Sign in to follow this  

DR650SE Info Needed !

Hey guys I live in SW Missouri and I am new to DualSporting, I have rode and owned about everything from ATVs to Motocross bikes to Street bikes and now i am trying a Dualsport.

I just got a 2005 Suzuki DR650SE and i love it !

I need any info i can get about tips or dualsport web sites or any good dualsport parts sites and what about a good dualsport mag ? .

I would also like to find some info about any Dualsport Clubs in Missouri !

Thanks

The Tree !

tip #1

dont ride your dr650 through a mud hole with the stock tires,,you will bust your ass.

tip #2

see tip #1

The stock DR650 tires contributed to my 17 day hospital homestead. Be careful in loose gravel!

I now have a plated 99 DR350 dirt model, a much better dirt bike but the 650 was great on highways and dirt roads (with proper tires) in rural NW Arkansas.

Congrads on the new bike. Its is hard to find a tire that works in the best of both worlds. I'd go with a tire that I do the most riding in. In your case would be street. I run 90% street on my bike. :applause::bonk:

the stock tires are great for street riding,i havent found any thats much better for paved roads,but for anything loose,,forget about it

P-Tree, for off-road use, it's best to change the tires to a high quality knobbie, that is fully off-road capable, and not a dual sport type.

For street use, the stock tires are very good. Off-road they are not.

Other than tires, the best single mod to do is to drill out the brass plug blocking the airscrew on the front, bottom of the carb, and re-adjust it to at least 1-3/4 turns out, or more, depending on elevation and temps. The more you turn it out, the richer it will be, making the bike run much, much better at low rpm, and easier to start. The low-speed hesitation will disappear by doing this easy mod. Fuel mileage will not be affected since the adjustment concerns the low-rpm or low throttle opening response only.

The DR650 in my opinion is the best dual sport bike you can get, because it's inexpensive to buy, and maintain, and with a quick tire change, can go from a great street bike to a great trail bike that is super easy to ride.

I can take my DR650 to colorado on vacation, with knobbies on it, and climb Mt. Antero trail, or Engineers pass, or whatever I want, in complete comfort, or, I can put the stock tires on it and cruise the highway or tear up the twisties all day long. It is really a true 'jeep' of a bike. And not an 'suv' bike like the KLR.

L.L.

'05 DR650SE

'04 KX500

'05 Bandit1200

'05 DR650SE

'05 Bandit1200

'04 KX500

I ride 50% street and 50% dirt so I threw on a set of Pirelli MT21's and couldn't be happier. Its rated as 90% offroad and is the most aggressive DOT approved tire out there. Believe it or not, it handles well on the street too! Good luck with your new bike P-Tree!

I run Dunlops D606 tires and find them to be very good off road,they handle OK on the street and wear like iron. Expect 2,000-3,000miles out of a rear tire and 4,000 out of a front tire. The only beef that I have for them is that they really sing to you on the pavement. A good alternative is Kendas 50% on/offroad dualsport knobbie. I like the more aggressive D606 tread but my friends running their Kendas are happy with them. They have better road manors and wear well too.

Mike.