Down to 2.

okay, I checked out the financing options and whatnot for all the different models and Im down to a decision between 2. Either the Suzuki DRZ400 or the Kawasaki KLX300. To sum up my riding style, lots of singletrack and exploring, usually pretty technical, overnight trips. I also want to haul ass and rip around on the natural MX tracks out in the hills. I just dont know enough about either to decide, and I dont know anyone whos ridden them and I dont really wanna take either of the dealers word for it that their product is the best, lol. The last bike I owned was a 1998 KTM 380 EXC. Had lots of problems, fun machine, but really cramped. Oh ya, and Im 18 6' tall and 190ish lbs. if that helps anyone.

To sum up my riding style, lots of singletrack and exploring, usually pretty technical, overnight trips. I also want to haul ass and rip around on the natural MX tracks out in the hills.

Both are great bikes. While I don't own either one, I've spent considerable time on both. The DRZ's motor rocks but the bike is tall, heavy, and the suspension is strange on the ones I've been on. My buddy has a KLX and while doggy in stock form, can be made to run with some mods. It feels considerably lighter (to me) than the DRZ and the suspension feels great.

I'm a big fan of flickable bikes in the ugly stuff. While the KLX isn't light on its own merit, to me it makes the DRZ feel like a tour bus. Again, just my own opinion based on my own seat time on each.

Either one would be great but your comment about the technical stuff would steer me to the Kaw.

Are you looking at these bikes because they are street legal? Correct me if I'm wrong but they are both street legal correct? That would be the only reason I could see buying either on of those pigs, because everything else you mentioned as far as single track and mx tracks makes no sense with either one. But if your Dual sporting it that is a totally different story. Never ridden either so no advise on which is better.

of course it the street legalness would be a very nice option so I dont have to trailer, but later I would want to strap on a desert tank and maybe play my had at a desert race. But I like the long distance riding, and Ill have no problem handling those bigger bikes, I do a lot of off road riding with my 425 pound BMW F650 GS Dakar. But theres just a lot of places Im a little uncomfortable with a 12,000 dollar motorcycle with really expensive repair costs for not so spectacular crashes. But If you guys have better suggestions within those 2 brands (kawi or suzuki) let me know too

Well from the sounds of what you want to do you need to swing your self down to www.KTMtalk.com and look at a few pumpkins. They by far out do either of these and have bikes that will fit your needs for single track, natural MX, and desert with little if any mods. Try looking at the 400 or 450 EXC as it might just be the ticket.

-Zack-

Edit: I own page two. Wow I never own pages and I have had four today.

A yamaha WR450F might be something to look into. It is an inch taller than the DRZ which would help with how big you are, and it also weighs about 15lbs less. It has more power, which would be good if you wanted to dual sport it, and you could strip some of the stuff off of it, (light, taillight, odometer, etc. etc.) and you could do alright motocrossing it. Just for fun of course, wouldnt have a chance if you tried to compete with it. Sunflash was right ktms are great, the only problem is they usualy cost a good bit more than the competition.

Disregard the ktm talk web sight, those guys are pricks, they think they are something special because they own KTM's. Ktm's require 4 times the maintenance that the drz's do. As far as drz's being not good for single track? I disagree, thats all I ride and I keep up just fine!!! here is some drz action.. I wouldn't buy the street legal DRZ. If you want it street legal, buy the E and then get the kit to make it legal.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/drzridertony/Tony05.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/drzridertony/Tony13.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/drzridertony/Tony08.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/drzridertony/tonyjump.jpg

I did not mean to imply that either of the bikes were no good, but for single track and mx they would be close to the bottom of the list. If street legality is an issue, then of course they move right to the top. The guys at KTMtalk are great, I spend as much time there as I do here. KTM makes great bikes and you should take a look at them because they have so many different models to choose from unlike any of the japanese manufacturers. They also do not cost significatnly more if any, and the parts are easy and in the same price range as the japanese bikes.

I did not mean to imply that either of the bikes were no good, but for single track and mx they would be close to the bottom of the list. If street legality is an issue, then of course they move right to the top. The guys at KTMtalk are great, I spend as much time there as I do here. KTM makes great bikes and you should take a look at them because they have so many different models to choose from unlike any of the japanese manufacturers. They also do not cost significatnly more if any, and the parts are easy and in the same price range as the japanese bikes.

Pumpkin - 2005 KTM 525 $7908 o.t.d.

Dog Sled - 2005 Suzuki DR-Z 400 S $5880 o.t.d.

(i did have to put a few $ in the DRZ,but not much)

Well as far as the comment of KTMtalk guys being pricks I think you are sorely mistaken as they have been the most helpful groupe of guys I have ever met in the moto world. I had one issue and it was just that I did not really get their sense of humor on one issue. Straightened out and all was well. And yes the KTMs cost more but for that you get more. I own a DRZ and it was ok I liked it for what I got it for but once you have ridden a more commited and modern four stroke it feels very over wheight and under powered. I hope that you find the bike that you want regardless of what it is but I do not feel the need to call any groupe of people "pricks" because of it. I do not like some of the people here on TT or their attitudes that does not mean I would bash the whole board. You really need to grow up and learn to respect that not everyone sees things the same as you do and that is part of life. No go riding to blow off some of that steam and come back when you can play nice with the rest of the adults. -Zack- :applause:

I'd get the DRZ between those... I had a 01 400e that was fun, easy to ride, and reliable as could be...sold for my YZ because i wanted a mx bike.

also, when i had a ktm, i spent a fair amt. of time on ktmtalk and never thought they were a bad group of people.... maybe the problem was on the other end?

I have DRZ 400s and have found it to be the perfect, woods, trail, hill climbing machine. The YZ 250 is ok in the woods, trails and hills. It really shines on an open track or open trails. That said, the DRZ is ridden much more often due to having a plate on it. The DRZ is a bit tall though. I'm 6' and 200LBS so I can manage it. If I could do it over again I'd at dual sporting a WR450F.