Sign in to follow this  

New Ca. license plate for my XR400 today

Just got back today from the DMV today with a new dual sport registration for my son's XR400 :cry: With some pointers and help from TT member KCT (Awesome guy by the way) I was able to get my bike plated for road use today without much hassle except the gal at the DMV had to work with her supervisor since she was not familiar with the process. It took awhile but it was time well spent. I had to have a light inspection completed and a vehicle vin number verification and I was good to go. With those forms completed they walked me through the process and 65 bucks later I had my new plate :applause::bonk: It can still be done for green sticker bikes and I owe many thanks to KCT for walking me through the process.

What year is your XR400 and was it already offroad registered in ca?

What DMV?

:applause:

The bike is a 2000 XR400 and it had a current California green sticker. I live in Santa Rosa and used the DMV office here in town.

Let the good times roll! This is why the guy charging 1400 bucks for the process was getting poor reviews. It's doable if you take the time to find out what needs to be done. Nothing illegal about it, the supervisor proved that.

What did your VIN verification say where it say "meets emission requirements for" ??????

I don't have the form copy any longer but if I remember the box was checked that said meets california emission requirements.

What did your VIN verification say where it say "meets emission requirements for" ??????

I too would like to know.

Sometimes you get a lot of bad info about topics like getting a plate for a dirt bike. Here in NC I had at least 5 dealers tell me it could not be done. A guy was selling a bike I was looking at buying so he called the DMV and they said it was not a problem to get it done. I guess the dealers didn't bother to call the DMV and ask - they just relied on bad info.

It's easy in California, all it takes is one incorrectly checked box. :applause:

Depending on who you get, not only that!

I GOT that box checked, by the police dept. DMV lady then tells me the DMV must do the inspection, NOBODY else, not the CPH, or anyone else.

Me? Oh yeah. Multiple times and multiple DMVs.

I will say this once: It is NOT legal in California to plate a dirtbike that doesnt have a sticker saying it meets California onroad requirements.

You cant argue with this: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/v...003/03vin11.pdf

YES its possible to get around it, but its not 100% legal.

Me? Oh yeah. Multiple times and multiple DMVs.

I will say this once: It is NOT legal in California to plate a dirtbike that doesnt have a sticker saying it meets California onroad requirements.

You cant argue with this: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/v...003/03vin11.pdf

YES its possible to get around it, but its not 100% legal.

I am in total agreement, you might get a plate but you are not legal. It would not surprise me if the DMV were to realize these bikes are slipping through and start revoking plates, or just not allowing them to be renewed.

My next bike will be a Husqvarna and if everyone else does the same Honda, Yamaha, Kawisaki, Suzuki, and KTM will come around.

My wife and I have put about 200 miles on our new Husqvarnas and think they are great. I would highly recommend them.

Now I just need to sell our legally street plated 2002 CRF450's.

Great news Rolliton. I recently bought a 98 XR400 that is now green stickered in Calif. I was told by many sources that since Dec 02 you could no longer convert green sticker to street legal. Just goes to show that you cannot believe all you hear/read.

I am in total agreement, you might get a plate but you are not legal. It would not surprise me if the DMV were to realize these bikes are slipping through and start revoking plates, or just not allowing them to be renewed.

I had my bike inspected by the DMV and the CHP. They both signed off on it. Its an 04 DRZ E. I am totally legal. I think there is conflicting information, and even the DMV isn't sure what you can and can't do. It did take me quite a few trips to the DMV to get it done.

Can it be done?

Yes, I did it.

Is it really legal?

I dont think so, I think, like many others, I managed to slip through, and from what the DMV has in print they are not supposed to plate a dirt bike unless it has "CA On-Highway Emmissions".

When I did mine it was very easy, in and out of the DMV in 20 minutes, I had all the paperwork filled out, inspection done at the CHP (the inspection, according to the DMV, does not have to be done by the DMV, it says right on the registration paperwork it can be done by a qualified law enforcement officer) and I had proof of insurance. My inspection stated my bike had "CA On-Highway Emmissions" :applause: .

I sure hope they dont take my plate back, but if it was to happen it would be a good reason to buy an '06 TE510.

Here's something I noticed. There are 3 different versions of DMV form 343 (VIN Verification)

One has a box that says "meets Cal. standards for off highway vehicles" This is the current one that you can download from DMV's website. This can be a problem because it makes the person doing the inspection think about it.

I've got 2 other versions of this form and neither one has a box that says that.

They just say "vehicle meets US and California standards" there is no box that says "off road" This would be the form to take to your local Police/Sheriff Dept. to get signed off.

The 3rd form is just like the second one with the exception

that it states "emissions label can only be verified by...DMV, authorized auto club or licensed vehicle verifier.

This would be a good one to stay away from I would imagine.

I don't even remember how I got all these different versions of the same form.

Just my 2 cents.