Sign in to follow this  

Rev limiter kicking in early?

I have a 04 YZF 250 with a FMF titanium 4 and powerbomb header. When i start to get it in the upper rpms it just starts to sputter like the rev limiter kicks in. Ill ride my friends and his just keeps pullen. So I put the stock exhuast back on and it maid alittle difference but it just doesnt pull hard like his and when it gets into the high rpms it starts sputteren. Im going to get a new spark plug and a zip ty fuel screw just to mess around and see what I can do. Im not sure if it is the ignition or what so if you have any suggestions that would be great thanks.

This sounds like a jetting problem. You've probably got the wrong main jet. What size main jet are you running.

Buy the Zip Ty Fuel Screw as it does make adjustments a lot easier, however it works only on the pilot jet element from throttle closed to one quarter open. Presume when you say high rpm you have the throttle more than half open in which case the bike is running on the neddle or main jet. I would suggest taking the carb off and checking the float bowl and main jet for dirt. Blow all the various holes in the carb with an air line. When you put the carb back on make sure the boots front and rear are sealed correctly. Checking the spark plug is always a good idea just to see what colour it is. Good luck, let us know how you get on

I have all stock jetting in it i did play around with the fmf jet kit but i couldnt get it to run better then the stock jets. Im headen to the shop to get the zip tye screw and a new spark plug ill update you later. Thankyou!

"Ill ride my friends and his just keeps pullen"

Damn right haha. Did you ever find your spark plug tool? I guess mines in my toolbox, if you cant find yours give me a call tommorow.

Good luck on getting this worked out. My 05 had this same issues a few weeks back and it took me 3 days to get it working again. The sad thing is I dont know what I did to get it working. I removed and cleaned all electrical components, changed the plug, then a new coil with no luck. Then I re-jetted up and down without any luck. Then out of the blue it started running right. Seems that others that have had this issue also do not know what fixed the problem.

Mike

Good luck on getting this worked out. My 05 had this same issues a few weeks back and it took me 3 days to get it working again. The sad thing is I dont know what I did to get it working. I removed and cleaned all electrical components, changed the plug, then a new coil with no luck. Then I re-jetted up and down without any luck. Then out of the blue it started running right. Seems that others that have had this issue also do not know what fixed the problem.

Mike

Yup I had that problem on my 05 as well, did exactly what you did. I found some arcing in my spark plug boot so I made sure it was on right and put in some di-electric grease. It works good now!!! I too chased the demon with jetting up and down, etc.

I got that zip-ty fuel screw and it fixed my problem! I also put in a new plug just incase but its runnen like a champ. Thanks