Sign in to follow this  

whats wrong??

hello everyone, my friend just bought a baja dirt bike from pepboys its a 125cc and the damn thing came unadjusted like the carb, idle speed fuel air mixture etc. so i tried to adjust his bike by ear i would start my crf150 and kinda make his bike sound similar by adjusting his idle and what not. it seemed to be fine until we went riding and his bike slowly died while it was running. for example we would stop tot talk for a sec and his bike would slowly sputter till the bike dies. and also when he starts it to let it warm up the bike will start to rev up and idle high on its own. any suggestions on how i can fix the problem?? :applause::bonk:

Not trying to be a smarta$$$, but man......you get what you pay for.

Especially something with an engine! I would do a google search for a possible forum for those bikes and hope to find some info there. Might take a few hours of research until you find somebody who has found a cure. If I were going to buy a "Pep Boys" or other similar bike, I would have to hear it run and test ride it in the parking lot before I took it home.

Good luck in your quest for info.

A Pep-Boy motorcycle? And the question is "what's WRONG?"????

:applause:

oh man, that's a good one! ha ha ha ha - stop stop you're killin me, I can't take it! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

A Pep-Boy motorcycle? And the question is "what's WRONG?"????

:bonk:

oh man, that's a good one! ha ha ha ha - stop stop you're killin me, I can't take it! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:applause:

ok heres my non smart ass advise here....this sounds simliar to the probelm i was having with my crf150 heres what i want you to do..first go to walmart or autozone or whatever buy yourself some carburation spray cleaner read the direction do that..check your spark plug make sure its not burnt..then rejet the bike find out what size jets you have and maybe get the next size up ones youve done that get the bike running and turn the air fuel screw till the bike is at a steady speed do this when the bike is warm and then adjust the idle screw tell me if this helps

you guys gotta cut his friend some slack. some people are not fortunate enough to have a real "dirt bike", so they buy what they can to try and have the same amount of joy we do, and you laugh. im sure if he could have afforded a "real" dirt bike he would have one. not cool

Yep, I can see the writing. Sad part is, Japan designs a motor, sends the work to China to build. Makes the motor for Japan, then after the order, make a bunch more and then slap on other parts.

A majority of the pit bikes are wholesaled for $300 and change, so that means the bike was made and shipped for less then $150. That is a generalization but I do know the wholesale is under $400.

You can bet more to come.

Heck, when I was a kid I had those "mini-bikes" with 3.5HP Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines in them (and no suspension) and we had a great time with them.

I think some people here took the good ol' fashioned ribbing a little too seriously. C'mon, it's a PEP-BOYS motorcycle question posted in a forum for Honda CRF 150/230s! THAT in itself is FUNNY!

Seriously though, I looked at those bikes at Pep Boys for some friends and advised them to get a reputable-brand used bike out of the classifieds instead of those things. They are made to LOOK like real motorcycles but the quality is not very good, getting parts and service must be a challenge, and if the owner doesn't frequently check the bolts, frame, suspension components, etc. for cracks, etc. they could be dangerous to ride. They are made to look like dirt bikes but may actually be dangerous if the rider attempts to use them as a dirt bike. Just MHO with no sarcasm. It will be great if someone in here can help the guy get this thing running, but this topic will be of little use to others in this forum.

Before you go changing jets in the carb I'ld try adjusting the fuel screw first.

Maybe run that carb cleaner through it first.

Then try to set the fuel screw. (with it running at idle turn screw in and out until it idles strong).

If you can't get it to do this then try getting it to running it with the choke on half. If it runs better this way you need to go to the next larger jets.

If it don't run better try running it with the air filter out and the choke off. If it runs better this way you need smaller jets.

From the symptoms you described I would say too rich or maybe just a sticky float.

Well, the shoe fits me I guess so I'll put my .02$ worth. I have a 90cc PepBoys special and I've had my share of problems with it to be sure. I also have a 230, and Blaster and Badger quads. The 90cc PepBoys special was a learner bike for my boys and I'm at least glad to say it still runs after a year.

However, you do get what you pay for. It smokes more than my Blaster (it is supposed to be a 4T) and the bolts work lose after every ride. So far the tranny hasn't slipped (knock on wood) and the frame hasn't cracked, so perhaps my $700+ was semi-well spent. (more knocking)

Regarding your problem, I say take the carb apart and check it over real good. Also ensure the airfilter is on tight with no cracks. Also, check the idle screw itself. How easy does it move in and out? Mine seems a little too easy to adjust and seems to adjust itself when I ride from the vibration. Just something that may help.