Sign in to follow this  

What do you suggest to make the 400S like a KLR650 on road?

thats a big boy ,ain't it. your sure not gonna go trail ridin with it! i'm sorry i need to vent here. stuff like that new beemer. its a flippin hulk. i can see if you ride 100% on the street on bad roads(like in europe) where you need some extra suspension,or you just like the style,but if i wanted a good road bike i'd get a ducati monster. dirt bikes shld be light.(so shld streetbikes for that matter).unless your ridin baja,and even there i wldnt be cought dead riding that new beemer at 110mph,i don't see a need for them.although i do understand the benefits of a large capacity fuel tank for extended riding,on the street or baja. me personally-i want a light street bike (super motard style)that will cruise comfortably at 75mph and be able to hit the trails occasionally and handle bad roads. i think that beemer wld be worthless in the dirt and for $20,000 i cld get a b^tc&^hn mv agusta f4 or ducati 996. sorry,i just had to get that off my chest.

I have a DRZ400-S and a KLR650 and if you are going to do a lot of off road riding get the DRZ. I have done 400 mile trips on KLR and felt fine. I have done 200 mile trips on DRZ and felt a worn out. The wind will blow both bikes around, but the KLR is more comfortable to ride when the wind is kicking up. The gas milage is great on both (50-60 mpg) but the KLR is great for distance traveling because of the gas 6 gallon gas tank. My main reason for buying these bikes is because they are tall. I am 6'2" and 200lbs and these bikes fit me. To me they both have a very relaxed riding position and they both have a lot of wheel travel for taking bumps and pot holes. Both are completely stock and the only thing I have thought about is getting a gel seat for the DRZ. As far as reasonable life expectancy for these bikes I expect 20-25K out of DRZ and 25-30K out of the KLR. So, IMHO don't try to make a KLR out of a DRZ. If you do mostly trail riding get a DRZ if you plan a lot of road travel get a KLR.

I realize this is a strange question, but what do you suggest to make the 400S like a KLR650 on road? I'm tempted to get a KLR650 to fill the gap as "poor mans adventure bike", but I hear the 400S has more HP. I'd like to ride out west from WI on my dual sport, but I know that my 400S just wouldn't cut it for long stints on the hwy. How tall can it be geared, yet still retain some decent off road (or maybe fire road) capability. I'd probably want a Scotts steering damper too. Any thoughts on this subject? Maybe this is just a bad idea. :thumbsup:

(Background: I've done a 900 mile day on a Katana 1100, but the 400S gets tiring after just 30 hwy miles.)

If you want a 'poor man's adventure bike' check out the wee strom. I'm thinking of getting one in additon to the DRZ for trips over a few hundred miles. Fire road only though.