Diesel Goober, you got compitition!! (Im an Idiot)

Well, last night I began to put my bike back together, after 4 months of painting, rebuilding the engine, frame etc. I spent god knows how much, (enough that my spot under the tree will be scarce) Well, it was all going smoothly, everything is almost buttoned up, when I decide to turn the engine over a few times, just to make sure everthing is peachy (It was, wait for it) today, when I got home from school, I went to put the carb on, I bent over to pull the paper towel out of the intake, and suprise, suprise!, its deep in the head, wrapped around the valve stem!!

Arrggrgrgrg! I cannot believe I forgot to pull it out before turning it over! ##&!@)^E! I managed to pull it all out, but I'm sure a few shreds made it into the combustion chamber. I had to hook it out with a wire, blast it compressed air etc, even got the shop vac, lol.

My question is, I can see a shred or two trapped between the valve and seat, I tired opening the valve, and that helped a bit, but I'm sure there are a few little bits floating around. Will it kill my freshly rebuilt engine if a few bits of Kleenex are in there? I know it seems stupid, but Id much rather ask then find out it sticks in a valve guide, or seat or something like that.

Feel free to laugh, I had to myself.

Hoo, boy, TLRthumper, this is one competition neither of us really wants to win, Dude!!! ?

Thankfully, we have the online support group that is thumpertalk.com....... :applause: Here, those of us that are ham-filsted boneheads with wrenches can possibly recover, and lead more or less normal, unoproductive lives.... ?

Seriously, my Canadian friend, I'm thinkin' that a few little shreds of something like a paper towel ain't gonna hurt anything in the least.... The first time ya fire the thing up, I'm certain it's gonna become "combustion chamber flambe", & go right out the ole exhaust....

Now, if it was something like 60 grit sandpaper, all bets are off.... ?

Hopefully, we're both gonna be able to put all this stuff behind us now..... ? And I sure hope everything else goes well for ya, TLR!!!! :ride:

Its alive! Just started it at about 9:30, neighbours loved it. It purrrs like a kitten now, much better, no cam-chain rattle. I will post some pics of it tomorrow if you like, as I started off just doing a engine rebuild, and ended up doing a frame-up restoration. Funny how that works.

Are there any serious break-in procedures I should take heed to? I just got new rings and a light hone, but my manual says to take it easy for a certain number of miles, but I dont have an odometer!

Thanks for all your help, this site rocks :applause:

let it idle until it warms up to normal temps, take it out to a road where you won't have any traffic. Bring it up to about 60 ish and then let it come down (by itself no brake) to 30-35 mph. repeat the above mentioned at least 30 or 40 times. Beside that don't lug it and don't baby it and above all else have some fun. :applause:

PS After you let her warm up, shut her down and change the oil, after you start to seat the rings in(60-35 up and down) change the oil,after that change her once a week for a month and your good. Don't use any expensive oil for breaking her in, it won't be in long enough to make a difference