Sign in to follow this  

not exactly your typical yohsi question

ok a little back story. I am a motorcycle stunter, i wanted to get a crf450 to stunt but it was to expensive to add street tires to. So i got the drzsm. I like just about everything about the bike but the lack of power. I've read on here that people really like the power gain they get from the yoshi pipe on their bikes. my problem is this bike will never see dirt, road trips are just for running around my town. I would like it to be louder as I have almost be taken out by a couple cars already and thats not an issue on my big bike with a loud exhaust. my question is is it worth it for me to get a 500 exhaust with my intentions of the bike? I was thinking of just dropping a tooth in front and maybe going up 2 in the rear to give me more engine break. I would also probably just get a end tip to make the bike louder. my wife is gave 350 to get some parts for christmas and i can just throw in the rest for the pipe, but i think it may be a better idea to try the cheaper route first since where i need the power is just on the low end and not through out the band. opinions? thanks guys

It sounds like you've answered your own question to some extent. Us guys with full yosh systems - both the Ti and RS-3, can tell you that it is a very powerful and when derestricted can be plenty loud exhaust. I got my RS-3 for $390. So you aren't too far off. If you want more of a stuntable bike I'd do the sprocket change and the exhaust. You won't be disapointed. Just look at the graphs Burned has posted, it tells you straight up that there is a noticeable increase with a full system. Let us know what you do.

1down 2 up sound good for the sprockets? or is there a better combination? also would the chain still fit?

It depends on how much streetability you want...top end MPH or low end torque. I went to a 14/47 and found that I couldn't go fast enough on the road for the freeway. After a new exhaust, and higher compression base gasket...I changed back to the stock 15/44 and can easily wheelie in second with no clutch, and if it's timed just right, even in third. If you are a stunter, my guess is you have good clutch usage. I'd stick a 14 CS sprocket and go with the 44 personally, if you want an unconfortable, high revving 65 MPH, go with the 47 rear. A good amount of torque there. Just my $1.42.

Hey Jeff good answer...not sure about the chain length on the SM...I know you can do 14/47 on the S....well according to the guys on this site you can and I hope so cos mine is 14/44 at the moment with a 47 rear on order...anyway to the point...How do you de-restrict the RS-3 and do the people you buy the pipe from know which jetting kit you need and do the pipe people tend to offer them for sale along with the pipe....one last thing did you/do you need to do the airbox mod?...thanks Steve

Hey Jeff good answer...not sure about the chain length on the SM...I know you can do 14/47 on the S....well according to the guys on this site you can and I hope so cos mine is 14/44 at the moment with a 47 rear on order...anyway to the point...How do you de-restrict the RS-3 and do the people you buy the pipe from know which jetting kit you need and do the pipe people tend to offer them for sale along with the pipe....one last thing did you/do you need to do the airbox mod?...thanks Steve

I am by no means an expert on anything just to let you know.

I too am unsure of the chain length on the SM, I have an S so am speaking from that standpoint. I do assume that it is the same as the S though.

Removing the spark arrestor from the RS-3 will make the thing much louder, and that is what I meant by derestriction. As for jetting of the pipe. I've heard that there is now an SM specific jetting kit as compared to the S model from DynoJet. If you go to the Jetting Forum, you will likely find all the info you need to properly jet your bike accounting for elevation, mods, etc...Burned can answer your jetting questions...and they are better answered in the jetting forum.

In my opinion, everyone should do the airbox mod. It is very simple and worth all five minutes that it takes. An exhaust, coupled with proper jetting and 3x3 mod will make you grin, I promise.

Go 14/47, 3x3, DJ kit and drill end cap. Huge difference and still lots of $$$ for tickets! :applause:

Search them all as they are all very sucessful.

...and drill end cap. Huge difference and still lots of $$$ for tickets! :applause:

Just realize that the drilling of the end cap will not show you a power increase, but rather just sound better. :bonk:

Go 14/47, 3x3, DJ kit and drill end cap. Huge difference and still lots of $$$ for tickets! :applause:

Search them all as they are all very sucessful.

How do you drill the end cap?

...I know you can do 14/47 on the S....well according to the guys on this site you can and I hope so cos mine is 14/44 at the moment with a 47 rear on order...

That's what keep on my S. I keep a 15cs handy for dual-sporting days.

What is the stock SM gearing? I can't find it anywhere! :applause: I take it it's not the same as the S???

What size is that nut on the countersprocket? Thing is large than anthing I got in my toolbox. Kinda hard to get to with large crescent wrench also.

Might just buy me the right size socket for it. Anyone know the size?

Thanks.

What size is that nut on the countersprocket? Thing is large than anthing I got in my toolbox. Kinda hard to get to with large crescent wrench also.

Might just buy me the right size socket for it. Anyone know the size?

Thanks.

If no one has answered by the time I get home I'll let you know the socket size.

As for the 14/47...if it will fit...and you like a torquie bike...go for it. But I doubt it will fit. The 44 rear is a more viable option I would think.

If no one has answered by the time I get home I'll let you know the socket size.

As for the 14/47...if it will fit...and you like a torquie bike...go for it. But I doubt it will fit. The 44 rear is a more viable option I would think.

Thanks Jeff, appreciate it.

can you run a 15/44 combo on the SM and still be able to adjust the chain properly :applause:
The stock chain is gonna be kind of short with a 44 rear.

The 15/41 with SM wheels puts you almost exact same overall ratio as 15/44 does with dirt wheels. Just a smidge higher.