Can i powder coat my frame? CA Street Lega?

I have an 05 YZ450F.. I want to ride this on the street next summer! This is a red sticker bike in california! That means you can't convert it to street legal easily?

What about powder coating my frame covering up the VIN # and then getting it registered like a custom bike?

CHOPPER 450??? :applause:

To the best of my knowledge, the California Air Resource Board and the AMA agreed to a fixed number of dirt bike conversions to a street configuration and plate.

The argument for this conversion was for riders that were forced to ride a paved road (non-OHV) as part of a complete trail system. Mostly Northern California.

And I think I read somewhere that the number of legal conversions had already been met. Right around 20,000. Additionally, the limit was only applicable for one more year, which may have been 05. In other words, no more for 06.

However, anyone can build a custom bike or vehicle and receive a new VIN number via the CHP. It requires a set of forms from the DMV, and a legitimate amount of validation as to where the original motor and/or frame came from.

I was never able to find anything that says that it is illegal to remove a VIN number, but there is one condition - you can't do so if it involves any type of criminal intent. So, there is obviously a balancing act between the CARB/AMA ruling and the amount of customization you do with the bike, as recognized by the CHP.

Lastly, you can legally convert any red sticker bike to a green sticker bike, (if you know what you're doing) which could possibly allow you to re-convert this to a street bike. However, the cost and paper work to do so is more than any of us would want to bear.