Trouble kickin my 05 over.

Got it new and I have taken it out about 5 times now. And everytime it seems like it is harder to kick over. Does anyone have any tricks. Currently I don't give it any gas. Should I?

Once its warmed up its usually fine.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but this is my firsy 4 stroke.How long does it take most folks?

choke is for cold starts, hot start is for hot start. Also you may have to adjust fuel screw out for cold weather in for hot weather on a 4 stroke. This can also happen if your valves get out of spec, so check the valve clearances too.

I think the other guy may have been thinking of the old decompression release levers. What brand are you on, Honda right? Honda 450 have internal decomp release, so it's not that. Most others don't have a decomp lever anymore either. I hated that on my old yz250f.

Also do you mean harder to actually kick or not starting easily? harder physically to kick may mean timing is off. Siometimes the timing chain can jump a tooth if the chain is loose.

Did it start 1-2 kicks when you bought it? if so did you break it in according to manual. If so and the weather has not chnaged significantly, check your valve clearances. they may be off a bit after break in. If so they will need shimmed.

If that is ok then try this. On cold starts, first ride of the day, before you kick it, give the throttle 2 quick blips with the gas on and choke on. This gets some fuel to the carb. Then don't touch it and give it a kick or 2. If the fuel screw is set right it should fire up. Once you've rode it you should be able to re-start it within a kick or 2 without this drill.

If the weather has gotten colder where you are since you have had the bike try adjusting the fuels screw on the bottom of the carb OUT about 1/8 a turn at a time until it starts. keep track of it so you know where you started. if you don't have one get a zip ty racing or similar easy adjust able fuel screw. Most have a knurled knob that has been marked if 1/4 increments and makes the hot weather to cold weather adjustments a snap. For hot weather you go in on the screw to get it leaner or less fuel. Let me know if this fixes it. Your owners manual shows you the screw location and how to check your vavles. be blessed, Joe