2006 Yamaha WR 450f Performance Mods?

It's adjustable in length but I think the gyt-r needle in their AIS mod has a different taper at the tip which is the YZ needle. I did many mods at once so I can't tell you how much the needle replacement is contributing to my significant better performance than stock.

you are correct. It is the adjustable YZ needle and it is tapered different from the stock WR needle.

Gray wire in= Mellow/tractable

Gray wire out=agressive

I believe the gray wire on the 06 is in the 6 pin connecter under the tank.

Yes, the gray wire is in the harness on the right side just behind the gas tank. My understanding is that when it is cut (or the pin is pulled out and taped up like I did) it puts the engine response on the YZ power curves instead of the limited ones to meet emission restrictions. You removed the Air Induction System (AIS) crap too right?

• 4 weeks later...
i just got a 06 wr 450 and i have heard talks about this grey wire were do i need to diconnect it
Gray wire in= Mellow/tractable

Gray wire out=agressive

I believe the gray wire on the 06 is in the 6 pin connecter under the tank.[/quote

Yes, the gray wire is in the harness on the right side just behind the gas tank. My understanding is that when it is cut (or the pin is pulled out and taped up like I did) it puts the engine response on the YZ power curves instead of the limited ones to meet emission restrictions. You removed the Air Induction System (AIS) crap too right?

There's the answer

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dealer said he would install the new jets, throttle stop, and "mod" the AIS (not actual removal) for me for about $100, including parts on my 08 WR450. I already did the grey wire and air box mod. Is this an OK deal? I'm not a mechanic. Is it that tough to do to get it right? The jetting is the part i am not sure about.

any suggestions welcome!

My dealer said he would install the new jets, throttle stop, and "mod" the AIS (not actual removal) for me for about $100, including parts on my 08 WR450. I already did the grey wire and air box mod. Is this an OK deal? I'm not a mechanic. Is it that tough to do to get it right? The jetting is the part i am not sure about.

any suggestions welcome!

Don't think that is a bad idea since maintenance fees can be 50 bucks an hr, plus parts.

Have him show you how they "mod'ed" your AIS.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
AIS is air injection to help burn spent fuel to meet CA regs for trail bikes...it is un-needed. AIS removal is cheap and easy. Get the kit here at the TT store.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_thumpertalk_aissrk.htm

OR yamaha OEM has a GYTR kit that does the same thing.

The throttle stop is long, open up the throttle body, and remove the stop, cut it to YZ specs, re-install. free mod.

Open up the airbox by removing the snorkel, and cutting open the right side. Im not sure if the 06 have the pre-scribed cutting areas.

find the grey wire and clip it or disconnect it. This will recurve the timing to meet the demands of full throttle.

Open up the exhaust in whatever manner is appropriate, remove baffle, aftermarket endcap, aftermarket slip on silencer, etc.

re-jet the bike using INDY450's jetting chart:

Elevation 0 to 4,000. feet

30 to 45 degrees: 172 main, JD Blue #5, 48 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 75 starter jet, #0 leak jet

45 to 60 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet

60 to 75 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3 or JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet

75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet

90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Elevation 4,000 to 8,000 feet:

30 to 45 degrees: 170 main, JD Blue #4, 48 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 72 starter jet, #0 leak jet

45 to 60 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet

60 to 75 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 68 starter jet, #40 leak jet

75 to 90 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 45 Pilot, 2.0 turns, 65 starter jet, #50 leak jet

90 degrees plus: 160 main, JD Red #4, 45 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

Elevation 8,000 to 11,000 feet: ( Note you will loose a lot of power due to altitude but your bike will idle and not foul plugs!)

45 to 60 degrees: 165 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.25 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet

60 to 75 degrees: 160 main, JD Red #4 , 45 Pilot, 1.75 turns, 68 starter jet, #50 leak jet

75 to 90 degrees: 158 main, JD Red #3, 45 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 65 starter jet, #60 leak jet

and refer to my tutorial when jetting:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309069

Indy, you're jetting chart is AWESOME, can't wait to get my JD jet kit and start trying those out. I was just wondering though what kind of modifications had been done to your bike though? Free mods only? Free mods plus pipe, cam, airbox, etc...? Just curious on how to adjust your baselines for my bike.

Thanks,

Marshall

• 2 months later...