Sign in to follow this  

DR650 stuff

I just bought an 04 DR650. The seat sucks! The corbin seat is compatible with either the stock tank or IMS tank.

I need a bigger tank.

so upgrades I want to do are:

Seat...Tank....Front springs...luggage rack. The rear spring was already replaced. Who is the best source for this and how complicated is replacing the fron springs. I never done anything like that. I have a good mech. skills and tools.

Suggestions.....

go aftermarket or rip into yours and add the padding you want and seat cover. front forks? I dont know I have a 350 and I did a RM250 fork swap it's alot better, makes me happy, I don't know if it will fit the 650 model dr's so google it, never no what you might find out! that should help some... I have a luggage rack I'll part with if your interested, Its a stock suzuki one but worked fine when I used it, also a good tank would be a baja type, although they are kinda large so it all depends on what your looking for in mods...

shookster....geeser mods, those are the first weak spots I found. I do mostly dirt and have put 350 miles on it mostly dirt in the past two weeks, I also plan exhaust etc, but one step at a time.

My XR has stiffer suspension, bigger tank, better seat blah etc.

I already have knobbies on it.

I advise double checking the Corbin seat and tank fit. Corbin's website states that they have two seats for the DR650. One for the STOCK tank and another for the IMS tank. Corbin says the two seats are NOT interchangeable. :applause: You may want to decide on a tank before ordering the seat.

ok, im new here but not new to bikes. i just purchased an 06 dr650..need to know what is the best aftermarket exhaust, air cleaner and carb kit..also, what can i expect to gain in power in making these mods?

Talk to Jesse at Kientech Engineering for all the goods as far as carb kit DynoJet kit is the way to go with the extended fuel screw and exhaust staytune is the only full system for the DR and I prefer FMF slip on my self. and with all mods done you can expect a big surprise in power.

GOT A BRAND NEW GEL SEAT,,never used it,,oem.will selll it if ya need it,,look on suzuki website and youll see it there paid 175.00 plus shipping,sell for 125.00 shipped

To change the fork springs on a DR650:

1. place the bike on a stand with front end off ground

2. remove fork caps

3. remove preload spacer just below fork caps (above springs)

4. remove springs (wipe springs with a rag as you pull them up to keep oil from getting everywhere)

5. reverse this procedure to install new springs

You may need to preload the new springs a different amount by cutting the preload spacer shorter depending on your weight and riding style.

Hi, do you still have the stock suzuki luggage rack for sale?

go aftermarket or rip into yours and add the padding you want and seat cover. front forks? I dont know I have a 350 and I did a RM250 fork swap it's alot better, makes me happy, I don't know if it will fit the 650 model dr's so google it, never no what you might find out! that should help some... I have a luggage rack I'll part with if your interested, Its a stock suzuki one but worked fine when I used it, also a good tank would be a baja type, although they are kinda large so it all depends on what your looking for in mods...

I just bought an 04 DR650. The seat sucks! The corbin seat is compatible with either the stock tank or IMS tank.

I need a bigger tank.

so upgrades I want to do are:

Seat...Tank....Front springs...luggage rack. The rear spring was already replaced. Who is the best source for this and how complicated is replacing the fron springs. I never done anything like that. I have a good mech. skills and tools.

Suggestions.....

I just put on a rack, windshield, IMS tank, and Corbin seat. I didn't want spend much more right now so I went with the FREE spacer method. I added about 3/8" spacers in the forks and that stiffened them up quite a bit. I'm real happy with it. It took alot of the dive out of the bike. I'm going to add a little more to them to make it 1/2 inch. The dive drove me crazy but it doesn't do it anymore.

I put Progressive Suspension fork springs in my 99 DR650. They work great.

When removing the fork caps, you should first loosen the top fork tube bolt on each side. It takes the strain off the fork caps and prevents stripping them.

Also, you may want to loosen / remove the handlebars where they mount to the steering head....gives more clearance to get the springs in and out.

Terry

I put Progressive Suspension fork springs in my 99 DR650. They work great.

When removing the fork caps, you should first loosen the top fork tube bolt on each side. It takes the strain off the fork caps and prevents stripping them.

Also, you may want to loosen / remove the handlebars where they mount to the steering head....gives more clearance to get the springs in and out.

Terry

I always drop the fork down just above the lower clamps so I can get to everything without removing the bars. This also takes the squeeze off of the cap.