Sign in to follow this  

250F - green or blue?

gidday from downunder (new zealand)

Ok so i'm a mountain biker looking to get cross country/trail/motocross. Ridden old 4 strokes in the past, the odd two stroke but haven't sampled the latest 4 stroke technology although clearly it's the way forward.

Looking at options at this stage - 06 Yamaha YZ250F & new kawi kXF 250. The reading I've done rate the new Kawasaki out in front i.e the complete package.

Couple of queries:-

1. Seems the Yamaha is bit soft down low - is is that bad and would it worry the hacker?

2. Yamaha seems to be the solid option from reliability. Any concerns with 3. the Kawi consider extensive engine redesign?

3. Is there really that much difference between the bikes to the average punter?

4. If I'm not going to hammer the motocross like you guys would a WR250F with softer setup and wide ration be a better option?

They both have engine - it's a step up from pedaling!

BTW seems a hell of a lot cheaper buying a bike in the states rather than down under. :applause:

Any comments are appreciated

cheers

kiwi

yeah dude go green they have made so many advances to their 250f since when they first debuted it in 2004 but if you really want a good 250f i would go with the ktm since they have just made one of the nicest looking complete package bikes i have ever seen but that wasnt one of your choices......so i say go with the kawi

You pay a huge penalty in weight and performance on the WR.

The YZF will be the cheapest, because if you take care of it it won't eat you in repairs.

The 06 KXF is a great bike, but reliablity is open to question at this point. Look through the KFX forum closely and you will see what i mean.

The ultimate at the moment is the KTM SXF. Best running motor, most grunt. Handling and suspension are real good. But the big deal for converting to enduro use is 6 gears. Costs about 500 more, but the brembo brakes alone are worth that...many other high end extras on the bike. Motor is picky about oil in cold weather: too heavy and it will implode the oil filter. But overall the motor seems reliable if cared for: best next to the yammi in that respect.

this year you cant go wrong with buying any 250f they are all good.

thanks for that mate.

yeah I read about the KTM. Huge premium for over the yamaha down here. Clearly the trip from Austria to NZ is an expensive one

The 06 KXF is a great bike, but reliablity is open to question at this point. Look through the KFX forum closely and you will see what i mean.

Really? I own a Kawasaki store and haven't seen any in yet for repairs. I've read a couple "My buddy knows this guy who lunched his motor" threads, and I've also read a thread wear someone knew of a CRF450 that backfired and blew up, and countless CRf450 threads dedicated to them eating their valves. I owned an '04 CRF 450 and it was ridden strictly mx for a year and a half, and then went straight into SM. Adjusted the valves once, and never had any problems.

I do have first-hand knowledge of a KTM sticking itself in 3rd gear however :applause:

i ride green, i used to ride yami but im not gunna just tell you to ride green or whatever bike i ride like most ppl do,....but my green 250f has not ever given me any trouble and its been totally reliable with 7 months on the motor and no valve issues, its been the greatest bike so far and i love the thing (06' is even better)... i know the yamahas are great bikes too (very reliable) just go check them both out, look at the prices and see what you can afford, you wont be disapointed in either bikes..good luck in ur decision

What is the KTM premium, out of curiosity?

I would get a YZF if you can't get a KTM. Put a 49 tooth on the rear right away.

The most famous KXF thread

here

some of those ppl who came in saying there kx250F blew ect up were frauds..they came in with 0 posts, claimed there "a friends of a friend's bike blew up) they posted that and bailed and u never heard from them agian or they were a complete newb who never owned a 4stroke and showed pics and there bike was totally trashed and never taken care of...also we caught a few ppl spaming false crap like that 2 with several different different user names (same IP adress)...

people need to except that any brand will eventually run into a problem here and there and get over it..my friend jeff owns a new yz450 and the crank broke..not sure on details...but anyways hes not gunna run around and say dont buy a yamaha cuz it broke

If you're not going to race, I would suggest you make your decision based upon which bike will have the best dealer support (which bike will have the best prices and stock of accessories and parts). If you're going to race, especially motocross, you want the Kawi.

YZF is about $10.5K NZ best deal i can find = US$7.5K KTM about $13K retail or $9.3K US. A fair chunk.

Mate with that sort of difference I can fly return to your land and bring back a tidy american bird to change my oil every two rides.

thanks guys :applause: . i guess anything that runs on petrol has potential to cause headaches. seems either option I'll be more than happy.

no no cali boy who ran away to idaho :applause:

skied the pro tour in the US also, but my best finish was 5th :ride:

When I first showed up in the lodge at coronet peak early season, I was actually recognised by some kiwi mogul fans!!!

YZF is about $10.5K NZ best deal i can find = US$7.5K KTM about $13K retail or $9.3K US. A fair chunk.

Mate with that sort of difference I can fly return to your land and bring back a tidy american bird to change my oil every two rides.

NZ and USA have different currency rates, so its not cheaper, it would actually cost more

IMO, at the Toronto Bike show this past weekend, I though the KXF was pretty nice. The Yamaha, just did not do it for me. I'm a tall guy (6'3"), the KXF was the most comfortable to sit on. It would even give up my Honda loyaltyfor the 06 KXF 250.

Eric Gorr of Forward Motion wrote this about the KXF

"...How do you make your bike run reliable for a long time? Sell your Kaw and buy a Yamaha! You have a bike that has a consistent record of catastrophic failure based on a series of blatent violation of JSAE design standards. The RMZ and KXF was designed to generate $50 per hour of operation in parts and labor for the franchised dealer and I invite any representitive of Suzuki or Kawasaki to debate this point with Rich and I if they have the testicals ..."

the sx-f will be the best over package, the build quality with ktm's is so much better than any jap's and that motor has had nothing but super good reports.