Please help me adjust my 01 yz250f suspension 190lbs

I have a stock suspension i rode the bike on the settings the bike had and then i put the high and low damping force on the rear shock to the maximum to fully tuned in position on both.

I also did the same thing on the front forks, rebound to 10 clicks out (i think it was 20 out when i bought the bike) and compression damping to maximun

Now after riding the bike again in prarie city, wich was my previous ride before i changed the settings i noticed a big difference seemed like.

The front tire just wanted to slide from under the bike on turns, and they were not tight turns either. I looked in the manual and could not find the stock settings for the rebound on the front forks, but for damping compression stock is 14 clicks out.

Here is what it says for front and rear

Front forks:

rebound: Stock 12 clicks out (10 clicks out right now, was 15 or so when i got the bike)

compression damping: Stock 14 clicks (maximun in at the present time)

Rear shock:

absorber rebound damping: stock 11 clicks out (present dont know)

low compression damping: stock 7 clicks out (present at maximin in)

high compression damping: stock 1 1/4 turns out (present at maximun in)

are there any heavy 190-200lbs riders out there with the yz250f's have you guys figured out your settings yet for good handling, if you dont mind sharing please do i would like to know atleast where abouts i should be with my weight.

please share you settings and how much you weigh.

thank you

nick

well i thought the bike was a bit to soft for my weight, but it didnt bottom out off the small jumps or anything, since im a noob, but i thought id play with the settings and see what its like at different settings.

now i know how maximum feels and how it was and i would like to know what other riders at 190-200lbs with same bike have their bikes set at, wich will help me set my bike up properly knowing atleast the ball park where i should be as far as suspension settings and my weight.

Have you weighed yourself with gear? You might tip the scales ten pounds heavier with gear. At 200 pounds, you will never get the sag set right, and if you max out the spring you run the risk of damaging the spring, and a loss of performance instead of a gain.

The is no reason any clickers should ever be run at maximum or minimum settings. Read the tech articles in the suspension forums, make notes of what you want to achieve, and how to attain it (ie, woods rider vs. motorcross) Put every setting at stock and then adjust from there. Write down the movement away from stock (ie +3, -2) Keep good notes. Go ride, and pay attention to certain traits.

Your front fork should be able to be set on a setting which has no under-steer, or over-steer on flat ground, in average traction. It takes a few rides to get it, but when you do, it is awesome. You probably want to get the oil level checked in the front fork.

I recomend a revalve from the pros, especially for the rear. Forks can be tuned pretty close in stock form.

well what i will do is this... ill set everything back to stock and since the stock is for 165lbs person and for a 200lbs person thats like a 15%+ difference so then ill add 15% to the stock setting, meaning if 20 clicks is maximum and its set at 7 clicks for stock then to add 15% to 7 would be ....(calculator time hehe) 1.95 clicks so add 2 clicks.

so to im going to do 15%+ add to all stock settings and i keep it there and adjust from there.

165lbs / 200lbs rider settings:

Front Fork

Rebound - stock 12 clicks / 10.8 clicks

Compression - stock 14 clicks / 13.1 clicks

Rear

Rebound - stock 11 clicks / 9.7

Low Compression - stock 7 clicks / 5.1 clicks

High Compression - stock 1.25 turns / 1.14 turns

those will be my settings, will see how that rolls next weekend

so to im going to do 15%+ add to all stock settings and i keep it there and adjust from there.

That's not going to work.

For one thing, "clicks out" will soften the travel. The clickers are valves that control the flow of shock oil. Cranked all the way in, they are most resistant to flow. All the way out, they offer the least resistance (softest suspension).

As a heavier rider, you will PROBABLY want to turn them "in".

Your "15% rule" is flawed to it because the number of turns is not based on 0-100. For one of your examples, 12 clicks vs 13.2 clicks (I actually calculated 13.8, 12*1.15), but that would only work if there were 100 clicks. There aren't... it's more like 0-20. 15% of 20 is 3, so a 15% adjustment on a setting range from 0-20 would be 3. To adjust 15% firmer, go 9, to adjust 15% softer, go 15.

But again, that's not going to work.

If your spring rates are off, then you'll never get it right with the clickers.

If your sag is incorrect, you'll never get it right with the clickers.

#1 - Install the correct springs for your all-up weight.

#2 - Set your sag correctly for your new springs and your weight.

#3 - Fine-tune the suspension with the clickers.

yea you are right IN not out and i did adjust the sag correctly the other day, and also i wasnt doing 15% from 20 i did 20 - 7 clicks for example = 13 and 15% of 13 and then 20 - 11 clicks = 9 and 15% from 9, this way the 15% rule is not adjusted if there were 100 clicks, since every setting is different then 15% of each setting would also play a big roll. In other words 15% at the work will not be the same amount of clicks at the rear but it will vary depending on the stock setting itself.

i just edited the 165/200lbs rider section

I weigh 204, but I'd hate to replace the rear spring since my 06 came with TI. :applause:

I'm trying to lose weight, I've already lost 3lbs in my first month. I think I can get down to 185 eventually.

You can do better than 185.

Almost 2 years ago, 3/25/2004, I was 220 at 29% bodyfat. I was 197 on 5/6 at 21% and I got down to 185 at 17% by the end of July and 181 by the end of August.

The first month I lost over 15 pounds. If you have only dropped 3 in one month, then you aren't on the right track. I can bounce up and down 3 pounds over a couple of days.

Proper diet and a lot of time on the treadmill.

You can do better than 185.

Almost 2 years ago, 3/25/2004, I was 220 at 29% bodyfat. I was 197 on 5/6 at 21% and I got down to 185 at 17% by the end of July and 181 by the end of August.

The first month I lost over 15 pounds. If you have only dropped 3 in one month, then you aren't on the right track. I can bounce up and down 3 pounds over a couple of days.

Proper diet and a lot of time on the treadmill.

That's awesome dude! Keep up the good work!

-Phill

Just quit being cheap and get the correct springs dude.

-Phill

that is what ill be doing, ill buy new springs as part of the plan, but wont be able to install it for a while cuz of limited time with work and not enough time to play, so ill pretty much leave my settings at stock for now.

>>If you have only dropped 3 in one month, then you aren't on the right track.

I'm shooting for getting under 200 by xmas. One reason I'm going with slow/steady is I've started out waaay out of shape. I'm a computer programmer and have done almost no exercise for many years...

Being back on a bike is awesome and I'm loving it:

Week 1: Had to pull over and rest after one lap around mx track, massive arm pump.

Week 2: Got sick to my stomach (twice) red gatorade not pretty on brand new blue 06 250F...

Week 3: Was able to do 4 laps before pulling off!

Week 4: Cleared 4 tabletop jumps (Riverfront Marysville CA) Woohoo!!!

I'm pretty pumped up so far, maybe my weight is fairly stable because I'm losing fat and gaining muscle :applause:

Ya... Gatorade, straight, isn't the best thing. It's loaded with sugar AND sodium, and will easily cause stomach upset, especially if you down too much of it at once. Mix it down 50/50 with water and it'll work a lot better at the track.

It does take a bit to get going on a new program. When we are badly out of shape, our bodies are conditioned to burning sugar instead of more efficient carb and fat stores. This throws our blood sugar out of whack and causes dizziness and nausea.

It takes a couple of weeks to get beyond this, and you do NOT want to continue the workout once you feel any lightheadedness until it completely passes.