Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a new helmet??

I crashed last weekend and suffered a minor concussion. Dont remember the crash and about three hours of the day. THe helmet has a scuff on the back of it but so visible structural damage. A friend told me if you have a hit hard enough to have a head injury you need a new helmet even if it looks fine. Is this true or just being over cautious.

I have always read and heard that helmet internal material only crushes 1 way on a hard impact. If you take another hard hit to the brain bucket your melon could be in danger. :applause:

If helmet takes a hard hit even if you don't have a head injury you should get a new one. The enregy absorbing material in the helmet will be compressed and will not absorb the impact next time. So, yes I would get another helmet.

I hit the ground 6 weeks ago and still can't remember half the day. The helmet saved me once. It is now in the land fill. Got a new FLY 606 (DOT & SNELL)at the local dealer on sale for $49.95. Get a new lid. They are made for one impact, that is it!

I think they are made for more than impact. I've had to same helmet for 3 years now. Crashed hard bout year and a half ago over some whoops that scratched the crap out of it....made my head hurt so bad i threw up. I also crashed with it on up in high country last winter....minor concussion. And it was about the same about of hit as the first one. It seems fine structurally that is. its scratch but seems to be protecting my head :applause:

Helmet life is 4-5 years without any big crashes. When it hits the ground really hard (like in your case) the inner shell cracks, then it won,t protect you as well in another hard crash. Just go buy a new one.

A friend had a helmet with a few scratches so he thought he would paint it. After sanding the old paint off he saw all the micro fractures in the shell at each point of impact, even smaller ones. Needless to say he bought a new helmet before riding again.

Those little devices that you stick on the helmet are gonna be huge. I bet the AMA start requiring us to have those on our helmets and present them at a tech inspection.

They will probably start manufacturing helmets with those built in. I think they are a great idea.

CRAP. I had a minor concussion and i have been wearing the same helmet. I think I may need a new helmet....

Those little devices that you stick on the helmet are gonna be huge. I bet the AMA start requiring us to have those on our helmets and present them at a tech inspection.

They will probably start manufacturing helmets with those built in. I think they are a great idea.

I saw those somewhere, i forget what they are called..

I wrecked pretty hard a few weeks ago, KO'd myself for about 4-5 minutes im told.. I was wearing a HJC helmet, helmet did its job IMO.. Im in trhe market for a new lid.. Should i go get my head x-rayed??

rocky mountain atv mc has them and after reading this thread i am going to check my brain bucket i had always been told you only need a new helmet after you out grow the old one

Anybody who puts a price tag on their head is a fool. The head is not to be toyed around with. If you suspect it could be damaged, chances are you have had a hard enough crash to make you feel this way, get a new lid. :applause:

Have you ever squished styrofoam in your hand? yea it doesnt expand back out. Look inside your helmet...its all styrofoam. even though your helmet may look good, its not going to protect you like a new one or uncrashed one will. I have a custom painted helmet at home that I would love to wear but unfortunately its been in nasty crash. I just cant bring myself to trust it to protect me.

Ricky D, when i packed it in my buds called the medics to the truck after they realized i was making no sense. Put me on oxygen for an hour, said it would help clear my head but it didnt. They told my friend to take me to the e room. Once there the doc asked me a few questions, then ordered a cat scan. There is never a bad time for a cat scan, if for nothing else, a baseline. If something else were there, like a tumor they would see it and you would be thanking your lucky stars you got a concussion. If you lose memory, please everyone get yourselves checked out, if not for your self than for your loved ones. Happy holidays!!! AXX

The old helmet is fine. Just make sure that you hit your head in a different place the next time you crash. :applause: