Cleaning tip's for O ring chain

My o ring chain is pretty dirty.I keep it well lubed and I figured when the chain move's it would clean between where the o rings are so I could keep

the o rings lubed but it looks like I am wrong and there is sand in there kinda

packing in there.

I am sure lube is getting in there but the sand in between there does not look good.

I have access to a solvent tank and all deffernt types of cleaners but I am worried about washing the factory grease out of the chain.

Any tip's any one?

Thank's Doug

stay away from harsh solvents (gas, kerosene, degreaser, wd 40 etc) as all these will deteriorate the orings. just use a wire brush to get the grime off (motion pro or someone makes special too just for this. i am sure the TT has one).

this is one reason why i like a non oring chain. they can withstand a harsh chemical cleaning.

Simple Green straight and a grunge brush, trick is to not let it get too dirty. I've soaked em in WD40 before to clean a real bad one, really don't know if it caused any damage, it's still working and wearing fine.I only do the WD40 soak on stuff I buy used that just needs a good cleaning.

you know it's odd.I have been riding and using o-ring chains for 25 years.I have always used only wd-40 for lube.I use it right after I wash the bike to shed off water and keep rust off.I usually give it another coat before I ride for the day.It seems to keep the ugly stuff from sticking to it far less then most of the other lubes I have seen.

I once used a wire brush and it really cleaned it up. The problem is it will cut the o rings I was told. Looking closely, I see that is likely to happen so I never used a *wire* brush again. On a non o ring chain it'd be a different story.

Rick

WD-40 is NOT a solvent, it literally stants for water displacement and it is SAFE for O-ring chains, dont believe me? Check the website out http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

Dude there was a whole thread on this WD-40 Argument. I was so pissed reading it because one guy wanted to know if he could use it on his bike and people were telling him it would eat through his hoses and all kinds of stupid sh!t!!! I'm with you.......I use that stuff on everything...always have for years......it is a LUBRICANT. In the aircraft world (military) F-18, H-60, CH-53, UH-46, etc........we use the same sh!t for rubber piston rings in all kinds of Hydraulic applications...it's sick how much we use it....and not once have I ever seen or heard of it eating through rubber, plastic, nylon, silicone or rubber adhesives......I don't understand where this mis-information is coming from about the WD...really it's aggravating. Use that Sh!t........on chains....O-ring....or not, your engine.....anything that is metallic that moves...that you might not be able to get the water off of otherwise........don't believe the hype!!! :applause:

WD40 is great for lots of things, including 'cleaning' chains. But as a 'lubricant' it evaporates quickly, and it gets washed off with water even faster.

Where I ride it's one water crossing after another, every few hundred feet. About the only place I can successfully use WD40, as a lube, is for my clutch and throttle cables.

If I use it on my chain, my chain will begin to rust almost immediately, because of the wet conditions I ride in. That's why I use Belray chain lube. It's sticky and stays on the chain, even after dozens of water crossings.

:applause:

WD40 is great for lots of things, including 'cleaning' chains. But as a 'lubricant' it evaporates quickly, and it gets washed off with water even faster.

Where I ride it's one water crossing after another, every few hundred feet. About the only place I can successfully use WD40, as a lube, is for my clutch and throttle cables.

If I use it on my chain, my chain will begin to rust almost immediately, because of the wet conditions I ride in. That's why I use Belray chain lube. It's sticky and stays on the chain, even after dozens of water crossings.

:applause:

That sounds about right. I quit using Bel Ray because I was riding in a lot of sandy conditions out in California...it just made a sandy goo on my chain...and threw sticky lube all over me too. I think I might try that out here in Va. though I am always in the wet a$$ mud now...I'm going to give the Bel Ray a shot again I think? The WD is good stuff though......I still swear by it!!! :bonk:

Your chain lube is attracting sand and dirt to your chain. Clean it off with Diesel and an old tooth brush. It won't hurt your O-rings. After each ride clean your whole bike including your chain with Simple Green or one of the orange based cleaners. Then chase the water off your chain using WD-40. Your chain will look great and last a very long time. While your at it, spray your hubs, wheels bearings, swing arm pivots, head bearing area, carb, engine, controls, footpeg pivots, and anywhere else you don't want corrosion. Pretty much everyting but the brakes and exhaust. Forget chain lube on your chain. You don't need it. I've been doing this for years on street and dirt bikes and not had any chain issues except for putting up with the slightly misinformed that point to my chain and tell me it's too dry.

not once have I ever seen or heard of it eating through rubber, plastic, nylon, silicone or rubber adhesives.

I cleaned a model airplane engine in it and the silicon fuel tubing connected to the crankcase vent (4 stroke) became swollen and fell off of the hose barb.

Dunno what the deal is with the tubing... it will tolerate alcohol, nitromethane, and Marvel Mystery Oil, but not gasoline, Diesel, and apparently, WD40.

That sounds about right. I quit using Bel Ray because I was riding in a lot of sandy conditions out in California...it just made a sandy goo on my chain...and threw sticky lube all over me too. I think I might try that out here in Va. though I am always in the wet a$$ mud now...I'm going to give the Bel Ray a shot again I think? The WD is good stuff though......I still swear by it!!!

Yeah...

I think it's important to make the point that 'where', and in 'what conditions' you mostly ride, is a very big factor in chain care and lubrication...

A sticky chain lube, like Belray or PJ1, is going to be an abrasive dirt magnet in sandy or dry areas, but the only thing that really works well for stopping rust build-up in very wet areas.

If I rode in the desert, a can of Belray wouldn't get anywhere near my bike. But since this is my reality, a very sticky chain lube is the only thing that will stop rust forming on my chain...

3c7edd41.jpg