Sign in to follow this  

05 RMZ cutting out

My friend has just got a secondhand 05 RMZ 450 he took it out for the first time this weekend did half a lap and it stopped dead and not start, after half an hour it started did another half a lap and it stoped again,

left it to cool and tried another plug and it did just the same again, if you lay the bike on its side fuel comes out the carb so im convinced its not that

any ideas as he's :applause::ride: only having the bike a week

Possibily carb, oil pump, crank, cam caps, valve clearance, water pump, something electrical, etc.... sounds like a trial and error

Start by checking valves first, needs to do that regardless.

Retorque cam caps..

Make sure water is flowing..

Carb..

Troubleshoot Electrics

Sounds silly but try turning the idle screw up?

Mine wouldnt start one day and it was a pig, found that my idle screw had some how backed itself off so that it wouldnt run

Ill check the valves tonight, how do i go about checking the oil pump surley if this was faulty it would just sieze up solid and rattle like mad???

Electrical will often do that, run ok until it gets hot. Check the valves, make sure it idles and if it still does it, try to find someone to swap electrical components with, 1 at a time.

the bike runs fine untill it stops for it to be valve clearances i would of thaught cold starting and running would be poor i think myself it is poss the coil breaking down when it gets hot

Can some one give me the run down on checking the valve clearences as he never got a manual with his bike, i have checked them before on a crf but not on a rmz what should the clearances be??? are they shimmed or can you manualy ajust them???

I USED AN ARTICLE FROM WWW. TRANSWORLDMOTOCROSS.COM_TO/ARTICLE/0,13190,1110617,00HTML to adjust my Timing chain tension and check the valve clearance, "it was really easy" if the link wont get you there it was in there,"HOW TO", section "Tension" good luck

I believe Intake is .015-.018mm Exhaust is somewhere around .020mm someone correct me if I am wrong.

your numbers would have got it done. but quoting from the manual.

intake---.15mm-.20mm

exhaust--.17mm-.23mm

it almost sound electrical to me. have you checked the spark when it dies??

yes there is a spark but looks very weak to me im convinced its the coil but just for peace of mind i will check the valves

it should jump about a 9mm gap not under a load and probably about a 4-6mm under a load. not sure on those specs. good luck.

If you're messing with the electrical you might also want to inspect each connector, and put dielectric grease in each.

Some times the cdi boxes will have this problem. I had this problem with my vortex on my 426. It didnt matter what possition the switch was in either. So this could help you since the cdi box is easy to change.

Checked the valves at the weekend and there fine but there is no spark at all now all connectors are fine ??

In section 14 of the service manual there are some pin point test's for the electrical component's.It looks like with a multi meter you can test the individual component's the intermittent problem you had really sounds like the ign. module but could be any thing pay particular attention to all connectors and pins seated and connection clean dry and good and test the component's till you find some thing good luck good hunting!

If you're messing with the electrical you might also want to inspect each connector, and put dielectric grease in each.

Where can you buy dielectric grease??? Does this mean it is conductive or non-conductive? If it was 'bi'electric it would be attracted to all electrics! :applause:

DI-lectric mean its not conductive, but thats what you want. If it was conductive, it would throw sparks out past the connectors if it could.

Check the tank vent line too while youre at it. I had one of those little billet tank vent goodies get clogged.

It definately is the valves, common problem on fourstrokes.

replace the valves and it will probably run like new again.

Im having same prob and all the electrical parts were replaced stator coil ecu... anyone thing it could be warped head? it does same thing runs for 10 min and cut out.. I hate rmz buy crf love mine