1997 DR350 Repair Manual?

Greetings all,

New member here to introduce myself and ask a question if I may. I am somewhat new to motorcycling, just rode dirtbikes exclusively as a kid. I currently live in Colorado and am ready to take up this sport again. I will be taking the MSF class here in a few weeks and plan on starting on something smallish that is street legal but can also handle some off road excursions. I am looking at a '97 DR350 here locally that seems to be in fair condition.

My question is, is there any place I can find a repair manual for this year/model bike (Clymer manual or otherwise)? I've done some searches online but the closest I have found is a manual for year models 1990 - 1994 at http://www.themotorbookstore.com/motobooks/suzdr19.html. All of the other search attempts returned just this year model manual. If I cannot find a manual for a '97 model, will this '90 - '94 manual be close enough? Thanks much.

Sure seems like that's the only one I've seen...Aside from something direct from Suzuki, which is kinda pricey, if I remember correctly...

These things didn't change much, aside from some suspension upgrades in later years, and '94 model year featured the electric start, so that's in the manual (I just looked at mine). So there should be enough crossover to more than make up for what the Clymer omits even if one's model year is '90-94 :applause:

And welcome to the forum, from another Coloradoan with a (barely, anymore) 350 S-model!

dpike,

Thanks much for the info, and the welcome. Mind if I ask how long you've had your DR, and how you feel about it? Also, since you are also from Colorado, any suggestions for good trails in the Northern front range from the Denver area over to Breck or so? I'm also curious about what kind of riding is available in this area during the winter months. Any suggestions where the snow is manageable? Thanks.

Well, I got my DR this last spring and have been having a good time on it, to be sure. I come from many years in the mountain bike world, and probably should have bit the bullet and purchased something more contemporary, esp. in terms of suspension, as I'm kinda eclipsing the capabilities of the mighty DR. That being said though, she's so easy to ride that it was a great bike to start with. And I don't have radiators to get smooshed on all the rocks out here like the new stuff, and the extra weight is makin' a man outta me...

At this point the bike has the dirt carb, dirt rear damper, and some home-modded stock forks w/emulators and stiffer springs. And all the unneccessary street accessories removed. And much lower gearing (13:48). This winter will see the "RM fork swap" and the clutch basket get clearanced (so the clutch engages consistently when hot) and some height added to the seat so it's not so unnatural to go from seated to standing. So far the best changes have been the dirt damper (provides at least some rebound control) and the fork mods so that it doesn't deflect off of every little root.

My impression trail wise for winter is that we may have a few opportunities down at Rampart Range depending on snowfall/temp patterns, and certainly at the tracks along the Front Range proper. The Lefthand OHV area just north of Boulder will also offer pretty much year-round access and can be a good technical workout. I always make a point of checking out the "Rocky Mountain" section of the "Who, Where, etc. to Ride" forum here on TT, as it is a great source of conditions and trail access issues.

Dave

Welcome to the forum.

I don't want to ruffle ant feathers talking about another forum but I'm going to anyway.

www.mazimum-suzuki.com

Another forum that I am a member of. There is a guy who has taken the DR factory service manual, 90-97, scanned every page and put it on CD. He does not profit from the sale of the CD but does charge for shipping and the disc. PM me if you want his e-mail.

The reason this is important is Clymers has some fatal errors in the pages that fellow max-zukers have found, and that's not good.

Welcome,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I wish that I had found the CD before spending the $100, but I'm looking at the factory manual now and there are inserts for changes for each year, so while it is largely the same since 1994, it is not completely the same. The front fork rebuild section in particular is different for 1997 models. YMMV...