06 yzf 450 vs 06 crf dyno graphs.

had a local TT member bring his 06 yzf by the am for some dyno time.

i can say one thing for sure,the stock yzf jetting will be super lean at sea level. this bike ended up with a 48 pilot jet a 162 main here at 5500 ft.it will be able to stand a 158 in the summer.

at sea level you will need a 48 pilot and 170-172 main jet.

heres the graphs.yamaha got their act together on the motor for sure.

red = yzf

blue = crf

06CRFVS06YZFHP.jpg

06CRFVS06YZFTQ.jpg

Great info! The yamahe looks pretty linear but shirt of the bottom but looks to pull hard from mid on. The CRF has a fairly significant hiccup at 4500 rpm. What can be done with the jetting to resolve it?

thats just me opening the throttle too fast.this is a 4 th gear roll on.

hard to say.its not uncommon for stock jetting to be way off.

I totally agree! Yamaha 4strokes have been notorious for incorrect or stock jetting results that are very much less than desirable...unless you live in Japan I guess.... :applause:

I will say that the Honda CRF450 has had almost spot on stock jetting the last few years....

It is amazing the difference that the YZF has when the jetting is correct.... :ride:

Varying elevation and climate in the U.S. make it so most will not have the correct jetting, kinda like expecting the bike to be sprung for each riders weight off the showroom floor. Thanks for the dyno's Burned, it's always good to see information from someone who isn't working for the moto mags. Maybe Yamaha can make another first when we get a low-weight, adjustable FI module.

Varying elevation and climate in the U.S. make it so most will not have the correct jetting, kinda like expecting the bike to be sprung for each riders weight off the showroom floor. Thanks for the dyno's Burned, it's always good to see information from someone who isn't working for the moto mags. Maybe Yamaha can make another first when we get a low-weight, adjustable FI module.

Yes I understand that, but usually in the past a turn of the fuel screw and everything was good. I went out a turn and a half on my '06 and it still popped real bad. I guess with my past bikes I just got lucky and the jetting was pretty darn close.

Same here, I was lucky with my '02 and '04 both were fairly close at sea level. I have some friends who bought their bikes and it came with a little bag and a couple different size jets. The dealer told them the jetting was off and instead of fixing it they let the buyer fix it themselves. :applause: Seems to me the dealer should tune the bike before selling it, but I guess customer service ain't what it used to be.