fitting trailtech computer to XR400

Has anyone fitted a trailtech computer to there XR400. I am thinking of buying one but what was wondering if they are difficult to fit. Can I still keep the original instruments i.e. run the trailtech in conjunction with the original?How much work is involved to fit the trailtech?

Rayza

XR400- 05

WR200 - 96

There is no need for you to keep the original equipment on and pretty sure you will notice that after your first use. I use the Billet protector that mounts to the front handlebar mount bolts and centers it with the handlebars. I wrecked my first Trail Tech without the guard and since buying the Billet protector I have had no problems with the new one in a couple of years. I make sure I remove the unit at wash time. As for install, it is very easy, the hardest part is getting the pickup attached the the front caliper. thumbsup:

I had a Trail Tech on my XR400 with the billet mount housing. You can keep the stock odometer, but you'll have to buy a relocation bracket from Scotts, XR's Only or someone else to move it to the far right side of the triple clamp. The Trail Tech mounts where the stock odo mounts.

I can honestly say that I had no problems with it in the 1347 miles and 34 hours that I used it-- and it was UNBELIEVABLY accurate, but I am old school and it is too much of a fancy gadget for me.

By the way...the whole set up is for sale for $50, computer, mount, billet housing, original boxes and instructions, etc.

I would include the relocation bracket for the stock odometer $20 more.

I just installed one today along with new Pro Taper bars on my 250. The computer took me a bit to install only b/c I'm really anal. You do have to remove the brake caliper to mount the sensor. Not a big deal at all. Next I ran the wire up the fork. I did cut the 2 plastic guides that the brake hose runs up through so that I could slip the wire for the computer in it. Afterwards, I epoxied over where I cut.

The docking station would not mount to my stock odometer plate. Mounting it to my bars was not an option b/c I couldn't see the screen then. The guy at TT wanted to sell me the billet one. I wanted to get it done today. I ended up making my own plate from aluminum diamond plate. I bolted in the location of the stock plate. I drilled 2 holes throught the diamond plate and ran 2 self-tapping screws up into the docking station. Then I bolted the plate to the top clamp. Wires are hidden and it looks clean.

My only concern was with the magnet on the rotor. I think they want XR owners to drill a 3/8 hole in the rotor and use a small magnet with a lock ring. I ended up using a supplied magnetic bolt in place of one of the rotor bolts. It didn't line up very well with the sensor but it reads. Wont know until tomorrow if it's accurate.

jacso7.jpg

jacsya.jpg

jactj5.jpg

jactuc.jpg

jacu2h.jpg

jadeex.jpg

jademe.jpg

I installed a Trail Tech Computer on my 04' XR250 yesterday. I used the rotor replacement bolt and I had to slide the pickup sensor 1/4" away from the bolt hole. The directions show mounting it closer to the top bolt hole. I could not get a reading in this location. :bonk: It works great in the new location, no problems. :applause:

I have the Top mount, Check it out.

Nice pics. :applause: From the first pic, it looks like the billet would be fairly tight against the front number plate (but looks like you don't have it installed). Can you tell the rest of us, who do have the plate, if the billet mount will press against it and bend it out of alignment? Additionally, did you have any issues with getting the cabling and brake lines routed around the billet?

This and a few other items are my next upgrades for the bike. Glad to see this thread and the info in it. Very helpful.

I installed a Trail Tech Computer on my 04' XR250 yesterday. I used the rotor replacement bolt and I had to slide the pickup sensor 1/4" away from the bolt hole. The directions show mounting it closer to the top bolt hole. I could not get a reading in this location. :bonk: It works great in the new location, no problems. :applause:

Can you point out the rotor bolt part number you used? The trailtech site doesn't list a part for the XR (or I somehow missed it). Also, some closeup pics of the rotor/bolt setup would be nice and helpful for those of us following along... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, saiy no more).

My only concern was with the magnet on the rotor. I think they want XR owners to drill a 3/8 hole in the rotor and use a small magnet with a lock ring.

Man, I don't know about that. I didn't have to do that to my 400. Is the 250 Rotor different?

Here is what I did, I mounted the sensor pickup to caliper per directions.

1. I had to drill a tiny hole in the caliper and mount it with a supplied screw.

2. route wire up along side (zip tied) to the brake line and mount the base in the Billet protector.

3. I drilled out one of the slotted holes in the rotor a little with a Dremel tool and epoxied the magnet into place. It really fit very tight and probably did not need epoxy, but I used some anyway.

4. Set the time, date, and wheel size and i was off and running. You can do as little or as much of the setup on the unit as you need, I only use speed, Dist., hours, and maintainance durations.

I hope the pics. are clear enough that you can see everything.

I have a half vented CRF450 number plate. It fit right into place with little adjustments. The billet prtector just fits on top of my front plate top mount bolt with no problem or deflection of plate.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/CZM400R/100_1258.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/CZM400R/100_1257.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/CZM400R/100_1256.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/CZM400R/100_1255.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/CZM400R/100_1254.jpg

Is the Trailtech a good device to use in enduros ? I want to start riding enduros this coming year, have been reading may articles about timekeeping setups - anywhere from 400 dollar computers to cheapo "pep boys" digital clocks mounted on the bars along with a ? paper scrolling device. Any direction would be appreciated.

Man, I don't know about that. I didn't have to do that to my 400. Is the 250 Rotor different?

I just looked again and the instructions do want you to drill a 3/8 hole in the rotor between the slotted portion. If you look at the last picture that cmanno posted, they show it being just to the left of that. It doesn't make sense though. Why not just do what he did and drill out the bottom of the slot and slip the magnet in there? I just did that. It's tight. I epoxied it and installed the clip on the back of it. It is closer to the sensor this way.

I just got a PM from someone who did the install using the Trail Tech Rare Earth Magnetic bolt and he said I could go ahead and share the info so here it is.

I saw your question about the magnetic rotor bolt used with the Endurance computer. on my XR400, i did this and it worked perfectly. the bolt is the one for CR125s (and most CRs built in the last 10 years.... same brakes). I had no problem mounting the sender on the caliper bracket; and the magnet sweeps very close to the end of the sender, but does not actually pass under it. since its a rare-earth magnet this poses no problem.

I will say that a couple of years ago trail tech had a problem with machining the ss brake rotor magnet bolt but they fixed it. btw, their customer service is great.

I've been meaning to post this tip along (w/ some others), but i mostly just lurk so i never got around to it. if you want to pass it on please feel free to do so.

in short: get the the CR mounting kit for XR400/250s. its much cleaner.

For the pickup - assuming that it pulses one time per revolution - you could use the pulse generator from an '85 XR350R. It is a small piece that screws into the top of speedo cable and has two wires off of it (the '85 xr had an electronic enduro computer).

This would allow you to continue to use the stock speedo cable and not worry about the wire to the pickup on the wheel, etc.

jeff