KX 65 Mods

Just bought a 06 KX65 for the kid. He is used to riding a 4 stroke. Anyhoo, the bike is screaming fast but low end has a lot to be desired. Bike has a hard time getting up some steeper hills unless it is wound up. Anyone have some eperiance with mods for this bike to help the low end. Thanks

I hate to say it but thats the nature of the bike. In order to get the amount of peak hp that they are getting you have to comprise low end power. If the motor had a power valve it would help some, but with only 65cc you have to keep this motor screeming at all times. This bike is intended for Mx racing, wide open riding. If you son is not racing then I recommend getting him another 4 stroke bike. the new crf150 is very nice also the klx 110 are perfect for smaller riders.

I hate to say it but thats the nature of the bike. In order to get the amount of peak hp that they are getting you have to comprise low end power. If the motor had a power valve it would help some, but with only 65cc you have to keep this motor screeming at all times. This bike is intended for Mx racing, wide open riding. If you son is not racing then I recommend getting him another 4 stroke bike. the new crf150 is very nice also the klx 110 are perfect for smaller riders.

Ya, that's why I don't ride 2 strokes anymore. I like to cruise. Kid has only been riding for a year. He is 11 but small. He wants to tear it up on the track but I still want to take a cruise with him now and again. What about different sprockets?

Been there, done that. You can get some low end with a bigger rear sprocket, but you (obviously) sacrifice over-rev and (maybe not-so-obviously) add some kick to the powerband. Bottom line, is you could knock a tooth off the front and add a couple to the rear and you still wouldn't have the roll-on bottom end that you want and you would have one mean power delivery.

My suggestion is you send the cylinder off to Eric Gorr. I've had him do "big bike" work and have been satisifed with what came back to me.

Tell him what you want to do, and he will get the bike there to the best of his abilities, and that will be many times greater than any gearing, or other add-ons, you could do with aftermarket stuff.

Your kid won't have the fastest pure MX bike out there, but if he's like my kid (and most other kids), he can't use it anyhow. But, he will have a very rideable motorcycle.

Gorr's work will also be a lot cheaper than a bunch of aftermarket stuff, too...I'm guessing <$300 for everything.

And I'm not just pitching Gorr. I'm sure there are comparable tuners who could do the same thing, I'm just not familiar with their work.

A few cheap mods for low end for the KX65 are adding 4 or 5 exhaust gaskets between the pipe and manifold. The copper washers, there is also a reed spacer that I am going to try with my son's 05 KX65, its $28. With both the exhaust gaskets and the reed spacer there should be a noticable difference. Here is a link to the reed spacer! although it states for 01 and 02 KX65 it will work with the 05 and 06 I'm sure :applause:

http://www.mxsouth.com/mossbarger/mos11kawasa.htm

• 2 months later...