15/50 Sprocket setup

Does anyone run a 15 tooth up front? I want to know if it is worth getting a 15 for desert riding/dual sporting. It is not the speed I really want it is the mpg increase and lower rpm?

You may run into a problem with the chain rubbing to hard on the chain guide.

15/50 will move the chain-path outward and you may also get some damage to the roller on the frame when bottoming.

Just a thought.

That is a good point. I put on a new chain yesterday and I saw how close it was. I was thinking of buying a new case saver and grinding it down a little.

I routinely run 15/47 or 15/48 gearing with no problems on my 99 WR400 for open desert dual sport rides and some of the faster, less technical GPs like the Viewfinders in Ridgecrest, CA. I'd be surprised if you have any problems on your 03 450.

I have run 15/50 without issue. Nice to have lower rpm when cruising down fire roads and open desert trails. :applause:

Does anyone run a 15 tooth up front? I want to know if it is worth getting a 15 for desert riding/dual sporting. It is not the speed I really want it is the mpg increase and lower rpm?

I spend half the time on my bike with a 15 counter.. It's an easy way to increase MPH..

You may run into a problem with the chain rubbing to hard on the chain guide.

15/50 will move the chain-path outward and you may also get some damage to the roller on the frame when bottoming.

Just a thought.

Nope, not me... No chain guide problems at all.. No damage to the roller either... The only downfall is you lose some snap off the bottom and for tight stuff you'll be clutching more, other than that there are no problems with the fit of the 15t.

I run the 15- no problems- ok even for tight trails, sx and mx.

I run the 15 tooth when I have my 450 set up for supermoto. I did have to grind a small amount off the case saver though, but not enough for it to be an issue.

i run 15/47 for desert. had to buy another case saver and grind it down a little. no problems yet.

I have run the 15/50 with no problem but the top end seems never ending it is fun.

i run a 15/44 on my motard on the street and it still lights ite up nicely...its great.mind you 17 wheels.

Here in New Zealand 03 WR450 comes out with 15 stock and road legal. Most people throw it away and replace with a 14 for off road.