Tires for mud/rocks/woods

Hey guys (and gals) it's time for me to throw some new rubber on my 250X and i was hoping that i could get some ideas from you all. I have Maxxis Its on my crf150 and i love them; they hook up decently and they last forever. So i was considering them for the 250. Basicaly what im looking for is a tire that will give decent performance in all situations and doesn't wear out insanly fast like the stock D756 on the rear does. Any and all ideas are welcome, and if i could get a link as to where to purchase the tires that would be great! Also, for those of you that have tried the trials tires on the rear, how have you liked them and what are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance

Chris

The new terraflex tires suck. I had an old one, it wore good. My buddy got a new one and thrashed it in one ride. It fell apart. I have had great luck with the IRC tires. The M5B has worked really well for alot of us here in Montana, and the VE series has been great too. The Michelin S12's dont last long out here, so most guys wont run them. But alot of guys do run the M12's up front with the IRC M5B on the rear. Try a few out, see what you like. You will get plenty of input around here.

I have m12's front and back. The m12 back is more of a mud and sand tire and wears really fast. I have two races and probably 4-6 practices on them and the back is really wearing fast. But, when it was new it was great. I ride a lot of rocks and sand and race cross country (TORO). If you can afford to change good tires often that's what I would do. Otherwise, you will have to put up with somewhat poor performance to get a longer lasting tire. Soft tires hook up better, that's just the way it is. One thing I have heard of people doing is grinding the faces of the knobs when they start to round off. Also, you could try turning the tire around if it isn't a one way.

BTW - I thought the stock Dunlops on my crf250f wore way better than Michelins.

Pirelli mt16 rear and mt44 front, I ride regularly in the Ozarks in AR, rocks, leaves, and roots all the way and more sandy stuff closer to home in Nebraska. I love the combo, I found this TT review spot on, it decided me on trying this combo, no regrets at all.

Terry

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2686992#post2686992

• 3 weeks later...
The new terraflex tires suck. I had an old one, it wore good. My buddy got a new one and thrashed it in one ride. It fell apart. I have had great luck with the IRC tires. The M5B has worked really well for alot of us here in Montana, and the VE series has been great too. The Michelin S12's dont last long out here, so most guys wont run them. But alot of guys do run the M12's up front with the IRC M5B on the rear. Try a few out, see what you like. You will get plenty of input around here.

I gotta agree, I raced alot with the VE 33 IRC and it wore great and had good traction in all conditions. I haven't used the M5b yet but I'm sure there good too.

I just came of riding 300 miles in rocky trails DS ride on a set of Dunlap 952 and was real happy with the durablility of them and will use them again

Terraflex is junk and weighs way too much for your bike. It works only on BIG desert bikes.

I recommend the Pirelli MT16 110/100X18 ( formerly 400X18 )

Cher'o,

Dwight

The Teraflex is an awesome tire. Just stay away from the chinese copies. I think it would be garbage on a desert bike because you don't need very much traction when you are going fast. (look at the Baja 1000 bikes, I believe the XR650's run the dunlop 742 rears). The Teraflex is way too big for the CRF250, no matter how much you weigh. Go with what Dwight suggested since I'm sure he knows his tire's better than I do, or go with an IRC M5B (an excellent tire with great hook-up and huge knobs, it slides a bit in the turns though. It is the closest thing to a TeraFlex knob-hight wise, and is still light-weight.) Up front I use a 756 on EVERYTHING.

I've been using the Pirelli MT18 in the rear for awhile now. It seems to wear at a reasonable rate. And the hook-up is there as long as the mud isn't too deep. But I rarely have a problem with that...

In the front I use the Dunlp 739 four stroke tire. Long life, very stable sidewall.

My favorite rear tire is the Dunlop 739, but it only last about three rides :applause: Otherwise I'd have stuck with it.