Sign in to follow this  

8 yr. old first bike?

He is 4' tall and weighs 50 pounds.

TTR50 of 90???

My buddies kids race and he told me to get a kx65. Do you guys think it's best to start of with a clutch? If he plans to race....

I wanted my 8 year old to enjoy the heck out of riding, therefore I didn't want him to have to worry about a clutch. He has a TTR 90 and he loves it. All kids are different and your mileage may vary. For my 8 year old it was the TTR 90.

For my 8 year old it was the TTR 90.

Yes, build their confidence! There are so many good choices out there, but having not worry about clutch is a nice option. Plus a nice quiet easy to manage four stroke is a great start.

Go down to the dealerships and have him sit on a few of them. Try not to get one too big. The resale is pretty good on these things, so don't worry about getting something he can "grow into".

My kid just turned 8 and is a perfect fit on the TTR90, but the kx65's are still too tall for him. Not to mention that those 65's have some serious power! You would not believe how fast the kids are on the track with those.

My feeling is that even as my kids second bike, he would have not been ready for the 65. The TTR90 is a great bike and believe me, it's plenty of bike for an 8 year old just starting out.

I agree that your going to have to take him in and sit on them both before you decide. I also have a little 8 year old 4' and 55 lbs. When we bought his bike in Sept he couldn't fit on the ttr-90 and we opted for the ttr-50, now he looks big on it. Matter of fact he is getting the new GYTR big bar kit for christmas, he should fit on it forever now! (Yes it was even on his Christmas list) I would stay away from the kx65 until he learns how to ride and is ready for all that power, otherwise you may scare him into never getting on another bike for years.

-Darcy

My advise on a kid's first bike is to always buy used. I bought mine a new ttr125 a few years back and in 6 months he outgrew it and was racing a KX125. He was 12 or 13 at the time. He learned the clutch in about 30 mintues in the back yard so I would not let that be the deciding factor. The first bike is just to learn to ride on. I would plan on paying little for it and not keeping it very long. Young boys grow fast and inh 6 months he may need that 65.

Not a 4 stroke but the PW-80 would also be a good thought.

i started out on a clutch it takes no time to get use to it...i was like 10 when i started

if he can ride a pedal bike good, then get him a clutch. If he still is having trouble with 2 wheels then go for an auto clutch.

This is probably waaaay late in the game for you but I have had this exact experience...so I can definately shed light on it.

I bought my son the TTR 90 at age 7. He absolutely loved it...it was perfect..until...about halfway through the second summer he discovered jumping on our local mx track and in one day bent the swingarm bolt and knocked the plastic shrouds off the gas tank...actually rattled the bolts loose. The ttr90 is a great beginning bike but it will not tolerate jumping and hard riding at all - my kid is not super agressive either...just normal kid jumping that they all were doing.

So, after fixing up the TTr, I decided its time for a bigger bike.My son had been riding his moms TTr 125 le which was way too big for him while I got the ttr put back together. He learned the clutch in about 10 minutes in the yard.

I read all the ttr-90 mods on here...and decided that the bike..while perfect in every way for a beginner, had to go. I was sad to see it go...like a family dog kind of.

After looking around a bit I bought him a kx65, which is really the only bike of its size with a decent suspension, but let me tell you...its no beginner bike. It makes a TON of power and is downright scary fast. It aint the clutch thats gonna give him problems brother its that nasty little powerband hit that will do it. When I ride It i can rip through all the gears in about 2 seconds each...and I weigh 230 lbs.

Once my son figured out that it was a very bad idea to just yank the throttle open like hed been doing on his ttr, it has been a very very nice little bike. The last half of last summer he just kind of putted around on it down low in the rpms but this spring he has been winding it out a bit and starting to really rip it out of the corners. Like I say...the kx 65 is a fantastic second bike...a horrible first bike.

I wouldnt even consider a ttr50 for an 8 year old. He'll smash it to pieces. So yeah...get him a used ttr90 that someone has outgrown and keep him on it until he starts to destroy it, then move him up :thumbsup: IMHO

My 8 yr old has had a TTR90 for 1 1/2 yrs and its great, it has allowed him to build his confidence and most important his abilities, a TTR90 is plenty fast enough and a good used one is relatively cheap $800-$1000. He has just started on a XR80 and took to the clutch in two tries. My friends kid has a KX65 and he is scared to death of it, when that powerband kicks in you can see the fear in his eyes.

Good luck and make sure his first experience is enjoyable or he may shy away from it.

Fran

get your 8 year old a ttr 90 then let him get a ttr 230 then get him a yz 250 but might sure he know how to ride before geting the 230 and then theyz 250