Sign in to follow this  

Tired Battery Question

I noticed that the voltage was at 13.4 volts with the bike running at idle but when I increased the revs it dropped to 12 something... Is that normal or is that a sign of a bad regulator or something?

-Gene

Is there really a difference between these battery choices for the DRZ on rockymountainatv.com?

Motor Power No Maintenance Battery $39.99

or

UASA Standard Battery $69.99

I went through 3 batteries in 2 years on my DRZ. Finally I got smart and spent $30 on a Battery Tender Jr. I keep the DRZ hooked up to it 24/7 when I'm not riding, and the battery is always at full charge, and has lasted 2 years now. HIghly recommend a Battery Tender for any DRZ rider.

Yep, I do keep it on a battery tender in between rides. I'd like to find out about the expected voltage level when the bike is charging it to see if mine is working correctly.

Also what's the deal on the different prices for new batteries? I thought they were all built in pretty much the same factory?

I don't know, but the OEM battery lasted 2 yrs, the $69 battery has been in since last Feb and is going south already. I will need a new sometime this winter. :applause:

I noticed that the voltage was at 13.4 volts with the bike running at idle but when I increased the revs it dropped to 12 something... Is that normal or is that a sign of a bad regulator or something?

-Gene

youve got a charging problem.check the reg/rect plug.if melted,restore and retest.

youve got a charging problem.check the reg/rect plug.if melted,restore and retest.

Thanks Burned, that's what I needed...

buy the equivalent trickle charger at Wally's for $17

:ride: A battery tender is not the same as a trickle charger... A trickle charger is a manual charger and puts a small charge on the battery continously... that's the problem... once the battery gets 100%, the trickle keeps coming and will eventually boil the battery even at the small charge it uses...

A battery tender is computerized and constantly monitors battery condition... then it sends the battery only the amount needed to keep it 100%... once its full, it cuts off the juice until the battery needs more... at $35, it really works well... not only keeps the battery at peak perf, it makes it last for years effectively paying for itself in the first year or so. :applause: Andrew

TIP: get the waterproof version...$35 and can operate up to 6ft UNDER water!

Burned is correct, charging problem.

As for battery maintenance, Schumacher Model WM-1562A 1.5 amp charge to peak detect, then cut off and monitor. $17. at Wally.

Great item, been using several for years, bike, camper, 6.5TD truck and generator.

Great item!

:applause::ride:

Bike at idle should be up near 14 volt, so you are loosing voltage some where. reseat all connections, battery ground , and all wires from stator and reg.

If stator was bad, lik in my case you wouldn't even see 13 volt, try that see if voltage comes up

Burned is correct, charging problem.

As for battery maintenance, Schumacher Model WM-1562A 1.5 amp charge to peak detect, then cut off and monitor. $17. at Wally.

Great item, been using several for years, bike, camper, 6.5TD truck and generator.

Great item!

:applause::p

Be careful using that kind of charger with these gel batteries the DRZ uses... look on the battery itself and you'll see that it can handle a MAXIMUM charge of 650 milliamps (.6 amps) if I remember correctly. Your charger is 1.5amps...double...this will work for a while, but the battery seems to die off quicker in the long run...over time it seems to hold less and less of a charge, then quits all together... TT is full of failed DRZ battery threads,so some searches would probably illustrate this point very well. :ride: Andrew

I guess I should have been more clear the Schumacher will apply up to 1.5 amp until battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts and the charge current decreases to .5 amp, at this point the internal voltage reference will change (indicated by an amber color LED that changes to green) to 13.2 volts, at this lower voltage reference the charge current is typically .001 amp. This low current charge state can be left hooked to the battery indefinitely.

This is the best charger for the $$. Also comes with quick disconnect cable and connectors that can be left hooked to the battery terminals and you can plug in the charger when the bike is not in use.

As to the original question. Burned is right. There is a charge problem. The reason the voltage drops is the RR internally thinks everything is fine and starts to shunt current. But there is a voltage drop someplace between the RR and the battery. Likely the 2 wire connector out of the RR, but could be any wire or connector pos or neg between the RR and the battery including the battery terminals and/or the fuse. Check for melted parts and hot spots. This is a good candidate for the RR re-wire.

What do you guys mean by "gel" battery? My DRZ came with a lead acid battery and the replacement Yuasa I purchased was the same. The battery is shipped dry and you have to add acid.

I don't quite understand.

Maintenance free battery's used in DRZ are not gel type. That was an error. They are AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries. You put in liquid and it is absorbed by the glass mat separaters so there is very little free liquid in the battery, but it is not a gel type. AGM batteries are not overly sensitive to charge rate but do not like to be over-charged. Most of the battery tops give a 10 hr charge rate and a 1 hr charge rate. You can be sure the DRZ electrical system charges faster than the 10 hr rate whenever the battery needs the charge.

Maintenance free battery's used in DRZ are not gel type. That was an error. They are AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries

Thanks for the correction Noble:worthy: I'm glad you caught that so TT was not misinformed! :applause: It's been a while since I've looked at my battery ever since I put the battery tender on it! :ride: Andrew

What do you guys mean by "gel" battery? My DRZ came with a lead acid battery and the replacement Yuasa I purchased was the same. The battery is shipped dry and you have to add acid.

I don't quite understand.

Hmmm...the OEM one I bought from a Suzuki dealer came sealed, no servicing needed. :applause:

In my limited experience Yuasa brand DRZ replacement batteries come dry and you (or the seller) adds the acid pack. Then the seal strip is installed. GS brand (and other brands) come factory serviced. I'm rather favorable to the GS brand battery that came in my 00 E. Still going.