tightening cam cover bolts and snapped one off

i was tightening my cam cover bolt to 84lb and was going slow taking them up in order slowly to 50 then 60 -70-80 but as i got one to 60 it snapped off in the head. anyone else had this problem? i took them out and u can see where they have been stressed and the others look like they are about to snap also. i am going to go buy new ones if they aren't too expensive. anyone else ever had this problem or know how to extract the snapped off bolt? are easy outs the best way?

I know a guy this also happened too and it was because he put one of the long bolts into the short hole. The funny thing was that it was the second time he was putting it in because he didn't have the bottom of the chain on when he bolted it down the first time. He took it all back apart and brought it to a machine shop to fix. I didn't see it after to see how they fixed it.

Charlie

If you're talking about the allen head bolts for the cover, it's supposed to be 84in lbs. The freakin owners manual is all jacked up with it's specs. I did this trying to follow the instructions so I wouldn't mess anything up and I stripped them... stupid me. I should've known better, but i hassled Suzuki and they sent me new ones. Took some hassling, and some time, but I got them. Also they are about $2.50 a piece.

I snapped one as well (you would have heard the scream in the U.S). Right at the bottom of the hole and had some fun getting it out. I was only just starting to tighten (with a high qual torque wrench) it and did not have any weight on it. It was a defect in the bolt from being overtight at the factory I assume.

I was lucky the bolt had not reached the bottom of the hole and was not tight. I was able to 'spin' it out by putting a spinning drill (reversed) bit on the top of it and getting the bolt to spin up until I could reach it.

Try and buy some M6 high tensile bolts bolts. I think from memory the lengths are 38mm and 45mm

While your at it, replace that cam chain tensioner mounting bolts as well. Same junk as the cam cap bolts. They break as well.