Sign in to follow this  

Tailgate problems with Tacoma or Frontier?

As someone already mentioned (and even taught me something about GM) they already tried plastic bed's a few years back (2000 model year I think) and quickly determined it sucked and wouldnt hold up.

GM probably sourced their plastic bed to the cheapest supplier willing to make it. No wonder it sucked. Just like the majority of the components on GM trucks sourced to the lowest bidder. It's funny how most of their parts are being made by a low cost country overseas.

Why don't we get a Toyota over to the "Mythbusters" along with a heavy bike...I'll bet they bust this "punched a hole in the bed" myth :applause:

I'm sure we'll see more composite beds in the future, and I think they will get it right. I just think the Toyota's moveable plastic cleat is junk! I finally saw one and thought to myself you got to be kidding!

Of course I'm a little biased, My Titan had the system first, and used heavy duty aluminum cleats.. :bonk:

GM probably sourced their plastic bed to the cheapest supplier willing to make it. No wonder it sucked. Just like the majority of the components on GM trucks sourced to the lowest bidder. It's funny how most of their parts are being made by a low cost country overseas.

:applause:

At least GM isnt so cheap to stop using steel to save a couple bucks.

Gentlemen, I think we're going to just have to agree to disagree. It's easy to point out faults on any vehicle. Some people can have bad luck at times but it doesn't make it the norm for all people.

Maybe I'm wrong about the "plastic" bed thing, but I'm still buying a 2006 Tacoma regardless. As an engineer, I can appreciate the new technology that Toyota is using. Over the next couple years, I will be testing this bed out with everything I can haul. I admit that I'm skeptical about the moveable cleats. They have their purpose as light-duty holders but I'm hesistant to tie-down my bike to them. For me, the D-rings offer the most secure attachment points and plan to use them.

If SMC bed failures were a systemic issue for Toyota, you would be seeing recalls or class action lawsuits... but we are not seeing any of those. Let's see what happens in the coming years. In my opinion, other OEM's will start using composites more as viable alternatives to steel. Steel prices are killing the auto industry and I think everyone is looking at alternative technologies.

:cry:

At least GM isnt so cheap to stop using steel to save a couple bucks.

GM uses more plastic in body construction than any other manufacturer. On the one hand you praise GM's plastic panels and then slam them for using it. Which is it? Unfortunately GM has chosen very poor plastic in some applications and quite good panels in others.

In many cases the plastic composite panels are not cheaper than steel.

If steel is so great then why are many of the over the road trailers you haul now made of aluminum? Soon they will be plastic and aluminum. These trailers cost more but weigh less and are quite durable. They wouldn't be used if it cost more to use them. Funny how that works.

I used to own a large paintball field. We used composite plastic guns because the durability was greater than any other material for our use. Glocks are made of composites. I've heard of few structural failures of the Glock pistols.

Anyway what other truck can be hit by a meteor and survive. :applause::bonk:

How bout this thread gets locked. It's clear who likes the plastic beds and who doesnt. We all have our opinions. Big deal if that person doesn't see eye to eye with you.

You people seriously have no life...

-Phill

It's cheaper for the OEM in regards to tooling expenses and allows them to offer consumers additional features in the bed (such as storage areas) QUOTE]

I'm not sure the sticker price reflects this reduction in cost?

GM uses more plastic in body construction than any other manufacturer. On the one hand you praise GM's plastic panels and then slam them for using it. Which is it?

As I said, a plastic fender on a saturn economy car or a plastic roof on a camaro arent quite in the same boat as the entire bed of a TRUCK being made of plastic.

I don't expect my camaro roof to hold 2 tons of gravel or a load of firewood, I DO expect that from my truck.

I'm not against all plastic in cars, its fine in certain places, the bed of a truck is not one of those places. Then again people buying a truck for work dont buy toyota minitrucks, so for most people that buy them as a daily driver and will never use the bed I guess its not an issue.

As I said, a plastic fender on a saturn economy car or a plastic roof on a camaro arent quite in the same boat as the entire bed of a TRUCK being made of plastic.

I don't expect my camaro roof to hold 2 tons of gravel or a load of firewood, I DO expect that from my truck.

I'm not against all plastic in cars, its fine in certain places, the bed of a truck is not one of those places. Then again people buying a truck for work dont buy toyota minitrucks, so for most people that buy them as a daily driver and will never use the bed I guess its not an issue.

For the last time, IT'S NOT PLASTIC YOU IGNORANT FU(K!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How bout this thread gets locked. It's clear who likes the plastic beds and who doesnt. We all have our opinions. Big deal if that person doesn't see eye to eye with you. You people seriously have no life...

A fun as this debate has been, it's probably time to lock this thread. :applause:

As I said, a plastic fender on a saturn economy car or a plastic roof on a camaro arent quite in the same boat as the entire bed of a TRUCK being made of plastic..

I owned an Oldsmobile Silhouette van that was made of some kind of plastic. I don't know what GM used for the panels but this vehicle was badly abused at work, was hit repeatedly by CO2 tanks used in our paintball business and generally treated very badly.

The Chevy truck we also used was all dented up but the Olds still looked brand new.

Whatever the material was I imagine something similar to it could work in truck applications also. At least the plastic always sprang back when it was hit versus the quarter panels and the bed of the truck which were deformed so badly from loading the CO2 bottles the bed deformed around all the bed supports.

Have you ever tried to destroy an Old Town canoe? Whatever it's made of, with reinforcement, it probably would last forever as a truck bed. :applause:

ps: markl, your comment is unnecessary. Keep it civil. :bonk:

CC your assuming the Tacoma's fiber beds will crack? I don't believe for minute a motorcycle falling over can punch a hole in the fiber bed of the Tacoma, or they can crack in half. That's somebody's BS story thats been retold over and over and made better each time. The game telephone comes to mind.

I have an 06 Tacoma on order, and the fiber bed is not a deal maker or breaker.

The beds are thick 1/4" to 5/16" in some places with stiffening ribs under the bed, and they are mounted in 6 places to the frame. With a front set of "D" rings it will haul everything my steel bed 00 Tacoma will haul.

I think the original question has anybody had problems with there Tacoma's and Frointer tailgates? Soooo your problem with the tail gates on your Tacoma and Frointer were what?

CC your assuming the Tacoma's fiber beds will crack? I don't believe for minute a motorcycle falling over can punch a hole in the fiber bed of the Tacoma, or they can crack in half. That's somebody's BS story thats been retold over and over and made better each time. The game telephone comes to mind.

Here is the link from TTORA. The poster took the pics down, but you get the general idea...

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12604&page=1&pp=10&highlight=bed+hole

-Phill

A picture's worth a thousand words, of course there are no pictures. The front tire, a rubber tire, came up and cracked the bed by the cubby hole. Hate to say it, but I gotta see to believe it.