Female friend -- 5'2" -- looking for first dirt bike

A friend of mine -- she just created an account (kamikazi5354) -- is looking to buy a dirt bike. She's 5'2", inseam 28" (don't ask me how I know!).

She rides a Kawi Ninja (her 5th street bike) and I imagine after some time she'll be more than proficient tearing around on Arizona desert trails.

So, dear Thumperettes 5'2" and shorter, what are you riding?

Christina, darling, did you lower your CRF230? If so, how?

p.s. I wrote this because she was a bit shy when it comes to creating her first thread. But I imagine, sooner rather than later, you won't be able to keep her quiet.

• Like 1

Harry- No I didnt lower mine.. I am just above 5'1, and at first it seemed way to tall, but the I guess you just get used to it.. Have her sit closer to the tank/on the tank.lol It makes it a lot easier... That's probably all I could suggest..... I know I am happy with the CRF230, but I am sure there are other bikes that would be just as great.. Would she be interested in a 2 stroke?

Harry- No I didnt lower mine.. I am just above 5'1, and at first it seemed way to tall, but the I guess you just get used to it.. Have her sit closer to the tank/on the tank.lol It makes it a lot easier... That's probably all I could suggest..... I know I am happy with the CRF230, but I am sure there are other bikes that would be just as great.. Would she be interested in a 2 stroke?

wow you are a brave girl!! I am only 5'4 and my crf150f fits me perfectly. i was to chicken for the bigger bike. I like being able to touch the ground with my feet.

Would she be interested in a 2 stroke?

Of course, I can't answer for kamikazi, but I also rode street first, then went to dirt 6 years later. I learned on a 125 2-stroke, but it was really underpowered, and didn't have the 'hit' of a typical 2-stroke... anyway, I'd recommend keeping her on a 4-stroke unless she's willing to have the fly-wheel weight added (isn't that what you can do to smaller 2-strokes, because they are so peaky?) as the 2-stroke 'hit' is going to be completely unfamilar to her, coming from a street bike. Add climbing over obstacles, another thing you don't do on a street bike, and jumping, and the chances of 'whiskey throttle' occuring on a 2-stroke is pretty high!

:applause:

Oh, come on L2F, whiskey throttle is FUN! LOL

KX100! Perfect fit! :applause: You can add a flywheel weight to it (as with any size) to smooth it out. If she's got street bike experience, she would get used to it quickly and wouldn't outgrow it as fast as some of the other bikes. They have kickass suspension and brakes.

I started with a TTR125LE (e-start kicks butt!). Its a great bike!

I out grew it pretty fast, but had the YZ80 suspension put on it and its mint now.

I don't think she'd be interested in a 2 stroke. Who wants to mix gas and oil? :ride:

People who wouldn't be caught dead on a DRZ400S :applause:

I think the KX100 or TTR125/CRF150 would be good bikes.

I out grew it pretty fast, but had the YZ80 suspension put on it and its mint now.

How tall are you, Pammy? We looked at the TTR125LE. Fits her perfectly.

Did you outgrow the suspension because you were riding more aggressively? Do you still find the power adequate?

Oh, come on L2F, whiskey throttle is FUN! LOL

SUUURE! 😛 You should've seen me when I started riding dirt, it was a riot! I had the street experience, so speed didn't scare me, but then I'd hit a bumpy patch, or a rut, or a hill, or ANYTHING, and just didn't have the hang of ME being stable while the bike did what it did... ZOOM! Loop-outs were a common occurance, as were spectacular endos...backing off the throttle after hitting the power band on a jump face will DO that to a dirtbike! :ride:

KX100! Perfect fit! 😛 You can add a flywheel weight to it (as with any size) to smooth it out. If she's got street bike experience, she would get used to it quickly and wouldn't outgrow it as fast as some of the other bikes. They have kickass suspension and brakes.

I agree, I have heard GREAT things about this bike... I think if I was in the shorter catagory, I'd have to seriously consider this one. Especially if she's EVER going to want to ride track! :applause:

Another point, Harry, I wouldn't worry about having an e-start so much... she's already got the basic controls down, so learning another step won't be that frustrating, and she knows how to clutch so she won't be stalling all the time like a true newbie... a kick start saves a LOT of weight!

SUUURE! :ride: You should've seen me when I started riding dirt, it was a riot! I had the street experience, so speed didn't scare me, but then I'd hit a bumpy patch, or a rut, or a hill, or ANYTHING, and just didn't have the hang of ME being stable while the bike did what it did... ZOOM! Loop-outs were a common occurance, as were spectacular endos...backing off the throttle after hitting the power band on a jump face will DO that to a dirtbike! :applause:

HAHA me too. Everyone told me how SCARY and BAD two strokes were but the first time I rode one (00 RM250), I cracked the throttle and took OFF, ping-ponging from one side of the trail to the other, whooping the whole way. I was scared spitless but hooked.

Funny thing is ... sometimes I ride BETTER when I accidentally hit the powerband and can't back off. I just wish I could maintain that!

People who want to go fast.

KX250F, lowered an inch :applause:

Another point, Harry, I wouldn't worry about having an e-start so much... she's already got the basic controls down, so learning another step won't be that frustrating, and she knows how to clutch so she won't be stalling all the time like a true newbie... a kick start saves a LOT of weight!

The riding around here is very hilly, rocky, rutty and washy. It can sometimes be a challenge to find a place to kickstart your bike. I've ridden with experienced riders and they're always having to re-start their bikes.

Evangeline, it's time you jump in here. (She's at work -- and, unlike us, actually WORKS while at work -- so she might not until tonight.)

No, I know what you mean actually! For the weight, height & money, they pack quite a kick! I had a KX100, it was pretty cool!