Sign in to follow this  

Maybe a Husaberg?

I was in the local shop the other day and almost bought the DRZ 400 SM. I'm mainly going to commute to and from work (18 miles) with it but would like to do a little track time also. I got to looking around online and found the husaberg FS 450 E. Wow! this looks more like it. I'm concerned living in South Florida that the heat may be too much for it. I don't plan on going on the highway, just taking back roads and getting a grin on before work at the FD.

Questions: Does this bike have a cush drive? I realize it will require more maintenance than most but will it be too much for the 'berg being a somewhat hooligan commuter? If I got a set of off road wheels for it would the suspension be able to handle light trail, off road work? What are the differences between the 2004 and 2005? I can find the 2004 for what looks to be a great price, about $6000 with baja design light kit installed, tax and tag.

I know it's a lot to ask for one bike. But I'm really hoping you guys have the answers and that they are what I want to hear :applause:

Just buy a new Husqvarna, U can get the best of both world's street legal from the factory and a grrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt off-road bike. IMO :applause:

I've been riding my Berg for almost four years now. It is great. But I ride dirt and couldn't really answer your questions. You might check out husaberg.org. There is a fairly big supermoto community there.

You mentioned the baja designs kit. So the sm bikes have no lights? I was under the impression they were already set up. Oh well, good luck.

They have lights but no horn, turn signals or switches for the brake lights. The Husky is tempting. There is a guy selling a 510 on ebay right now. I'm sure it would fit the bill.

They have lights but no horn, turn signals or switches for the brake lights. The Husky is tempting. There is a guy selling a 510 on ebay right now. I'm sure it would fit the bill.

You can add these parts for a few bucks, you know. It's already pre-wired for all of this, except for the brake switch, which can be bought for less than $20 and is installed in a few minutes (you need to know how to bleed, basically).

But, really, if it is for a daily commute, what is your motivation for buying a motard or a trails bike like a DRZ, instead of a proven road bike like, for instance, an R6?

Just curious.

But, really, if it is for a daily commute, what is your motivation for buying a motard or a trails bike like a DRZ, instead of a proven road bike like, for instance, an R6?

Just curious.

I've had an R6 and a host of other sport bikes in my 38 years. Never had a euro or a super motard. Guess I want something different. Something that won't cost a fortune in plastic if I drop it and I can have a blast trying different things with (tard, track and trail).

Thanks for your replies, please keep them coming. I'm still on the fence.

Get the Berg. There are no major differences between the 04 and 05 models so if you are looking for a lot of fun at a reasonable price get the 04. New Husabergs have race-proven reliability, if you change the oil and check the valves you are set. The left hand side kickstarter may be odd at first but the bike is so easy to start that it doesn't even matter. Depending on th amount of trail riding you do, you may also consider getting the 550 in the trail model and then upgrading the brakes and wheels to supermoto spec. All parts can be bought through your Husaberg or KTM dealer. The 550 is the best of both worlds, playfullness of the 450 with the torque of the 650.

Whatever you decide you will have fun,

j

Alright, I like what I'm hearing. Now say I go for the FE 550 and want street wheels (which I really do). I saw a guy post you can buy KTM hard part (?) wheels for the 'berg for about $700. Can I get them with a cush drive? Do they make a bracket for the fork to allow the use of a larger caliper and rotor, or would the 10" rotor work fine for the road with some better pads?

I know it's a lot of questions and I thank all of you for your time.

One more quick question. Anyone know where I can get the brake switches and a horn for it? The guy I'm dealing with is in NC he said he can plate it right there if I have the horn and brakes hooked up (don't need turn signals).

Alright, I like what I'm hearing. Now say I go for the FE 550 and want street wheels (which I really do). I saw a guy post you can buy KTM hard part (?) wheels for the 'berg for about $700. Can I get them with a cush drive? Do they make a bracket for the fork to allow the use of a larger caliper and rotor, or would the 10" rotor work fine for the road with some better pads?

I know it's a lot of questions and I thank all of you for your time.

I have a factory SM with a 550 6 speed, E-start race bike :applause:

Pulls like a 650 but revs like a 450 :cry:

You can get Berg wheelsets as well....same as KTM......Yes they are available with cushdrive....You can get a relocater bracket for a 320 mm rotor, Brembo as I re call has one...I use Sintered pads....

check the below sites....check some of the sponsors of this site, they have sometimes great specials....

http://www.husaberg.se/

http://www.husaberg.com/

http://www.husaberg.org/

Like any high performance SM you have to change the oil often as well filter and check valves every so often......Its worth it, these bikes are fantastic.....BTW the first site I posted will have downloads inwhich you will find owner manuals which will give you a very good Idea to how often things need to be done :bonk:

With friends like Jake, who needs salespeople ?

:applause:

Cheers,

Brett Saunders

Could you tell me if the hub on the FS 450 E is cush drive? I'm having problems finding it in the manuals.

The bikes come with cush drive.

You can run the Berg on the street but you and the bike may not enjoy extended freeway time. The seat is narrow and firm and with basically no fairing it will be very windy. For everything but the freeway the bike is awesome. The DRZ would be a better freeway bike.

The FE (Enduro) models have the smaller front brake and non-17 inch rims suited for the dirt. The FS (Supermoto) models come with the bigger brakes and 17's as they are designed for the street/track. There's probably a brake caliper relocator for a bigger rotor on the FE and you could try to mix & match FS brakes/rims with an FE bike but this can become expensive solution.

If you want a dirtbike than can do some street get the FE. If you want a street/SM bike that will also do some occasional dirt get the FS.

No major tech updates to the Bergs since the 2004 model. only cosmetic changes.

Having owned both a DRZ and FE450e, I would choose the berg over the DRZ for the highway. The 6th gear is the main issue IMO.

Everyone has been extremely helpful. I thank all of you for your input. I'm pretty much sold. Now all I need to do is line up the bike. Think I'm going to go with the 2004 FS 450 E since money is a little tight after the holidays and hurricane.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all!

There is also a new Berg dealer in Miami. It is longevityracing.com.

That's sounds great but the site is crap. Nothing about selling bikes much less Husabergs. Do they have a showroom and do they actually have bikes?

Longevity Racing is a road racing school operated by John Long, and although I have not met him in person, I know for a fact that he has been road racing and running his motorcycle business for +/-30 years. I was recently refered to John Long by Brett Saunders and spoke on the telephone at length with John regarding an '06 FE450. I'm interested in either a Husaberg FE450 or a TE450 Husqvarna. Living in Tampa, I was concerned that both dealers (Husky and Husaberg) were 4+ hours away. However, the fact that Mr Long has been involved with motorcycles and the business for so many years would give me a lot of confidence in purchasing a Husaberg from him.

A.J.

'01 DRZ400E

'98 RMX250

I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't a good guy or it wasn't a legit place, just that it says nothing about selling Husabergs. So my question still stands, do they actually have Husaberg bikes there? The reason I'm asking is because I am very interesting in them and would love the opportunity to ride or at least SEE one.