Sign in to follow this  

water crossing?

He is just being a little too negative. The water will cool different parts of the engine, and cause some thermal expansions/contractions causing a little stress on the parts, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Don't allow the engine to stall in the water as it will suck water into the transmission vent if you do. As you crosss a water crossing rev engine higher than normal as to prevent the cooling engine from loading up or stalling.

Dwight

I always put my bike in a canoe and ferry it over any water. Only problem with that is that it's hard to squeeze through trees with the canoe strapped on the bike.

Seriously, it won't hurt to go through water. I've never heard of anybody cracking their bike in water.

Only thing similar to that I've ever heard of is a cold foul. Sometimes when a hot engine hits cold water it will act just like it fouled a plug.

my buddy dumped his wr400 during a river crossing...went underwater at WOT...and took a full gulp of water.

water in the oil, the whole 9..

we took it home, drained it, changed the oil about 9 times until it stopped turning milky, and he rode it about 90 miles the next day..ran like new.

i have seen what skinsfan is talking about.. but only happens on 1 bike.. its a yz85, and any time we go through any long creekcrossings (20 yards or more) his bike will just start sputtering and die.. the first time it happened, i thought he fouled a plug, so i pulled it.. his plug was fine so he just kicked on it for a little while and it decided it wanted to fire right back up.. but any of the other smokers around here.. 125 and bigger ive never seen it happen to

also that drz125 is very similar to my brothers ttr125 and my brother treats that thing like a submarine.. hell hit any waterhole

This would have been possible if your bike was 30-40yrs old, it did happen on some old road bikes years ago. Is your neighbor an old guy?

haha NO WAY thats like in 1970 haha. man on my old klx 125l thats all she saw was creek crossings. not once did she get dumped!! or the motor cracked

i went down in a deep quad hole full of water on my xr250. the bike was running when it went under, and it filled the cylinder up with water. we pulled the plug out, kicked it over a few times to let the water shoot out of the cylinder, put the plug back in, and kicked on it for what seemed like forever. after a while it decided to start running again. we had trouble getting it to rev at first, but after a few minutes it started running fine again. that was over a year ago, and the bike still runs like new. the only thing i did to the bike because of that was pulled the carb. off to get some water out of the float bowl.

Tommy

The trick with that is to pull the plug, lay the bike over, put it in 5th gear and spin the rear wheel. Much easier and faster then kicking. On a 2 smoke you can turn the bike completely upside down, like when you used to work on your old BMX bike. Don't do that on a four stroke though, the head and cylinder will fill with oil.

i rode my bike in water almost as high as my my front tire on my ttr big wheel but i was in like 1st or 2nd i stoped and tried to figure if i shood go threw. mud and get stuck (i hate getting stuck) or should i just fly through water? i chose water because it didnt look deep at all. the water spread like i was Moses (lol)

Only thing similar to that I've ever heard of is a cold foul. Sometimes when a hot engine hits cold water it will act just like it fouled a plug.

Ya i think that is what happens to logans bike (dirtkid) his bike will just bog to a stop then it fouls a plug.

I rode 20 miles non-stop went throw water at 25 miles an hour, I got soaked with my engine and it didn't do anything.

on klx125/DRZ/TTR the motor is part of the frame so if you put stress on the bikes frame it can crack a case but ive only heard of that with jumping