Sign in to follow this  

Cutting of Air Box

Yoyoyo

I was thinking of Cutting the air box of my cr125 i read alot of the TT here cut theres to 3x3 , im sure this will effect my JD jetting i had orig done . My question is i know it allows more air in means now my carb needs more Fuel, so i guessing a richer jetting is needed. I use the white needle now from JD and using 170 Main and 50 PJ . should i test using that setting first and see whatt i get and how Bike Performs. Let me know :applause::ride: Liquide out

Prolly not the best idea

I know its a great idea for NASCARing your friend's mom's Ford Tarus but NOT for a modern motorcycle. You see, the extra cubic inch per hour of air you will take in will result in an approximately .1111111117475 % horsepower gain but this will quickly be offset by the first puddle you roll through when your cylinder inhales a mighty gulp of water and ceases to be. A lot of dual-sports do the redneck airbox, but thats because they have as much breathing area as your nostrils. Your CR125 is wide open under the seat and those fancy number plate vents are great suckers too!

If you're looking to juice up your CR125, then I could perhaps help in that field

1. Stick with the stock pipe unless chrome will make you famous or you find a pipe you absolutely love. (Don't believe anyone if they tell you their pipe will give your cr125 bottom end, If Honda couldn't no one else can. Pro-Circuit if you throw enough $ at them!)

2. 50/50 VP112 and the best (read: MOST EXPENSIVE) pump gas you can find. Also I mix at 40:1 because I feel 32:1 is too much, you want power not a "seen-5-seasons-of-riding-piston"

3. Vertex piston - these are the best in my opinion. I like the cool coating and it seems like a good idea to have something slick on the skirt to mate with your freshly cross-hatched cylinder.

4. Jet that son of a gun perfectly. As you get leaner and closer to your way-too-lean condition....power is at its best. If you ride with 4-strokers dont let them tell you they only own 2 jets, a winter=rich and a summer=lean. You should have more little brass trinkets in your possession than most of China.

5. Gearing - Clutching your bike in first gear from a dead stop is just part of life with the amazing bottom end of a CR125 but get cheap sprokets (go cheap aluminum i dont care) But you my grasshopper must find what I call your "sprocket zen" or "final-drive-ratio-nirvana". I went one tooth smaller than the stock 52 tooth rear cause I don't mind clutching off a dead start in return for getting a little more speed on top of each gear! Plus i like to smooth out the hit so its more back-er-in friendly

I love my CR now more than ever because the elusive 4th gear wheelie has been attained!

Thanx Burned and Premix, Yea i thought it was a bad Idea. I do run smaller gear tooth on front sprocket a 12 tooth and stock in Rear I run Primary Drive Sprockets all steel the Renthal got ate up too much and primary drive ones are cheap. I also run the Primary Drive Racing Chain cheap to 35.00.. Im gonna EXP with the 40:1 Ratio, i been running the 32:1 I Ussally run KLotz TechniPlate with 20% Benol castor oil in It.

I was Curious too i read that someone Over Oiled there Air filter, but it was on a 4 stroke. what happens if you over oil on a two stroke does it just burn up in there like Burned said i might have tranny fluid burning in my crank case, due to a miss alighned center gasket. cuz i rubuilt the whole bottom end run wisco crank and Wiseco piston. I use K&N filter oil and Cleaner with a UNI filter is that a bad Idea? My bike is a little Smoky now maybe to rich on gas mix and i thought maybe after i read about the Over Oiled air filter might be cause of smoky Exaust. OK thanx for Tips Liquide OUt for Now :applause:

Throw the K&N oil in the trash or give it to someone who uses a K&N. Its not meant for foam filters. There are a number of foam filter oils that others consistently praise (UNI oil not being one of them).

Thanx Yea i thought it might be a Problem Using that K&N but wasnt sure i have a K&N in my Mustang 5.0 , OK any Recomends ON a good Foam filter OIL , you say UNI brand no good ok let me know

The UNI oil doesnt tack up enough, as soon as the weather warms up at all it leaks out the bottom of the airbox. Every time there is an air filter oil thread I always see a bunch of people post how they like Bel Ray oil. I use Twin Air oil personally. Search through the General forum, there are a bunch of those type of threads.

Kewl Thanx alot James , well i was just wondering too would a over oiled filter make alot of smoke of my ass end of a 2 smoke , just Curoius on that

I really doubt it would. Try different oil and see what happens.

You can tell if you are burning tranny oil if you have to add tranny oil frequently.