Sign in to follow this  

Petcock install on Clarke 3.9 tank - help pls.

I've been reading the threads on this installation. They refer to removing the o-ring or petcock spacer or whatever. Can someone tell me what I need to remove in this picture? I'm confused!!?? :applause:

48493393-M.jpg

Thanks for all replies!

Leave out the spacer in your right hand. Install the petcock with the Clarke gasket provided. The petcock will end up approximately level with the float bowl.

Some guys also talked about shimming the front of the tank. I didn't have to with the stock rubber tank / frame guard on my S.

Don't forget to bend the forward wiring harness tabs.

Also I had to reroute the vacumn hose line for the petcock as it did sit a little lower than stock.

Plus I had no choke knob issues.

I did have a tank with a pin hole leak in it the first time. Because I delayed the install I had problems on the return but Bryan and the TT store bailed me out with Clarke. Leak check it right away.

Enjoy

I had to trim the top of the coke knob in order to be able to pull it out, otherwise it kept hitting the tank preventing full choke.

No big deal really.

Other than that tank fits great.

Does anyone know whats the purpose of the metal bar that screws to each side of the tank and passes throught the frame.

Awesome! Thanks, Dr.!! :applause:

Now my next question, is there anything I need to do regarding the gas cap? Do I need to buy a vent for it, or is it already vented out of the box?

Leave out the spacer in your right hand. Install the petcock with the Clarke gasket provided. The petcock will end up approximately level with the float bowl.

Some guys also talked about shimming the front of the tank. I didn't have to with the stock rubber tank / frame guard on my S.

Don't forget to bend the forward wiring harness tabs.

Also I had to reroute the vacumn hose line for the petcock as it did sit a little lower than stock.

Plus I had no choke knob issues.

I did have a tank with a pin hole leak in it the first time. Because I delayed the install I had problems on the return but Bryan and the TT store bailed me out with Clarke. Leak check it right away.

Enjoy

I had to trim the top of the coke knob in order to be able to pull it out, otherwise it kept hitting the tank preventing full choke.

No big deal really.

Other than that tank fits great.

Does anyone know whats the purpose of the metal bar that screws to each side of the tank and passes throught the frame.

On my XR650L that metal bar matches up to two holes on the frame that the shrouds connected to with the stock tank on.

With two clamps it helps secure the tank and prevents movement of the tank while riding off road.

With two extra gallons (that's about 16 pounds) the tank will move quite a bit while jumping if not secured.

The tank cap is vented you may want to add a hose and / or one way valve.

The metal rod is a secondary restraint to help secure the tank for all the best reasons. (I am thinking mainly liability) I never could get mine to fit satisfactory, to me anyway.

I've been reading the threads on this installation. They refer to removing the o-ring or petcock spacer or whatever. Can someone tell me what I need to remove in this picture? I'm confused!!?? :applause:

48493393-M.jpg

Thanks for all replies!

I had to remove the filter from the long tube (on) to make my petcock go into the tank. Hope all the dirt goes to the bottom (res) and not into the carb.

I had to remove the filter from the long tube (on) to make my petcock go into the tank. Hope all the dirt goes to the bottom (res) and not into the carb.

I opened the hole up in the tank to accept the petcock. Even if you rinsed the tank you will get a lot of crap in your carb that way.

No such problem on my Clarke :applause: