Boots put me in the hospital, what to do?

I am pissed off.

Earlier this year I bought a pair of rather expensive brand name MX boots. After a few rides the right sole came off and the left one started to peel.

I contacted the company three times to get the boots fixed, each time they promised to call back but didn't.

I got tired of the game and had them fixed at a local shoe repair place on my dime. They reattached the right sole and glued the gap that had opened up on the left side.

Yesterday I was out in the woods riding when the left sole suddenly came off causing me to slip off the peg and slam my foot into some roots.

I broke my toe.

This was no fault of mine.

Should I forget about it and move on? Or get a lawyer?

There are medical bills, ER visit, lost income (I'm self employed), and of course several weeks of no riding.

Did I mention I'm pissed off?

4Takt

I am pissed off.

Earlier this year I bought a pair of rather expensive brand name MX boots. After the second ride the right sole came off and the left one started to peel.

I contacted the company three times to get the boots fixed, each time they promised to call back but didn't.

I got tired of the game and had them fixed at a local shoe repair place on my dime. They reattached the right sole and glued the gap that had opened on the left side.

Yesterday I was out in the woods riding when the left sole suddenly came off causing me to slip off the peg and slam my foot into some roots.

I broke my toe.

This was no fault of mine.

Should I forget about it and move on? Or get a lawyer?

There are medical bills, ER visit, lost income (I'm self employed), and of course several weeks of no riding.

Did I mention I'm pissed off?

4Takt

Ok so you knowingly rode with a faulty set of boots, after have some place try and glue them back togeather,, your cut rate repair job failed, on your faulty boots,, and you think it is anyones fault but your own :applause:

As nicely as I can say it....... No one to blame but your self,,,

Try this

Personal responsibility

I would like to say more,, but then I would have to ban myself

You have a right to be pissed, however, unless there is a warranty, your out of luck. You could tell them that if they wont replace the boots you will tell the 80,000 people here that their boots suck.

Ok so you knowingly rode with a faulty set of boots, after have some place try and glue them back togeather,, your cut rate repair job failed, on your faulty boots,, and you think it is anyones fault but your own :applause:

Try this

Personal responsibility

The boot company never called him back, he took them to get repaired, but they still fell apart. I dont see how this was his fault. How was he supposed to know that the repair wouldn't hold up?

Bummer... yer screwed... Hope you heal up quick.

Try this

Personal responsibility

You might want to read my post again and pay some attention. My "cut rate repair job" did not fail, it was the other sole that came off this time.

As far as me knowing they were faulty, how so? Because I should expect a pair of $300 boots to last six months top?

4Takt

The boot company never called him back, he took them to get repaired, but they still fell apart. I dont see how this was his fault. How was he supposed to know that the repair wouldn't hold up?

:bonk::cry::cry: I know I have a piece of protective gear that is faulty,, I can not get the manufacture to fix it, I have some"other" place try and fix my faulty gear.. And I CHOOSE to assume my own risky behavior and use this known faulty protective gear on a ride. :applause:

Should he be upset the boots were not repaired or replaced by the manufacture?? You bet (of course we only have 1/2 the story on that,, it would not be the first time the customer said one thing, and the business said something different all togeather,,and that turned out to be the more correct version)

The boots should have held up a advertised,,,, they did not, he used them any way.

:bonk::cry::cry: I know I have a piece of protective gear that is faulty,, I can not get the manufacture to fix it, I have some"other" place try and fix my faulty gear.. And I CHOOSE to assume my own risky behavior and use this known faulty protective gear on a ride. :applause:

I'll say it again, try to read the words. The repair held up fine. The other boot failed.

4Takt

I'll say it again, try to read the words. The repair held up fine. The other boot failed.

4Takt

Ok i'll play,,, you had a faulty piece of protective equipment and made a poor choice to use it anyway,, ,, YOUR FAULT :applause:

The maker should fix the boots,, no question :bonk: You should not have used them when you knew they were faulty... That makes it your fault :cry:

4Takt

Playing devil's advocate here so don't get your panties in a wad. :applause:

One half of a new pair of boots failed. This should have been unexpected and, as you said, it was. It's reasonable to expect a pair of MX boots to last a decent amount of time. However, once there was a premature failure it would also have been reasonable to assume there might be a manufacturing defect that could have affected BOTH boots. Therefore, you should have put them away and not tried to fix or use them at all. By doing so you assumed the risk of their continuing failure, whether it was the repaired one or not. I think that's what Bronco is trying to convey to you. :bonk:

Playing devil's advocate here so don't get your panties in a wad. :cry:

One half of a new pair of boots failed. This should have been unexpected and, as you said, it was. It's reasonable to expect a pair of MX boots to last a decent amount of time. However, once there was a premature failure it would also have been reasonable to assume there might be a manufacturing defect that could have affected BOTH boots. Therefore, you should have put them away and not tried to fix or use them at all. By doing so you assumed the risk of their continuing failure, whether it was the repaired one or not. I think that's what Bronco is trying to convey to you. :p

:bonk::cry::cry:

Yes,, right to be pissed as hell the boots fell apart before their time.. Darn right,, and I would be working very hard with that company to fix or replace them :applause:

But if ya use something you know is faulty,, I think you assume all further responsibility for anything that happens.

It sucks you got hurt (I broke two toes last year when I got them caught between the peg and a hidden stump, darn happy I had on some good boots to protect the foot)

Playing devil's advocate here so don't get your panties in a wad. :applause:

One half of a new pair of boots failed. This should have been unexpected and, as you said, it was. It's reasonable to expect a pair of MX boots to last a decent amount of time. However, once there was a premature failure it would also have been reasonable to assume there might be a manufacturing defect that could have affected BOTH boots. Therefore, you should have put them away and not tried to fix or use them at all. By doing so you assumed the risk of their continuing failure, whether it was the repaired one or not. I think that's what Bronco is trying to convey to you. :bonk:

I understand that.

I'm still pissed off though. I mean it's one thing to know you're on crutches popping Vicodin because you rode over your abilities, it's much more frustrating if it didn't have to happen had the boot maker held up their part of the deal.

What would you have done after the manufacturer didn't reply? Throw away two week old boots and buy another pair?

Notice I didn't even mention the company. I'm not trying to be unfair, just venting.

4Takt

4Takt

For a broken toe, you gotta be joking. :applause:

For a broken toe, you gotta be joking. :applause:

I was thinking the same thing... but as he did not state how bad :bonk: Docs do nothing for a fractured toe,, but tell ya to go away,,,,, now if it was dislocated, or did real damage to the joint :cry::cry:

Anyway,,, your right to be pissed,,, the boot should not have fallen apart. BUT,, IMHO,, you knowingly used that faulty boot,, so the rest is on you.

I would consider sending a POLITE AND BUSINESSLIKE letter to the company with your complaint. I would enclose a complete description of what happened and a copy of the bills connected with the boot related injury. Then let them know that while you are in no hurry to get a lawyer or slam them on TT, you do want the boot problem (not the medical bills, just the boots) remedied to your satisfaction before you are able to ride again. I would make sure that you give them a solid timeframe for action on their part. If not, I would look for a lawyer. Not because what you did was smart, or even right, but I have seen time and again that big companies ignore customers because it is easier than making things right. They *should* have stood behind their product in the 1st place.

I mean it's one thing to know you're on crutches popping Vicodin because you rode over your abilities, 4Takt

The plot thickens?

4Takt

Your insurance company should cover the first 2 items for sure, and some will even provide some money to cover bills, food, etc while you are unable to work. You did have health insurance while you engaged in this moderately dangerous sport, right?

Your insurance company should cover the first 2 items for sure, and some will even provide some money to cover bills, food, etc while you are unable to work. You did have health insurance while you engaged in this moderately dangerous sport, right?

Yes, I have good insurance, still gonna cost me co-pay.

4Takt

It sucks that you got hurt, but be responsible for your own actions. That's why tracks and riding areas get closed all the time because people are not responsible for their own actions. It's always someone elses fault except their own.

b78 is right on the money.

486p, if the company did anything at this point, they would inadvertently be accepting some fault...so, they are not going to do $hit.

i gota ask...if your $39.99 helmet failed when you hit a tree while wearing it?...who's fault is it for your injury? it sure did fail when you needed it the most!LOL

good luck with your case, let us now how it progresses.