Sign in to follow this  

Running Av. Gas?

:ride: I would like to try some Aviation Gas, no lead over 100 octane. Would I need to change jetting or would it simply be dump and go? :applause: Has any one tried?

Don't do it! Everytime it comes up in a mag they say don't do it! The bike is designed to run on 91 premium unleaded pump gas.

There's a guy on here running it and is finding particles in his carb bowl. I bet the debris is from all the weird additives in the Avgas eating up his fuel tank, fuel lines, and gaskets. Think about what that fuel was designed for.

I ran AV gas in my RM 250 for 3 years. It was ported with head work, never had a problem. I think the mags. are full of shit. The only additives are stabilizers. If the makers of AV gas advertised in the mag it would be ok to run. Now I have a '06 rmz 450 and I'm running 91 pump gas because it ezer to get.

I run 87 and vp110 at a 50 50 mix. It seems to make the stock jetting right on. All 4strokes are lean from the factory that is why you will sometimes get popping when you close the throttle. When I rode a 426 the fuel at that mixture made it start first kick even if you cartwheeled the thing.

:ride: I would like to try some Aviation Gas, no lead over 100 octane. Would I need to change jetting or would it simply be dump and go? :applause: Has any one tried?

First off AVGAS 100LL is leaded 2nd the average octane(antiknock)is 102.5. You must jet for AVGAS,IT WILL RUN RICH especially on the main,go through all the circuits.

Don't do it! Everytime it comes up in a mag they say don't do it! The bike is designed to run on 91 premium unleaded pump gas.

There's a guy on here running it and is finding particles in his carb bowl. I bet the debris is from all the weird additives in the Avgas eating up his fuel tank, fuel lines, and gaskets. Think about what that fuel was designed for.

You really have no clue what you are saying. AVGAS does not eat gaskets, tanks etc. The problem I have been having with finding dirt particles, has nothing to do with the fuel. If you read my solution,THAT ANSWERED IT ALL. Do yourself a favor and stop reading mx mags and believing everything they write.

The modern day fourstokes do not require more than 94 octane to run perfectly. AV gas is a waste of $ for a 450F! If you want to run a better fuel or have some dough burning a hole in your pocket, get some VP U4. Its 94 octane & only $10+/gallon! Personally, I don't think the race fuel is necessary on a 50hp bike. I did run U4 in my 250F w/success.

BTW, I ran AV gas in my mostly stock (usually only had RAD Valves) 2 stokes for years w/out any problems.

You really have no clue what you are saying. AVGAS does not eat gaskets, tanks etc. The problem I have been having with finding dirt particles, has nothing to do with the fuel. If you read my solution,THAT ANSWERED IT ALL. Do yourself a favor and stop reading mx mags and believing everything they write.

You're an idiot. You're the one that needs a clue!

In addition to reading mags I have given you my input from my experience.

I have been a professional pilot for over 20 years. I have a degree in aviation including aerospace engineering curriculum. I have been around 100LL blue and remember its introduction to replace green 100/130 fuel. I used to have a source for 100LL and used it in my 911 and a race truck with an extensively built motor that wouldn't run on pump gas. Running the Avgas in that truck caused it to trash the valves.

I did not go into detail about the additives as I am not a chemist and I simply don't remember all the specific additives and properties of 100LL and why it's not good to use in something that was not designed to burn it. But, here is some info that I found that comes straight from Chevron:

"Avgas instability involves multi-step reactions, some of which are oxidation reactions. Hydroperoxides and peroxides are the initial reaction products. These products remain dissolved in the fuel but may attack and shorten the life of some fuel system elastomers. Additional reactions result in the formation of soluble gums and insoluble particulates. These products may clog fuel filters and deposit on the walls of aircraft fuel systems, restricting flow in small-diameter passageways."

Insoluble particulates would be the crap in the bowl of your fancy Keihin FCR. The TEL, Tetra Ethyl Lead, in Avgas is what is being oxidized. TEL in Avgas also causes other problems. When Avgas is burned one of the byproducts of combustion is lead oxide from the TEL which will form deposits on spark plugs, valves and cylinder walls. It can damage all of these components in an engine!

TEL is just one additive of many in 100LL Avgas that is different from pump gas. There are distillation and vapor pressure requirements specific to aviation that require additional additives. There are additives to affect low temperature fluidity. There are dyes, for identification, and anti-oxidant, anti-icing, and even additives for electrical conductivity! These are just a few.

So, why would you want to run Avgas in your Suzuki when it was designed to run on premium unleaded pump gas! My bike runs killer on premium 91 unleaded.

You're an idiot. You're the one that needs a clue!

In addition to reading mags I have given you my input from my experience.

I have been a professional pilot for over 20 years. I have a degree in aviation including aerospace engineering curriculum. I have been around 100LL blue and remember its introduction to replace green 100/130 fuel. I used to have a source for 100LL and used it in my 911 and a race truck with an extensively built motor that wouldn't run on pump gas. Running the Avgas in that truck caused it to trash the valves.

Listen to what he is saying...

I worked as a certified weather observer for the FAA for 7 years, you would not believe the list of powerful detergents that actually goes into the fuel so certain qualities (Oxygen content, AKR equalizers at elevation/sea level) stay within limits in insure consistency in the fuel.

Put it in perspective: It would be like putting a gas stabilizer in your gas every time you filled up, just does not make sense. :applause:

Avgas is highly regulated(very clean fuel,no junk)

Very consistent fuel, when you like to jet on the mark like I do it does not change it's formula like pump. can be very trusted!!!!!!!

Avgas gives excellent feedback when moving brass,you make a jetting change it is more defined than junk pump.

I like the lead

resists detonation to a certain CR

2.45 A GALLON I consider this a bargain,compared to super unleaded which who knows how long it has been sitting in the ground.

Stays fresh way way way longer than pump.

Let me make this simple, I run Avgas because it is a high quality fuel.That my pocket can afford. I just do not trust pump fuel in my motors.

It really is a no brainer AVGAS out weighs pump dollar to dollar.

People who down Avgas or go by hear say are the ones who never even ran it. We are talking bikes. All the negatives are the ones who never even tried Avgas plain and simple.

I run 87 and vp110 at a 50 50 mix. It seems to make the stock jetting right on. All 4strokes are lean from the factory that is why you will sometimes get popping when you close the throttle. When I rode a 426 the fuel at that mixture made it start first kick even if you cartwheeled the thing.

how? vp's oxygenated, and you said it was lean from the factory, if anything, its leaner now.

Put premium pump gas in your bike, stop wasting brain cells on stupid topics like putting fuel in a motorcycle designed for airplanes, start putting quality fuel in your body, train hard, learn how to ride faster, stop faster, corner faster, and all will be well in your life!

Let me make this simple, I run Avgas because it is a high quality fuel.That my pocket can afford. I just do not trust pump fuel in my motors.

It really is a no brainer AVGAS out weighs pump dollar to dollar.

People who down Avgas or go by hear say are the ones who never even ran it. We are talking bikes. All the negatives are the ones who never even tried Avgas plain and simple.

Bottom line, your 450F will run better on super unleaded than AV gas. If you want to add 4% HP pick up some VP U4. These bikes were designed to run on pump fuel. Take your pick and call any of the top tuners, PC, RHC, Tom Morgan etc etc. They will tell you the same thing. If you modify your engine they will probably suggest VP U4.

I'm not downing AV Gas. Like I stated previously, I always ran AV gas in my 2 strokes and it did make a difference.

Bottom line, your 450F will run better on super unleaded than AV gas. If you want to add 4% HP pick up some VP U4. These bikes were designed to run on pump fuel. Take your pick and call any of the top tuners, PC, RHC, Tom Morgan etc etc. They will tell you the same thing. If you modify your engine they will probably suggest VP U4.

I'm not downing AV Gas. Like I stated previously, I always ran AV gas in my 2 strokes and it did make a difference.

Finally some intelligent information............Pump gas or U4 is the only thing you should be putting in your 4 stroke....everything else is hooha! :applause:

In all actuality, unless you run a modified motor and increase the compression ratio to the point where your bike is detonating / pre-igniting on 93 octane, av-gas or the like is actually costing you power, the higher octane actually produces LESS power and is less volitile than 87... If the bike is designed to run on 91 or 93 thats what you should use..

Since you live in Pennsylvania why don't you stop by to Boyesen and ask him about Avgas,since I am a nobody you may be suprised.

In all actuality, unless you run a modified motor and increase the compression ratio to the point where your bike is detonating / pre-igniting on 93 octane, av-gas or the like is actually costing you power, the higher octane actually produces LESS power and is less volitile than 87... If the bike is designed to run on 91 or 93 thats what you should use..

That is a total falacy,"using more octane causes less power". Bad jetting causes less power.

Put premium pump gas in your bike, stop wasting brain cells on stupid topics like putting fuel in a motorcycle designed for airplanes, start putting quality fuel in your body, train hard, learn how to ride faster, stop faster, corner faster, and all will be well in your life!

What a total JERK OFF.