Sign in to follow this  

2006 KX250F Durability

How realible are these bikes? I have heard good and bad, but I wanna know the truth. Not hear that they are great then have someone post no they suck, they blow up....I guess I dont really know what to believe about this bike.

I dont know this from personal experience but, my friend has a 04 kxf 250 and he beats the piss out of it and it has never had a single problem.... yet.

All of those "06 kxf blowing up" posts are crap, if they are true those people were really beating on it/not taking care of it in any way, or they are fake.

A yzf 250 is gunna be more reliable, but i think if you take care of the kxf and dont ride the rev limiter constantly you will be right with the rest of the pack

ive already beat my 06 to hell! and it still runs like a champ....

The valve train is the weak link. The valve train on the KX is tempermental. When you get some hours on the bike, you'll know. Plan on replacing your entire valve train with stainless valves, buckets, springs, seats, guides, chain, cams, etc. You can shim once or twice, then your getting to the point of a valve breaking off. The KX valve train wears quickly and if you leave it go, it will get real expensive real fast. When your bike gets hard to start, that is your first clue. Check your valve clearances often. Don't get me wrong, I love my 04 KX, but the valve train is frustrating. :applause:

The valve train is the weak link. The valve train on the KX is tempermental. When you get some hours on the bike, you'll know. Plan on replacing your entire valve train with stainless valves, buckets, springs, seats, guides, chain, cams, etc. You can shim once or twice, then your getting to the point of a valve breaking off. The KX valve train wears quickly and if you leave it go, it will get real expensive real fast. When your bike gets hard to start, that is your first clue. Check your valve clearances often. Don't get me wrong, I love my 04 KX, but the valve train is frustrating. :applause:

I am not seeing this being an issue on the 06, which this thread is about (not 04 or 05). You should perhaps start a year specific thread?

I have 20 hours on my 06 and the valves have not moved.

i have racked up a total of 20 hours on my bike in 3 weeks

i have been riding it non-stop and apart from all the normal things you have to do i.e. change the oil and oil filter, clean the air filter, check clearances etc etc i havent had a single problem with my KXF so i would call them pretty damn reliable machines

i have racked up a total of 20 hours on my bike in 3 weeks

i have been riding it non-stop and apart from all the normal things you have to do i.e. change the oil and oil filter, clean the air filter, check clearances etc etc i havent had a single problem with my KXF so i would call them pretty damn reliable machines

Even a honda will go 20 hours...hehe. When you have 400 on the original valves, like I do on my 04 YZF, then you can say without much doubt: this thing is damn reliable.

Good thread on the real scoop

The Kawi is an awesome bike but you can be unlucky.

250F reliablity: 1) Yammi 2) KTM 3) Kawi 4) Honda. Not sure where the current SUzi fits in.

uhoh is right, we made it 30 hours one time with our Honda. We've passed that mark with our '05 Kawi now but not yet, with our '06. One thing I never hear anybody talk about is piston life, these 250F's need their pistons changed just like a 125. My Honda manual said every 15 hours if you race. Let them go too long and some bad things can happen.

the lower cam chain guide, i guess, can be a real issue on this machine, but on the other thread moriarty talks about how they deal with it. :applause: