Female friend -- 5'2" -- looking for first dirt bike

Hey Rich! What kind of riding do you have down in Tuscon?

That'd be Tucson.....and we've got everything. From flatland wide-open dez to mountains with single-track, and everything in between....even some mud! I'm doing Redington tomorrow. Coronado NF, it has rocky ST, DT and goes to ~9000' :ride:

We even get the occasional snow ride in the mountains... :applause:

Hey Yamamama, why going to 32:1? Is it not running right?

Dyno tests(done by the late, great Gordon Jennings) have proven that the best HP is gotten with a 20:1 ratio. It seals the piston rings better. And it's better for the bearings, too! :applause:

You can go richer, but the gains don't make it worthwhile.

Dyno tests(done by the late, great Gordon Jennings) have proven that the best HP is gotten with a 20:1 ratio. It seals the piston rings better. And it's better for the bearings, too! :applause:

Hmmm. I'm not running 20:1 in my bike. 40:1 works just fine for me. A lot depends on the oil, too, and the bike, and the rider's style ...

I used to be afraid of jetting, 😛 but it really is your best friend if you want your bike to run right. Besides it really isn't hard at all to do, and it can make a huge difference in the amount of plugs you might foul while putting behind the kids(at least in my case). :ride: Hubby even put me on an Iridium plug allotment, once they were all fouled not more riding for yamamama! No need for Iridium plug after the rejetting! :applause:

I had to pester all my friends to show me how when i first got my bike. The guy I was dating at the time wouldn't because he said I'd "send myself into the bushes" if I got it on the powerband while it was running crisp.

Yeah, like going from an over-rich blubber to SCREAM when you hit powerband is better??? doofus. he meant well though. I got it figured out and have done enough messing around to be confident about it. The KTM was never a super bad plug-fouler, though. Just in the very beginning.

That is true for a RACE bike being run at RACE speeds, not for trail riding and those of us whose race speeds aren't quite up to pro standards.

Here's a little chart that better shows what mixtures work for different conditions:

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/oilmigration.html

Ummm, I think you mean leaner? :ride: 20:1 is gas : oil

At 20:1, most 2 smoke rec riders would never have to oil their chain again, and forget about getting lost, you could just follow the oil drizzle trail back home again! I hate changing spark plugs on my 500 with the desert tank, it's so tight I get a nice dermabrasion on all of my knuckles from the radiator every time. Any richer & you may as well just pour the oil in the tank straight.

We've run the kids small bikes when they are racing at 32:1 to 40:1 and never had a problem. Our 500's are at 50:1 normally and my 94CR500 is currently running it's 2nd piston, we replaced the stock one back in 2001 because it was starting to wear but the bottom end was fine.

Thats it? Just let the clutch out and my bike will turn on? How easy! Thanks for the tip guys! or girls? whatever. I am going to try it next time I got out. Will first gear work or do I have to be in second? And towards the bottom of the hill, right? Althoug I dont know the next time I can go riding will be, BF wrecked his truck last week and now its in the shop 😛 BOO HOO!

Wanna check out our toys? http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/shari_v/2peasinapod.jpg

Thanks for the tips again.

Harp, why dont you have her ride your sons bike to test it out like alaska said??? That should give her an idea if she wants a smaller 150 or bigger 250? Let us know what she decides to go with, K?

As for bump starting - I generally use 3rd or if it's loose conditions 4th. I learned this from push starting bikes, the lower the gear the harder it is to turn the tire because of the gear ratios. Lets pretend first gear means the tire is turning the same speed as the engine (we're pretending...). Second gear means the tire is turning a little faster than the engine, but less torque. Third, even less torque. So if you put it in first, the rear tire wants to lock up and skid (most of the time). If it's in 3rd, the gear ratios aren't as harsh - the engine is turning over more slowly, the tire has more time to turn and gain momentum before hitting the compression stroke (remember less torque too). As a result, the tire turns instead of skidding and starts the engine. The only thing to remember is you're really lugging the engine now (way to high of a gear), so as soon as it fires, pull the clutch back in and downshift (this mainly applies to very light slopes where you haven't gained much momentum or speed. Obviously if you're cruizing down hill coasting, third may well be the right gear anyway!)

I'm not the best at explaining things, hope it's a little clear! :applause::ride:

Hmmm. I'm not running 20:1 in my bike. 40:1 works just fine for me. A lot depends on the oil, too, and the bike, and the rider's style ...
Ummm, I think you mean leaner? :ride: 20:1 is gas : oil

At 20:1, most 2 smoke rec riders would never have to oil their chain again, and forget about getting lost, you could just follow the oil drizzle trail back home again! I hate changing spark plugs on my 500 with the desert tank, it's so tight I get a nice dermabrasion on all of my knuckles from the radiator every time. Any richer & you may as well just pour the oil in the tank straight.

We've run the kids small bikes when they are racing at 32:1 to 40:1 and never had a problem. Our 500's are at 50:1 normally and my 94CR500 is currently running it's 2nd piston, we replaced the stock one back in 2001 because it was starting to wear but the bottom end was fine.

Smart Women! :applause:

That is true for a RACE bike being run at RACE speeds, not for trail riding and those of us whose race speeds aren't quite up to pro standards.
It also works for trail bikes...but I also vary my mix depending on where I'm riding. Richer (more oil) for wide open dez , leaner (less oil) for tight , slow stuff.
Here's a little chart that better shows what mixtures work for different conditions:

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/oilmigration.html

Ummm, I think you mean leaner? :applause: 20:1 is gas : oil

Nope....more oil/lower numerical ratio=richer , less oil/higher numerical ratio= leaner, just like jetting... I've been doing this for 37 years, I know what I'm talking about... :ride:😛

I wasn't saying you must run 20:1, just saying that the richer you go on oil, the more power you'll have on tap.....I agree with most of what you're saying! I went 10 years on the 2nd piston I put in my YZ250WRA...running between 24:1 and 32:1, depending on where I was riding. You foul 2 smoke plugs by jetting too rich, not by running a rich oil mixture...

Nope....more oil/lower numerical ratio=richer , less oil/higher numerical ratio= leaner, just like jetting... I've been doing this for 37 years, I know what I'm talking about... :ride:😛

You foul 2 smoke plugs by jetting too rich, not by running a rich oil mixture...

It's amazing that you've been "Doing this for 37 years" and still don't know what you're talking about. :applause: Although, you do point in the right direction with your last comment.

By increasing the oil, you are creating a leaner mixture by reducing the fuel/air ratio. Oil is not fuel.

Did you bother to pay attention? I said more oil=richer oil mixture, not talking about jetting, I'm talking about gas/oil ratio....more is richer, less is leaner. If you're a bit confused think about it! Yes, it will cause a very slightly leaner air/fuel ratio, but not enough to affect jetting...you can make a richer fuel/oil premix by adding more oil. You richen the jetting by putting in bigger jets, dropping the needle clip, etc...

PAY ATTENTION before opening your mouth (or, in this case, tapping on your keyboard).....please!

My friend who is 4'11 has the ttr-125 because it was the only thing she would fit on.. Her only complaint is its not a great trails bike.. I know you are in the desert so it could be different but her suspension just cant handle roots of ANY KIND.. So keep that in mind... I think she would be fine on the 230, or something even bigger!

Good luck!!

(let her ride your sons for a day and see what she thinks, IF he will give it up)

:applause:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the 230's. I've ridden one of those & they are pretty nice actually. It had estart & plenty of power. Suspension was better the the TTR. Seemed great for trail riding.

I've been doing this for 37 years, I know what I'm talking about... :ride:😛

37 years? Oh MY, now THAT does change things! 😛 Myself, I've been doing this for 6 years, guess I just learn a little quicker than you? 🤣 Still doesn't mean you gotta get all pissy. :applause:

For wide open desert with a FAST rider, no problem but for the gals that posted in here that I know and have ridden with, 20:1 would be a nightmare!

I was not doubting your knowledge Sir, I was simply pointing out that for the type of riding most of us (especially in this forum) do, a blanket statement that 20:1 is the CORRECT mix ratio is bologna (and it has a first name & a second name, I miss that commercial). We are talking about beginner to intermediate riding in woods at slow speeds on bikes that aren't jetted to perfection.

More oil is not always better, more oil in the mix will actually make your bike run leaner (increased air:fuel ratio) which can be just as damaging to a bike as too little oil in the mix unless you adjust the carb. Of course YOU already know this but some others that are reading your posts may not understand this relationship.

Mix ratio is only a small part of the equation when it comes to tuning a bike and not many people, including myself can say that they can perfectly tune a bike. Maybe you can Rich, but, even though I can't, I do know plenty of people that can help me out with mine. My boyfriend has only been doing this for 34 years so I'm sure you're much smarter than he is but he does a pretty good job of keeping our bikes running and teaching me & the kids how to do it too.

This was my original statement....Dyno tests(done by the late, great Gordon Jennings) have proven that the best HP is gotten with a 20:1 ratio. It seals the piston rings better. And it's better for the bearings, too!

Nowhere do I say 20:1 is perfect, do I? Nor do I say you MUST run 20:1, do I? I simply stated a fact, and you jump all over me...which, in other circumstances, we'd all prob'ly enjoy... ;8^P

I go back and re-read my replies to you guys jumping all over me for that and nowhere do I see a "pissy" reply. I have been nothing but respectful...just go back and take a look before jumping down my throat, again...OK?

Does anybody even know who Gordon Jennings was??

And, BBBom, please see my above reply to vmax, re: the richer/leaner comment...the same terminology does apply to premix as is used for jetting. Richer=more, leaner=less.....oil in this case! (And THAT was "pissy"!) ;8^P

HARRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get her to sit on either yet? Or talk to you her about it??????

Yeah, I spoke to her and she's read this thread and I don't know why she hasn't posted anything. I guess she doesn't appreciate the efforts of others to help her. Or she's just busy. Oh well.........

get her riding. she could probably hang with you on next years red rock ds!!!!!!

She doesnt appreciate the THUMPETTES???? I have gotten the best riding advice here, thank you everyone :applause:

Is she excited about her new hobby? or is she intimidated or what?

Did you bother to pay attention? I said more oil=richer oil mixture, not talking about jetting, I'm talking about gas/oil ratio....more is richer, less is leaner. If you're a bit confused think about it! Yes, it will cause a very slightly leaner air/fuel ratio, but not enough to affect jetting...you can make a richer fuel/oil premix by adding more oil. You richen the jetting by putting in bigger jets, dropping the needle clip, etc...

PAY ATTENTION before opening your mouth (or, in this case, tapping on your keyboard).....please!

I've paid attention to your statements, I just don't completely agree with you and you're 37 years of experience. Jetting was being discussed. Maybe you should pay attention.

Changing the oil mix does change the jetting. This is why you get more power with a 20:1 fuel to oil ratio versus a 40:1 fuel to oil ratio if the jetting remains static. This is a 2.5% reduction in fuel. Adding more oil to the fuel creates a leaner condition by reducing the amount of fuel while maintaining the same amount of air flow. You are compensating for this lean condition by adding more lubricant.

Bottom line is you're "rich" fuel to oil ratio creates a leaner fuel to air ratio.

I know who Gordon Jennings was, Cycle World editor. BFD? :applause:

Forgot about the oil argument in the 5'2" thread! Talk about hijacking!!!

I think we are all in agreement that more oil = richer mix and leaner air:fuel.

My reference to you (Rich) being pissy was in regards to your post back to vmax, not necessarily to your other posts, and if I read your last post correctly, you meant it to be pissy? :ride:

Sorry if I pissed you off by calling you pissy. 😛

My point was that, your original post was quite misleading to anyone that doesn't understand the relationship between gas:oil mix and proper jetting. It took me awhile to understand that by mixing richer, your bike actually runs leaner on identical jetting.

Maybe I'm just a slow learner (or I don't listen well 😛 ) but the concept of how oil ratio's affect the bike's performance and life took me awhile to fully grasp (not 37 years but close :applause: ). Maybe all the 2 smoker girls in here already know this info but I didn't until about 2 years ago when I found the following link, even with all of Karl's explanations I have to read something to grasp it for some reason - kinda like our trail riding, draw me a map! This is a pretty simple explanation (simple enough for even a blonde!):

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/springsummer2001.pdf

It's geared for Race bikes but it does explain the concept of oil ratio & air:fuel & what the different setting on the carb do pretty easily. Myself, I want my bike to idle but then I don't race (normally).

Only the last paragraph was pissy, and I didn't realize it til I re-read it before posting... the only reason I put it out there was for information. Everyone always wants to know how to make their bike faster and this is an easy, inexpensive, way...

And, for vmax, Gordon Jennings wrote the definitive book on tuning 2 smokes, it's still the best book to read if you want to build a fast 2 smoke!