Chevy S10

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dakota or Tacoma are the two I would go with if it is going to be a daily driver.

Something about the way the S-10's look draw me to them and I would like to have one as a toy but not as a main truck. Several people I know have them and have had lots of problems. Consumer Reports also rates them horribly although I know a lot of guys on here don't like Consumer Reports.

They seem to be a lot cheaper than other trucks and get good gas milage so with what you save you can spend a little on repairs though.

If it has the 4.3 motor, thats a good one. Anything American at 100k miles needs: water pump, radiator, alternator, brakes, a/c, heater core, stereo, cig lighter, etc etc.... But I'd buy it over a Toyota, when's the last time you bought a Toyota part?

If it has the 4.3 motor, thats a good one. Anything American at 100k miles needs: water pump, radiator, alternator, brakes, a/c, heater core, stereo, cig lighter, etc etc.... But I'd buy it over a Toyota, when's the last time you bought a Toyota part?

The radiator was something I forgot to mention my friends ZR2 needed when I posted the problems his had in the truck forum.

go for dakota, probably about 8 or 9 mpg.

I have a friend with a Dakota now granted it is a 2wd but it has the 5.9L some special edition used as an indy pacecar and they get around 16-18 of course my friend with the ZR2 does get around 20 but it's a lot smaller engine.

I'd look at the Toyota seriously like you and 2bb suggested.

We had 95 ish S10's for work, beat the crap out of them, 2wd versions. I broke the rear leaf springs on it, those 25mph speed bumps can do it, hit the gas on the other side and you get a smooth landing.

I drive Toyota trucks, have for a long time. Wouldn't get the s-10 although I like the looks of the 4wd's.

My 99 4.3 4wd has 147k on it. I replaced the fuel and water pump so far. A few small issues like door bushings and an alternator.The newer S-10's don't seem to take a beating like the pre 94 ones did. Never believe the so called consumer report B.S. They are very biased torwards imports.

My 99 4.3 4wd has 147k on it. I replaced the fuel and water pump so far. A few small issues like door bushings and an alternator.The newer S-10's don't seem to take a beating like the pre 94 ones did. Never believe the so called consumer report B.S. They are very biased torwards imports.

Because imports are more reliable. I have a Honda with 190k on it and have had less problems with it than any american vehicle I have owned none of which had that many miles. Too bad the imports can't design an engine worth a shit when it comes to power. The engines are the only thing that keeps me liking the american made vehicles. That and the import pickups can't handle the work the american made ones can so in the fullsize class I wouldn't get a Toyota but for a S-10 the Tacoma is just as good and can do everything the S-10 can with half the problems.

I have a friend with a Dakota now granted it is a 2wd but it has the 5.9L some special edition used as an indy pacecar and they get around 16-18 of course my friend with the ZR2 does get around 20 but it's a lot smaller engine.

I'd look at the Toyota seriously like you and 2bb suggested.

It is not really a special edition, it was just an option available for 4 or 5 years. I rode in one though, and let me say this. It was CRAZY! It has no weight on the rear tires, and with that big 5.9L V8, it could spin the tires when we were doing 50 and it was an automatic. As far as I know, it is the only mid size truck that has a V8. They stopped making them in like 2001 or 2002 or something.

It is not really a special edition, it was just an option available for 4 or 5 years. I rode in one though, and let me say this. It was CRAZY! It has no weight on the rear tires, and with that big 5.9L V8, it could spin the tires when we were doing 50 and it was an automatic. As far as I know, it is the only mid size truck that has a V8. They stopped making them in like 2001 or 2002 or something.

You sure? Maybe not I thought he was telling me it was used as a pace car before they got it but maybe not. Or maybe it was but not anything special about it other than that.

He says it has the stock ehxaust yet it's as loud as my Flowmasters are on my Ram with the same engine or if not as loud close to as loud did they come with a special exhaust or what?

90k is nothing on a V6 S-10, when treated right (and often even when NOT treated right) they'll easily run 3 times that with very few problems. Very solid little trucks.

Avoid the 4 bangers if you want to use the truck for anything other than daily transportation, the V6 will hold up better and actually do alittle work once in awhile too.