major mantience after break in?

my dealer reccomends a major mantience after break in but my dad broke his hip this weekend riding with me and cant take me to the dealer for at least 6 weeks..i cant go this long without riding and my bike is way over due for a service..i am going to do it myself..here is what i can do..Oil, air filter, and transmission oil, i can replace the spark plug myself, i can do the valves if someone tells me the size feeler guage i need...do i need to lube the cable?...how do i adjust the cam chain?...and any other tips you guys know it greatly appreciated

at the top of this forum, read how to perform valve maintanence.

this will walk you through the procedure. Although your bike is probably okay.I would just change the oils and filter. Read your manual to check things like clutch cable, etc. Spark plug is fine. just keep riding.

for the feeler gauge? a standard set will work. just keep trying different gauges till you get a snug fit, and read the size of that gauge. is it tighter than the tolerance? or looser? Then you will need to change shims. (you must buy a shim kit) If it is pretty close to the tolerance I would just keep riding it. good luck.

heres what you should do after break in. (what I do anyway)

-Check and tighten spokes they will be loose

- Check tyre pressures

- let the air out of forks (the bleeder screw at the top)

- Check all controls, adjust clutch to the right freeplay

- Check radiator coolant

- Change oil and filter (both trans and motor)

-Check valve clearences (not really nessasary, nice to know)

- Tighten chain

-Change air filter

and finally never go to the dealer, they just rip you off, just ask the guys on here for help and spend the money on some tools to do it your self.

let the air out of forks (the bleeder screw at the top),, whats is this, what dpoes it do, do u jjust have to let the air out and not replace it wiht, nitorgen

Rear shock had the nitorgen and you do not need to touch it.

The forks have Air bleeds. the forks can trap extra air in them and you need to relaese that. We do that every weekend of riding. Elevation changes make the air build up even more. All forks do this to some degree.

ok so far here is what ive done...air filter, chain, bleed the forks, adjusted the clutch cable, checked all the controls, changed the engine oil and oil filter and change the transmission fluid..im waiting for my feeler guage and cable luber to come so i can check my valves and oil my clutch cable does that sound like everything i need to do for a major manteince job?