Sign in to follow this  

What do you suggest to make the 400S like a KLR650 on road?

Corbin seat!

Other than that, the DRZ will more than hold it's own on road. I find 15/47 gearing is the best compromise for true dualsport riding. I ride mostly offroad, but spend a considerable amount of time connecting trail networks by road.

Who here has the Corbin on the DRZ? You like it or love it.

P.s. I've owned 2 corbin's. Loved them both, still have the one on the ZX9. The Katana 1100 Corbin was awesome. My wife claims it was the most comfortable seat/bike she has ever ridden on. It really was a great bike, should have kept it.

Corbin is a must. I have the soft foam seat on my bike and it still sucks, gel seats suck just as hard! I have driven about 350 miles in one day on my drz400 and it was awesome! SEat Sucks but with 15/41 gearing I could ride easily 85mph and cruise the freeway no problem! If I were to get anything to do street with it would be a crotch rocket. If you can afford to take a v-strom off road than do it(all it is is a crotch rocket with a lift kit). As far is the KLR goes it is a freakin tank, the ones I have ridden were gutless! CORBIN SEAT<CORBIN SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was considering a 400S though in Montana our speed limits are 75 on the interstate and 70 on many roads. I hate having people blow past me plus I like power to spare to get me out of a jam.

Who here has the Corbin on the DRZ? You like it or love it.

P.s. I've owned 2 corbin's. Loved them both, still have the one on the ZX9. The Katana 1100 Corbin was awesome. My wife claims it was the most comfortable seat/bike she has ever ridden on. It really was a great bike, should have kept it.

I had a Corbin on my Virago, both Valkyries, and now on the TBS and loved every one.

I also have a Corbin on the DRZ am not impressed. I am ordering a Rick Mayer. I posted a photo earlier in this thread. Here is a photo of the DRZ with the Corbin.

DRZ1a.jpg

-

I like the Black plastic. Where did you get it? After looking over the Rick Mayer seat, I think I still prefer the U shaped Corbin seat.

Corbin seat!

Other than that, the DRZ will more than hold it's own on road. I find 15/47 gearing is the best compromise for true dualsport riding. I ride mostly offroad, but spend a considerable amount of time connecting trail networks by road.

I agree a Corbin seat should be your FIRST mod! They are well worth it. Your butt will thank you. Don't bother with a gel seat I have tied one.

My Web Pages:http://home.earthlink.net/~mrmeeks/melstoys/

'03 DRZ400S Yellow, Dunlop D606 F/R, Clarke3.9, Corbin Seat, Unabiker Rad Grds, CFC Grds,DSP Carbon Fbr Skid Plate & Eng Grds & Cal Grd, IMS S-S Pegs, Suzuki rack, 9"x4 7/8"X2 7/8"Custom Tool Box", Renthal soft grips, Galindo Grip Protectors, axle sliders.

I Miss The Old Cushy Seats From The Eighties! Easiest Fix? Steering Damper,re-gear,get Better Seat If Possible. You Got A Dirt Bike For The Street, Not A Street Bike For The Dirt. Everything Is A Compromise(especially For People Like Us Who Like To Adventure/tour).

I realize this is a strange question, but what do you suggest to make the 400S like a KLR650 on road?

Hang 45lb weights on each side. :applause:

JL

One of the items which make the KLR seem more stable is the weight, but equally important the larger spinning mass (650cc with dual balancers). The larger the spinning inertia the high the gyroscopic effect, which helps oppose the feelling of the bike being blown around.

FYI,

I have had my DRZ (2002 DRZ400S) for a week now and LOVE It!

Best Regards :applause:

instead of a counterbalancer, imagine the counterbalancer is a second piston .... voila.. a WeeStrom. fewer parts fall off, goes faster, more stable on the slab, and about as good off road.

Yep, I think the KLX400SR is going to transform into a nice medium range missle. Time to start ordering parts online so I can assemble this new "weapon". Spring can't get here fast enough. Thanks everyone!

i just read yesterday about a fork brace on this site for drz400. it was a free trial(you test it for them).i put one on my harley sportster and it made a noticible difference. became very stable and solid feeling at higher speeds.the only drawback i can see though is that the brace attaches at the top of the lower fork legs just above the tire.there probably wldnt be a lot of clearance between the two for mud/debree or what ever for offroading. i assumed thats why ive never seen one offered before for an offroad bike.check it out. they do work.

That looks pretty good ! If only the KLR's little windscreen was a bit more modern but it does not look out of place.

How about an African Queens fairing ? Looks ok on my DRZ.

This one is made for XR650's but won't be too difficult to modify. You will need a fixed bracket though :applause:

i think the kawi fairing looks primo.what bike is that off of? i dont mean to get off topic,but what type(brand) of tires are on your suzuki dan?

The Kawasaki KLR650 fairing (pictured/photo-shoped in a previous post) wouldn't be my choice. It requires a metal brace which is bolted to the head-tube. I'm an ex-KLR owner (replaced it with the DRZ, of course) and never really liked the fairing. I find the DRZ's fairing puts my head in the "clean" air so it's much quieter on the slab. The KLR's sticks out a few inches forward, and up, which creates more turbulence and thus buffeting. Of course YMMV -- aerodynamics and wind-screens changes for each rider, helmet, temperature, etc.

If you wanted a more protective fairing, I'd recommend something fitted for the DRZ specifically -- like the Cee Bailey's.

Just MHO

Weld a 30lb metal weight to the frame under the gas tank, change the forks out for a pair off a early 80's bike and clog up the exhaust somehow....

The Drz would be closer to the KLR then...