Showa Twin Chamber Problem?

Hi,

I recently removed my forks on my cr250 to check oil levels, and when I removed the cap, I found alot of metallic shavings. So I disassembled my forks, and there was only fluid in the inner chamber.

I've attached a couple pictures, and hope you could maybe tell me what the problem is, as I have not worked on this type of forks before.

Also, if you could let me know how much oil to put in both the inner and outer chambers, and where to put it in.

Thanks

Hi,

I recently removed my forks on my cr250 to check oil levels, and when I removed the cap, I found alot of metallic shavings. So I disassembled my forks, and there was only fluid in the inner chamber.

I've attached a couple pictures, and hope you could maybe tell me what the problem is, as I have not worked on this type of forks before.

Also, if you could let me know how much oil to put in both the inner and outer chambers, and where to put it in.

Thanks

For the 02 and 03's, std amounts:

Inner -

02: 185cc

03: 195cc

Outer -

02: 419cc

03: 405cc

It's hard to tell from the pics and without seeing the tubes in person, but did you check the bearings/bushings and the inner surface of the outer tubes? If it ran without fluid, you may have galled them since the fluid provides lubrication for them.

:applause:

Sometimes the hard anodizing wears through on the outer tube. That can make the oil look black and wear away alot of aluminum. Check bushings for aluminum particles in the teflon. If so, replace them. Then inspect the inner part of the outer tubes. You may need to have the hard anodizing redone on the inner part of the outer tubes.