What is the best big bore off road bike?

Big Bore used to convey an Open Class bike. So even 450s that can be raced in the 250 class dont really apply here, even though in Yam, kaw, Suz they are the largest big bore bikes made. Honda has the 450 and 650R.

To be considered the Best Big Bore bike though, it would have to be something that can do it all out of the box without mods, i.e. Street legal after market kits, pipes, etc.

A bike you can street ride to the local trails, whether they be desert, mountain, Baja, beach or just around the block from your house.

For all these in 2006, only the 06 Husqvarna 510 then truly meets the Best Big Bore Off Road Bike.

Its is DOT and CARB legal in all 50 states out of the crate. It comes with all the street legal gear ready to plug and play from the factory. All you add is a license plate and it ready to be driven away from the shop "under its own power" and not towed or trucked home.

We could add the 06 Husqvarna TE 450 too, but again, the original post said " Best Big Bore Off Road Bike" and for now, that appears to be bikes over 500cc's that come from the factory.

If the post said best and largest big bore bike, maybe the KTM 950 or BMW H2 might be a factor. Since KTM makes a 525, the 300 doesn't apply here.

My 2 cents. Steny :applause:

• 2 months later...

I own an 05 wr450f put the yz kit in,FMF pipe, a few carb adjustments and a complete suspension job added 1 tooth to the rear sprocket (14/51). It works sweet! I rode a 06 KTM525

which I had my eyes on and was disappointed by the way it handled it was somewhat of a toad. not to mention my 450 ate it alive. but the bottom line is I am an animal and so I ordered a 06 cr500afx with the wide ratio 5 speed(top secret!) I'm not getting rid of my 450 because I love it. It reminds me of my old YZ on steroids and a big rip!

• 2 years later...

You may think I'm biased since I own one but the KTM 300 XCW is the best woods bike I have every ridden and I have had numerous bikes over the years. I'm not a racer but I like to rip it up with my ridding buddies and I also enjoy trail rides with my 14 yr old son and his friends. The 300 is the most versatile bike as far as I'm concerned. You can turn the wick up and let it rip or ride it a gear high and lug it around. It is light and nimble which allows me to ride it all day in all conditions on all types of terrain. Very low maintenance requirements, basically just clean the filter, gas and go. I change the trans fluid every two rides. Overall it is just a great off-road bike.

What do you mean by best? What are you going to be riding? Open roads? Singletrack? The Suzuki DRZ's aren't really a good choice, really heavy and not the best suspension. The KTM525EXC will definatley be the most powerful and fastest. The CRF450X and WR450F are pretty much the same. I love the look and style, aluminium frame, handling, suspension and the engine of the Honda. Can't say much about the WR, never ridden one.

Yeah I agree with you there on the KTM 525. I myself own a KTM 525sx modified for the woods with a 6 speed gearing. The SX motor is actually a bit more powerful then the EXC and with the 6 speed in it, it works like magic for off road. Once I got use to the power, I found it works like magic in any terrain, whether that be tight woods or open country. Power for any terrain basically. Even in the tight stuff it works great.

• 8 years later...
On 12/25/2005 at 3:01 PM, mikekay said:

the best off road big bore is the Husqvarna TE 510.

Its 50 state street legal.

Out handles the KTM. Lighter than a 450x. Its got the button, and lots of high end components-bars, chain, rims, computer/tripmeter, etc.

With its 6 speed tranny you get a nice linear and smooth power that excells in all situations. Put it in 6th and it will out pull any 450...its a true big bore-but not a brute like an XR650 or LC4.

Components put any jap bike to shame. Its a super reliable bike that costs the same as the red bike, cheaper than orange. Parts are easy to get...and all the aftermarket stuff is available.

About the only draw back is they are selling out at most dealers.

Of course its not for everyone. Woods guys might prefer the Husky TE 450...while others might want the bigger 610.

once ya go euro, ya never go back

The Husaberg FE570 will outshine the Husky TE510 in pretty much every situation, The TE is still a formidable machine, but it's somewhat doughy and the suspension is not as good as the Berg.

Edited by KX25O