Best GPS for Trail Riding / Dual Sport

Garmin models like the 76CS and 60CS seem to be the popular units here in CA. If you do some research you'll find the 76 series is built to tougher standards than some of the consumer units. The 76 isn't even recommended for hardening.

The Garmin Legend and Vista units are cheap as heck right now. They're good full featured units, the screen is just a little small for real time navigation.

GPS, they're the new bread crumbs!

The "S" is for sensors like barometer altimeter and other goodies. It's a more feature packed unit. Unless you're doing pilotage and offshore fishing, you may not need this feature. One of the features is a graph of your climd and descent in graph form. I have it and sometimes it's kinda neat to see. It's also good for plotting weather. Again, you might not need this feature for trail riding.

The "C" is for color screen.

I like my Garmin Rino 130, they have a new 500 series also, they added

some features and a bigger screen. Built to mil specs, I guess the guys in

Iraq like them for the peer to peer location sending and 5 mile radio.

Cool features if you ride with other rinos.

If you dont need or want the radio the 60C is a nice unit.

Cycoactive is a terrific source for information and mounting accessories, but be aware their GPS prices can easily be beaten by a substantial amount. As an example, you can save $100 (almost 25%) on the Garmin Quest by shopping elsewhere. You might want to buy a complete GPS Dual Sport kit, including handlebar mount, from Cycoactive for the convenience, but you won't save any cash by doing so.

John Davies

I got a great price on my GPS60CS at gpsnow.com.

I'm always wary of online retailers but I have placed a couple orders there, for the GPS and also for accessories and software, and they delivered exactly as promised. They are definitely worth a look when you are ready to buy.

We too are looking to get a color GPS unit. From everything I have read the Garmin are the most popular, so I am leaning to the 60C or 76C.

I have also heard that Magellan and Lowrance have some nice ones. Does anyone have any experience or insight into these?

There are a lot of new GPS on the market now, but my favorite for East Cost Dual Sport riding in tight wood where hand guards are a must is the Garmin V. My next favorite is the Garmin 276C, I have both and find the 276C hard to beat.

Yeah, the V is great but outdated, small memory and serial port map transfer sucks. I'm happy with mine though.

Would love a 276C, not enough cash right now.

I like my Garmin Rino 130, they have a new 500 series also, they added

some features and a bigger screen. Built to mil specs, I guess the guys in

Iraq like them for the peer to peer location sending and 5 mile radio.

Cool features if you ride with other rinos.

If you dont need or want the radio the 60C is a nice unit.

I hate mine. What a pile. The GMRS radio functions to about 1/2 the range of others. A tree canopy will cause it to lose sat reception.

5miles = 1mile

A pile thats going on Ebay.