Tires Slashed!!!

I dont know about you guys but I'm sick and tired of paying upwards of $70 for one stinking dirt bike tire.

For the past 2 years Ive had one good set of tires for racing and a pretty used set for play riding. When the racing tires wear down, then they move on down to play tires and the play tires go in the trash.

Anyways, Im getting not only tired of paying the inflated prices but changing my tires every ride. I know I could buy new rims, spokes, hubs, and the works and just swap out wheelsets but you're talking about a lot of money there too if you trade bikes a lot.

So tonight as I was putting my old crusty front tire back on for a play ride tomorrow I thought about trimming the sides of the knobs. I have heard this has been done before and it is actually quite tedious but it looks like its goning to work pretty well.

I have 2 questions:

Does anyone know where I can go to look at one of those tire knob trimmers. I know I have heard about them somewhere before (probably a Dirt Bike Mag) but I was wondering if they are avialable to the general public.

I'm just wondering if the tire manufactures are trying to keep this out of our hands so they can sell more tires.

Does this make me cheap? Does anyone else feel this way?

Well, for now its back to the pocketknife.

I needed this break anyways to let my fingers reast from pushing on the pocketknife ?

------------------

Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F

Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

Darrin,

For the "pro" type tool, look in Open Wheel mag. For the cheapo version try a hack saw.

Bill

------------------

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Make those sneakers last longer!

NO you are not cheap, you are WISE!

What you are looking for is called a tire groover, they are availiable from White Brothers at (714) 692-3404. They run about $74.95 each, maybe your local shop would let you borrow theirs if they have one.

To use the groover, let it heat up and slice away. If you don't want to spend the $$$ then you can use a razorblade or hacksaw but it takes forever.

The cheapest way to extend the life of your bike's sneakers is to turn the tire around on the rim. Often the front edge of a used tire is still good! Most tires are not directional I believe but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for the info on knee pads yesterday, went out this afternoon and bought a pair of Moose M1's and love them. Also bought elbow pads which I did not have and should of and also picked up a kidney/back belt (wonder if they work).

Good Luck!

Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day!

Mark

I was out of this sport for about 8 years. I cant believe how the prices of things have changed. My 1992 YZ 250 is worth more now than it was in 96. Tires used to be 55.95 for dunlops. cheng sh*** used to be 35. Riding gear has come way down though, used to be you couldnt get a decent set of gear without taking out a loan. I remember paying 150 for "cheap" pants.

Darin,

I quite successfully used a "Ginsu" style serated knife to cut my Dunlop 695. One Saturday I was bored and had time on my hands(I was single). I pulled out the knife and carefully started sawing the knobs on the tire. It didn't take an exhorbant amount of time, and although the knobs were a little shorter, the tire hooked up extremely well.

Well, I filled every single knob in the middle row (D755 front) and it looks like its going to hook up a little better. Ill test it out this weekend. Hopefully it was worth the time and effort. If it does work then its worth it to me.

*mike68* - Trust me, Id like to ride the good tires longer but Im trying to get the most out of my tires by changing them constantly depending on wither Im racing or play riding.

Khris - Hook us up!!! Next time you see that guy buy the whole dang lot!

------------------

Darin, I've also used a drummel tool with the thick fiber disk. Takes awhile but hey like you I need to get the most out the meats. Usually just do the rear tires, I like to keep a somewhat good 755 on the front. Seeya next week at Chadwick....TW

------------------

99 WR400

BRC

NOHVA

AMA

Originally posted by The Missile:

70$ - I Wish !!! Here in Switzerland a rear costs around 150-200$.

What's more there is no mail order and there is only 1 MX dealer within about 50km !

I'm looking forward to my Las Vegas trip !

Bring two big suitcases and take a few home with you

Around here you can go to the swap meet and occasionally find the guy that has the hook ups on all the racers tires. These things are basically brand new with one ride on them and he usually wants $10-$20 for them.

------------------

Khris

"What's that?"

"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Tim,

Did you say you will be camping at Camp Ridge and that you are gonna try to get the last lot on the left?

Also, If I remember right you said you have a XR600 and a green trailor right?

I will be coming alone so Ill look you up when I get down there. Later,

Darin

------------------

Darin

Your thinking of Curtis. I won't have a trailer or an XR600, but I will have a 99WR4 that's beat to death with thumpertalk stickers on it. Cobb Ridge, same group, I'll be their thursday through sunday. Also dark blue GMC 4x4 with NE plates. Give me an approximate time and I'll be back at camp for sure, you'll enjoy this group, riders of every level.........TW

------------------

99 WR400

BRC

NOHVA

AMA

Im guessing you guys ride early so I will meet you guys at Cobb ridge on Saturday at 9:00 am at your camp. Sound good?

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

The ride is next weekend right? 15th-16th

------------------

[This message has been edited by MOmilkman (edited September 07, 2001).]