'm up to do this ..What whould it cost to have them done?

You will pay a lot to have it done, or you can take your time and do it yourself for much less. I just replaced my seals on my 03. I used the guide posted by gray and my bike manual for the specs. It really is'nt as hard as it seems.

The only things from the post I would like to add would be:

1. For my 03, and I think the 04 is the same, you will need a 14mm hex tool to remove the base valve. I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts tightend together for this and it worked fine. I looked for a "real" tool for this but could not find one.

2. I could not get the gas line castle nut tool to work out for me. I used a piece of PVC pipe and cut the end with a utility knife. It worked great.

Hope this helps.

You do not have to remove the dampers or the base valve to do a simple seal replacement. Just remove the springs and knock out the seals. It does make a better job to remove the valve, because it lets you clean it up more thoroughly, but it is not required at all. Most shops that will charge you $125 to $200 are not going to remove the base valves for that kind of money, anyway.

You will pay a lot to have it done, or you can take your time and do it yourself for much less. I just replaced my seals on my 03. I used the guide posted by gray and my bike manual for the specs. It really is'nt as hard as it seems.

The only things from the post I would like to add would be:

1. For my 03, and I think the 04 is the same, you will need a 14mm hex tool to remove the base valve. I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts tightend together for this and it worked fine. I looked for a "real" tool for this but could not find one.

2. I could not get the gas line castle nut tool to work out for me. I used a piece of PVC pipe and cut the end with a utility knife. It worked great.

Hope this helps.

Sears, Snap-on, Mac ect sells the 14mm 1/2 drive allen socket

Which seals have to be changed, would just lower seals do it?