Sign in to follow this  

06 450x Rekluse - Jd Jet - Kouba Link - Skid Plate

Just thought I would report on how my new 450x is performing after a few modifications. I am not tall, or big at 5'7" and 160lbs. When I rode the stock bike, I was out of controll in the difficult stuff with a bike that is to fast and to tall. I must have dropped the bike 3 or 4 times the first day I rode it. I was really thinking about selling the bike and going back to my old faithful KLX300R. Then I decided to make a few mods and see if I couldn't make the bike work for me.

I took one tooth off of the front sprocket, added a Rekluse clutch, re-jetted with a JD jet kit, Pro Circuit T-4, and lowered the bike 1.75" with a Kouba link. I also added bark busters, and a skid plate.

This bike is exactly what I was looking for; easy to ride, tractable, and fast as hell. I rode it hard for over 100 miles in the rough stuff last weekend, and I love this bike. I don't know which mod made the most difference because I did most of them all at the same time, but the combination works great.

Thanks to all of you that gave me advise.

Dan

I love it, completely smooth's everything out. No more dead on the bottom end I just killed it problems.

Waay to go Dan. I just installed the Rekluse myself,and this thing is amazing.

The JD kit speaks for itself now.

It's only critics are those who haven't tried it. Glad you're enjoying the bike. Doug

Just thought I would report on how my new 450x is performing after a few modifications. I am not tall, or big at 5'7" and 160lbs. When I rode the stock bike, I was out of controll in the difficult stuff with a bike that is to fast and to tall. I must have dropped the bike 3 or 4 times the first day I rode it. I was really thinking about selling the bike and going back to my old faithful KLX300R. Then I decided to make a few mods and see if I couldn't make the bike work for me.

I took one tooth off of the front sprocket, added a Rekluse clutch, re-jetted with a JD jet kit, Pro Circuit T-4, and lowered the bike 1.75" with a Kouba link. I also added bark busters, and a skid plate.

This bike is exactly what I was looking for; easy to ride, tractable, and fast as hell. I rode it hard for over 100 miles in the rough stuff last weekend, and I love this bike. I don't know which mod made the most difference because I did most of them all at the same time, but the combination works great.

Thanks to all of you that gave me advise.

Dan

I'm 5'8" and I tried the Kouba link and did not like it at all. It may work great on other bikes but on the 450x I found it increase the front end issues, the front tire was SO loose. I just didn't like it. The more I ride the less I fall.

did you change your springs?

I put the kouba link on my 450X too. Was wondering how much you raised the forks in the triple clamps to compensate for the lower rear so steering isn't drastically changed??

I put the kouba link on my 450X too. Was wondering how much you raised the forks in the triple clamps to compensate for the lower rear so steering isn't drastically changed??

When I had the link on, I tried raising the fork tubes up as much as they would go. I don't recall the exact amount but it was near 1/2". Be mindfull of the fact that if you go too far up with your fork tubes and bottom the front forks your tire could potentially contact your fender. If this happens it's bad news.

Any way I still didn't like the link.

"I put the kouba link on my 450X too. Was wondering how much you raised the forks in the triple clamps to compensate for the lower rear so steering isn't drastically changed??"

Anybody else found the secret formula for this? I can't afford a revalve right now. Too expensive! I've got the link, just wondering what I can do with the triples to help with handling. Thanks

I'm 5'8" and I did the same kind of stuff. The Kouba mod does the most!!!

If you adjust the front fork tubes up and get the sag right it changes the

center of gravity so a guy our size can get their feet on the ground and also horse the bike around with all that front wheel weight. Number two would be the Rekluse Clutch it allows you forget about the clutch lever and concentrate on steering over difficult terrain. JD Jetting makes the bike work better at LOW RPM's. However I would suggest changing the accelerator pump with the 2007 pump as Honda has changed the pump and linkage for better throttle response on the new 2007's. Do not buy the Boyesen Quickshot acc. pump or the Scary Fast intake they are both Do-Do. Use Motul 20W-50 100% synthetic oil in the crank. You can use blends in the tranny but use at least 900 ml of oil to lub all tranny cavities on start-up. Change crank oil after every ride it gets dirty quick. Change the crank filter every other time or if you are picky change it every time. Dunlop D756 tires work the best for all terrains. The 742F that comes on the front is not so good in sand and mud. Another mod that could really make riding more enjoyable is a Scotts Performance Steering Stablizer.

My 05 has a JE Piston, Stage 1 Cam, better valve springs, a DRD pipe and I did the pink wire mod after adding the Rekluze clutch case for added oil space in the tranny.

Whoa Nellie! What a difference. This baby eats 4 by 4's and craps sawdust.

With all this power (fantastic low end) I put a 14T sprocket on the front and she does about 100MPH and very very quickly too. Don't let people tell you the valves are a problem. Only if you run long periods at high speeds. But it's the valve springs that give out. Get better ones, the titanium valves are good but shimming is needed because the springs give out. Honda's kludgey approach to lousy valve springs. Kawasaki has realized the problem and put dual high quality valve springs on their KXF450 for 2007.

The only real complaint I have about the 450X is it's weight, particularly front wheel weight because of the wide ratio tranny and engine setting forward the front wheel weight is too much for a bike expected to perform like a great desert bike and for track riding you can forget it. Well! There it is!

If your not leading the scenery is DUST, DIRT, SAND or MUD!

Woe, thanks. I've done or am doing most of that. Do wisht that it was lighter on the front end. Rode an R this week end at the St. Anthony dunes and it kicked my bikes trash. Sweet ride