Sign in to follow this  

getting a box to ship suspension?

I am going to ship my suspension off to get it set up for me. I need a box for the forks and shock. I have always heard people say to just go to the ups store and get a box to ship it in. does anyone have any experience with this? do they have boxes big enough? anyone know?

ups store has good boxes but they are over priced...at enzo i saw alot of gun cases with forks in them...they are fully padded but its probably cheaper to find a long box and just wrap the crap outa them with bubble wrap

yep..a big box from the ups store will run you at least 15$...rip off unless u provide ur own..i say gun case...way more protection

so acually thinking about it in the long run it will probably be cheaper/safer to get a gun case since u wont need to buy bubble wrap/box etc

ups store has good boxes but they are over priced...at enzo i saw alot of gun cases with forks in them...they are fully padded but its probably cheaper to find a long box and just wrap the crap outa them with bubble wrap

What a great idea :applause:

I used gun cases. Make sure you get the insurance. Only down side to using gun cases is people think that there is gun in the case. One of mine got opened up. Not sure if they were trying to steal it thinking it was a gun or if the shipping company wanted to check it. I insured mine for $750/ fork and $1000 for the shock. Whatever you use make sure you wrap it all up good. Shipping companies are hard on packages.

Shipping companies are hard on packages.

I was in my house looking out the front window when UPS pulls up. The guy gets out of the truck, walks half way to my front door, across my lawn (it had rained the day before and was a bit soft) and hurls a small package at my door. Fortunately nothing breakable was inside, but I learned a valuable lesson that day- don't trust anyone to treat your crap well.

I was in my house looking out the front window when UPS pulls up. The guy gets out of the truck, walks half way to my front door, across my lawn (it had rained the day before and was a bit soft) and hurls a small package at my door. Fortunately nothing breakable was inside, but I learned a valuable lesson that day- don't trust anyone to treat your crap well.

Yeah, I work for a large shipping company (not UPS) and you should see what the packages go through during offload and onload. But you can't expect them to treat every package with kid gloves because you would never get your stuff on time. Wrap it up as best you can.

If you was closer to NC I could hook you up with a great box. It is what I do for a living.....

A couple of years ago I just called Factory connection and they sent me a box for free.The other day i went to the ups store and was charged only 6-7 bucks for a box plenty big enough for the shock and forks.

Last time I just went to Home Depot and grabbed one of the boxes they sell fluorescent light tubes in. I found one about empty, slid the remaining tubes in another box and walk to the front. I walk to Customer service and said "Hey, I'm snagging this box, OK?" They shook they're heads YES and I walked out. :applause:

I still had to whittle it down a little but that's what packing tapes for.

Last time I just went to Home Depot and grabbed one of the boxes they sell fluorescent light tubes in. I found one about empty, slid the remaining ones in another box and walk to the front. I walk to Customer service and said "Hey, I'm snagging this box, OK?" They shook they're heads YES and I walked out. :applause:

I still had to whittle it down a little but that's what packing tapes for.

Thats what I used when I shipped mine off. Worked great just bubble wrap them up really good and put insurance on them in case they get lost or damaged.