What kind of oil do you use?

I try and change my oil after every ride or race, if i dont ride much in the day your fine to ride on it again, just try and change it like every 6 hours of riding, if your a stickler on it then your bike will last for ages and treat you good, if you use paper filter try and change that every 2 oil changes i use a scotts stainless filter so i dont have to buy a new paper one every time and just clean that every oil change. I use bel ray oil not the synthetic stuff im not sure what its called.

First of all , Welcome to the forum.

At the top of the page there a button called "search". This is a topic that has probobly been cover at least 100 times. Many answers and opinions out there. There will be plenty of reading for you to do. A sample:

Best oil, favorite oil. oil change. etc.

I change my oil after every ride and clean my scott's stainless filter every time as well. As for oil Mobil 1 red cap. You can't buy it anymore though. When I found out they pulled it from their product line I hit the auto stores and purchased several hundred dollars worth. :applause: I like to stick with what works.

Welcome to TT, Scotts Stainsless or CRT, Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. Change it every three rides depending on conditions and how hard I have ridden. Clean filter every other oil change period. A search will give you a lot of good info and blah blah, so do the above.

PS. for the first couple oil changes, use petroleum oil(stock 10/30) for break in and change right away( 1 hour of riding). Then switch to Rotella T, nothing wrong with Mobil 1 15w50, except price and maybe lack of availability in your neck of the woods.

I asked the same question a while back when I bought my '05 WR250. I went with a stainless filter (CRT) and I run the Rotella Dino oil. I change it every two rides which for me is about 80 miles or so.

I had the engine and tranny checked out two weeks ago by my local engine shop before I put her away for the winter and was told everything was in great condition with little or no signs of noticable wear. :applause:

By the way the Rotella is $6 per gallon at Walmart making an oil change around $3.

Whatever you choose to use, as said 1000 times in the past, just change it on a regular basis and it really does not seem to matter what you use.

David :ride:

:applause: I still wonder if there is a difference ( for the motor ) between synthetic and mineral oil. Which on is better? :ride:
Synthetics offer several advantages, generally speaking. They usually have a higher flash point, which keeps them from vaporizing as readily at high temperatures. They usually have superior resistance to oxidization, again making them tougher at high temps, and more stable when stored for weeks at a time. They usually also have a higher viscosity index, which allows them to behave more like a multigrade oil with fewer of the viscosity improver additives that the transmission likes to grind up. This should give them better resistance to viscosity shear down. Many synthetic base oils have shown superior film strength under extreme pressure.

But that's just the base oil, and does not take into account the additive package. Some dino oils and blends are better choices than some lower quality synthetics. There are a lot of good choices available, but the most important thing is to change it often.

Also read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2685432#post2685432

I change oil every 100 miles which is about 2 or 3 rides. I use the paper filter and drain it overnight at 100 miles and new every other change, which is still a lot more frequent than the manual recommends at 1000 km's I believe.

Amsoil syn 20/50 summer, Amsoil syn 10/40 winter.

Also the frequency of oil changes should depend on your riding characteristics, etc. :applause:

Chanage the oil as often as you can. It can get expensive, but Yamaha reccomends you change the oil every three (motocross) races in a YZF. Honda owners have to check and change theirs even more often though because they hold 600cc less oil than the other brands. I change my filter during every oil change, but you can go up to 15 hours on the same oil filter before it needs to be changed.

I use Maxima Maxum 4 15w50 100% Ester Synthetic. With its viscosity and weight, it is safe enough to use year round as long as the temperatures in your area dont fall below 41F degrees or exceed 104F degrees...give or take a few and you'll still be fine. During break-in however, dont use synthetic. Use Yamalube 10w40.

http://www.maximausa.com and http://www.thumperfaq.com

Oh yeah, and welcome to ThumperTalk. :applause:

our bikes need oil???
Devastating revelation, is it?

Alternative (read smartass) answers to the question at hand occur to me:

> Engine oil

> Good Oil

> The best oil (can't be used as an answer to "what's the best oil?")

> My favorite oil

> Clean Oil

> the same oil I always use.

> Do a search (you won't really get a definitive answer, but you'll get to read a lot)

:applause: