Sign in to follow this  

Atehna Big bore, hotcams stage 2, and Keihin FCR installed....WOW!!!

It has been a couple weeks, but I finally got all of the parts installed on my 05 DRZ400SM. I have the Athena 435 kit, hotcams stage 2 IN and Stage 1 EX. Along with a Boysen Quick shot on my new CPW Keihin FCR 39mm and the very nice Thumpertalk MCCT. All I can say is holy crap, does this thing run. I still think I need to sort out the jetting...Currently running a 155 main, 38 pilot, 5/8 turn out on the PAS, 200 main air jet, James Deam DRZ 400E kit with Blue needle on the third clip, and Fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out.

Wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It kinda falls flat up top and bogs if I try to snap the throttle to wheelie in 3rd gear. Any ideas....I'm thinking 150 main jet to start.

You will most likely need to go down on the main a bit, start at 150 and see.

glad to hear you like it :applause: .i'm just waiting for the warranty to expire.i just installed a 39 fcrmx and am very impressed.

when you say 3rd gear wheelies(how easy was it to get to come up?.)i can get mine up in 3rd but i'm back on the seat. :ride:

back of the seat now in third.....I hope the better jetting will allow mid point seating 3rd gear wheelies. BTW, I am running stock SM gearing.

I can do 3rd gear wheelies with my S with just the yosh, 3x3, and 15/47 with dunlop 606s (not much contact patch) on the street:excuseme:

I started with just the Full Yosh, K&N, 3X3 mod. and sm jet kit. It would come up in 2nd, but nothing more than a couple of inches in 3rd. Maybe I just suck at wheelies.... :applause: I only weigh 140 lbs, so that may have something to do with it as well. Also, I am comparing the SM to my roadrace bike....an 05 KTM 525 SMR. May be a little unfair though. That thing will wheelie at will in third. Also, I do not do clutch up wheelies, just power wheelies.

Bassman,

Just figured out the HUGE difference between your bike and mine (S and SM). I am running 15/41 stock gearing. You are running 6 teeth larger (hence much shorter gearing) on the rear than I am. I think with that gearing, mine would wheelie in 5th. :applause:

With all the mods you have done it will :applause: By the way no clutch for my wheelies in 3rd, just cruise about 30-35mph, chop the throttle, pull and twist :ride:

I started with just the Full Yosh, K&N, 3X3 mod. and sm jet kit. It would come up in 2nd, but nothing more than a couple of inches in 3rd. Maybe I just suck at wheelies.... :ride: I only weigh 140 lbs, so that may have something to do with it as well. Also, I am comparing the SM to my roadrace bike....an 05 KTM 525 SMR. May be a little unfair though. That thing will wheelie at will in third. Also, I do not do clutch up wheelies, just power wheelies.
ya,thats exactly what mine did.after the fcr went on i could do 3rd gear wheelies no problem but it was a little harder to get up.i have stock sm gearing as well.before the fcr i would have to be going uphill and really have to yank on the bars and clutch as well in 3rd.when you get it jetted right i hope you can say 3rd gear power wheelies without being to far back on the seat.but with what you've done i don't see any problem :applause::p:p

Went down to a 148 main. Went to pull out of the basement for a ride and of course it starts to pour. :applause: Hopefully, I can ride tomorrow after work.

It has been a couple weeks, but I finally got all of the parts installed on my 05 DRZ400SM. I have the Athena 435 kit, hotcams stage 2 IN and Stage 1 EX. Along with a Boysen Quick shot on my new CPW Keihin FCR 39mm and the very nice Thumpertalk MCCT. All I can say is holy crap, does this thing run. I still think I need to sort out the jetting...Currently running a 155 main, 38 pilot, 5/8 turn out on the PAS, 200 main air jet, James Deam DRZ 400E kit with Blue needle on the third clip, and Fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out.

Wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It kinda falls flat up top and bogs if I try to snap the throttle to wheelie in 3rd gear. Any ideas....I'm thinking 150 main jet to start.

I have very similiar mods to you. Full Yosh, 436 big bore, FCR39 carb. But I have stock cams.

I'm running way richer then you. 165 main, 3rd clip, and a 45 pilot. I think that this jetting is perfect. I have no bog or shutters, and the bike pulls hard all the way to the rev-limiter.

I'm running 15/44 gearing and my bike wheelies fairly easily in 3rd gear with just the throttle and sitting back on the seat.

I will ride it and see with the 148 main. I know that 155 was not right, so I figured I would make a pretty large change to see what happens. You may be right...I bought a crap load of jets from 140-170. So I just need to find what works. Thanks for the info. I am at Sea Level and temps 30-95F.

Well, just got back from an hour ride with the 148 main. Much better. Of course it is also 37F degrees!!!! Much easier to wheelie in 3rd and pulls much harder on top. Still a little hesitation. Maybe I am just too picky. Seems to start easier as well.

The more aggressive aftermarket cams may very well want leaner jetting as the carb gets hit with a stronger signal. That was my experience.

with all these mods how much is your gas mileage affected

You realize this thread is 6 years old...

Bassman,

Just figured out the HUGE difference between your bike and mine (S and SM). I am running 15/41 stock gearing. You are running 6 teeth larger (hence much shorter gearing) on the rear than I am. I think with that gearing, mine would wheelie in 5th. :thumbsup:

Well you 2 have different size rear wheels that compensate for the difference in gearing.

LOL :thumbsup:

Six years should be enough time to figure that out , don't you think? L o l