brused foot.

All rite guys,Last month i purchased my first four stroke"04 tc 450" I've put aprox 80 mi on the bike.Had the kick kit put in and out of many atemps,hundreds of kicks sweating, and cussing ,ive only got it to fire up twice.HELP theres has to be a method.This thing has crazy compresion..........My arch cant take any more...............So help this X two stroke guy.

Hi, Welcome to Thumpertalk. The kick starter on the husky is a little odd. I make sure the bike is at top dead center before I try the method. I kick through slowly until the piston comes up to TDC, then I pull in the compression realese and slowly push the kick starter down until it just starts to get easy. This is where I let the kick starter return to the top, Make sure the kick starter is as far up as it can go while keeping pressure on the lever to keep the kick gear engaged. Next I forcefully kick the lever (Do not stab at it like a 2-Stroke) like I am kicking through to the front wheel. Always make sure the lever is at the top, the starter gear is engaged and the piston is just past TDC before kicking. If you go to far past TDC you will not start it. I started a 2005 TE510 in my Leather work shoes the oher day first kick. Never touch the throttle while kicking never. And remeber sometimes the kick starter gear does not grab. I hope this helps Mark

FB,

I go back and forth between 2 and 4 stroke Huskys. The starting drill on my '01 TE400 is a little different than newer TC/TE's, but I did ride an '06 TC510. On the TC510 you need to use the manual decomp to find TDC(hard spot) and then bring kickstart back to top and kick through smoothly. Don't swat at it like a 2 stroke. I've never kickstarted an '04 with a Mikuni, so I can't comment on choke, throttle, etc. Does your dealer have any advice?

Norman