2006 CRF450 and the front end - new clamps

Since Racer X is saying the front end is twitchy - does anyone out there know if it's any easy fixes my getting different clamps like 22mm? Would that fix the problem?

It's a great bike, hell all the privateers racer them last year for a reason!

Since Racer X is saying the front end is twitchy - does anyone out there know if it's any easy fixes my getting different clamps like 22mm? Would that fix the problem?

It's a great bike, hell all the privateers racer them last year for a reason!

1st: Do you have a 06 CRF450R

2nd: If Racerx said the muffler bearings were weak would you replace them?

3rd: If you had one and had to post this because RacerX said so then it would surely take more than triple clamps to help you learn how to ride a bike :applause:

Yea VACRF, why don't you read my question again. And this time go word by word real slow - then think about it - then reply!

Well did you not notice the problem before RacerX said something about it or do you only believe what the mags tell you?

Look at my comment that followed.

I love the 450 - it handles and turns great - but I thought the twitchy feeling I had - just like my YZ250 - was something a 22mm clamp could fix.

Ok I just thought you were trolling :applause:

I sent my forks off to Factory Connection and I raised the forks 5mm and it handles about 10 times better than the 02 I had with 22mm clamps and suspension work.

Just a crazy idea here but if your 05?yz250 and 06 CRF450 have the SAME twitchy frontend there is a slight chance that it could be something to do with your body positioning. If you do narrow it down to the bike then the triple clamp may be your best bet or next move.

Ooooo, RacerX said the front end is twitchy, I better go spend $500 on new clamps too. Geez, I hadn't noticed a problem before I read that, and apparently NO OTHER MAGAZINES DID when they tested the bike. I'm so glad they pointed it out - I though that having a bike that goes wherever you point it whenever you point it was good. Silly me.

Thats raising the fork tubes in the clamps it helps quicken the steering a little bit but don't go to far cause it will make it twitchy on hi-speed straights.

I would not do that on the 06, Honda allready shortened the fork tubes 5mm for 06. I have the 06 and the problem I noticed was loosing the front end under hard braking into corners. but nothing that Pro Action suspension couldnt help . Now the bike handles like a dream everywhere.

I would not do that on the 06, Honda allready shortened the fork tubes 5mm for 06. I have the 06 and the problem I noticed was loosing the front end under hard braking into corners. but nothing that Pro Action suspension couldnt help . Now the bike handles like a dream everywhere.

The 5mm Honda took off the forks was from the slider tube inside beyond where it overlaps the upper fork tube. It did not change the overall length of fork, it just made the forks lighter by having 5mm less of metal on each slider.

Also, a steeper fork angle (by either creating less rear sag or raising the top of the fork tube will make your bike "twitchee-er" (is that a word) everywhere -especially at high speeds.

I think I would like to change the clamps on my O6 450 also. I don't think the bike handles as well in flat corners as my 2 stroke Yamaha 250. the bike rails bermed and banked corners, including sand, but just doesn't go through flat bermless turns as well as it should(in my opinion)

also, being new to a four stroke, is it normal for a 06 450 Honda to bog a little when you crack the throttle real fast? I put one of those boyseen carb parts on and it didn't do a think for that hesitation. Sometime I stall it coming out of a corner if i hit the throttle to hard. I am running stock carb brass. Thanks guys

I raced recenly a 25 hour race in WA and started to notice a pushing issue with my front end due to the flat corner turns. But the bike wasn't twitchy at all. I have an 05 but I'm assuming it would be a little like the 06. After I noticed that push I slid my forks up about 3mm and backed out the compression dampening, next lap the problem was fixed!

I was strange in the Racer X shootout they noted that they raised the forks on the YZF but didn't on any of the others. You'd think if they're only complaint on the CRF was its front end they would have played with the front end like the did the Yami. I think the pushing front end is there, but have never noticed a "Twitchy" feeling at all.